Black Ink: The Cheaper The Better?

Amirography

Hey guys. After a lot of exploring between different colors, I'm sensing a pattern specially about black inks. It seems to me that the rule of thumb is that cheaper the ink, the more wonderful it is.

I tried Caran D'ache (very disappointing, behaved well, but nothing special) Montblanc (Better than Caran D'ache, not impressing still) Lamy (Great bottle, the same as mont-blanc, behaves well, nothing impressive) parker Quint (impressive ink, behaves awesomely, no special properties). But the most awesome experience I've had (and still have) is with Pelikan Brilliant black. Which here is the cheapest of them all ( 1/10 of Caran D'ache). Yet it is water resistant like hell, have a awesome drying time, very well behaved, Not too dry or too wet, very black, featherless than many, very limited bleed through, very good flow, works really well with many different FPs, and finally has a good (not as beautiful as many others) bottle.

Other than that, It seems that there is a loooooot of noodler fans here. I don't have access to those here but it seems that it is a very cheap ink.

It is what it seems to me. What do you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HollyGolightly

• tmenyc

• Fabienne

• inkstainedruth

I can offer one data point that breaks the pattern pretty well: Aurora Black. IMO (and that of a lot of folks) it is one of the very best black inks, but it is also not cheap.

It is not Cd'A expensive (but what is, sheesh!) but it is not cheap per mL.

The other challenge is asserting 'the cheaper the better,' of course is "better" is very subjective.

That said, I do agree that Pelikan Black is a heck of a value.

Best Regards, greg

Edited by gregamckinney

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Chesterfield, I have really been impressed by them. Their prices are great, too. The other colors are well worth exploring.

I'll second this. I have one bottle but it's one of my favorite inks. Been meaning to pick up another color at some point.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

The only black ink I have is Noodler's bulletproof black, and it works well enough for me to not desire another black.

I agree with both - I think that Pelikan Brillianit Black and Aurora Black are the best black colors. And I have tried (and possess) Noodler's varieties of black inks too.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Black is not my area of expertise, but I have heard great things about the inks Erick mentioned! I believe they are two well loved blacks around these parts.

Best truly depends on what you're after from a black ink- if you need the blackest ink imaginable, archival qualities, UV resistance, water fastness, etc. I don't think there's any one ink out there that is the best in every single category but we don't all require each of those boxes to be ticked.

I myself don't own any blacks, but have several samples I never bothered to test fully. I'll need to get on that, soon!

Yea, Noodler's is the berries, but I think it's a bit more expensive than Chesterfield. 4.5 oz on Goulet for $18 (.13 per ml). It's still a bargain, especially since it's waterproof as hell, black as hell, smooth as hell, and just about perfect. Lucky you, you have a lot from which to choose.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My first choice is Aurora Black, then Brilliant Black which is also Private labeled as Cross Black ink.

I have had good experience with Pelikan Brilliant Black as well. Cheap uncomplicated black ink that just works...

Noodler's Borealis Black is purported to be a knockoff of Aurora Black. Neither is waterproof, which is a deal breaker for me.

I like Parker Quink. It sort of shades from deep black to grey, lubricates the nib very well (on par with Waterman), cleans out easily from the pens, and it's highlighter friendly if you let it dry for a couple of days. Last, it comes in 57ml, for a grand total of 5.90

So, yes. I believe that if you're not after premium inks, the cheaper the better. After all, if you think about it, it is cheaper to invest in a Lamy Safari and a bottle of ink than buy enough Pilot G2 to go through the year (for me, two packs of 12)

Edited by sciumbasci

It is so great to know so many different tastes. But it still seems to me that with exception of Aurora Black (which I believe I heard from most) the rule still applies.

I'll need to get on that, soon!

Christina,

Let me know if you want some Noodlers Old Manhattan Black..I'll bring some to you.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Christina,

Let me know if you want some Noodlers Old Manhattan Black..I'll bring some to you.

Tim

Tim!!! I was actually wanting to try that. Yes please! I heard it's darker than the standard Noodler's Black. Is it equally bulletproof?

So as I am not derailing the thread, these are the things I personally need from a black ink:

• Lightfastness
  • Waterproof (I deign to use it to line my sketches in my sketchbook for watercoloring purposes)
  • Very Dark (I have Lexington Gray so I personally do not need a black that is only sort of black or leans more gray. Actually now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind a shading black for in my sketching FPs but I would like a very dark black to use in my brush pens.)

Come to think of it, I'm also looking for a brown with those same properties! The search is on~ ;)

Edited by Christina

Have two blacks - one is Noodler's Black the other is one that is not commercially available that I was a tester for, I rarely use either. The last time I used black was a G2 refill in a Waterman Hemisphere rollerball to write a check.

What I have is good enough. And I don't have a lot invested.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

There's Hero ink that's said to be incredibly cheap at £2-3 per 6ml bottle.. Never used it so can't give my personal stamp of approval I'm afraid but reviews thinks it's quite decent.

Edited by Bluey

Aurora Black is still the best black for me, and that's after having used black fountain pen inks for more than a decade exclusively before discovering the joy of other ink colours.

I sign important documents and cheques with a Uni-Ball Signo Premier 207.

Tim!!! I was actually wanting to try that. Yes please! I heard it's darker than the standard Noodler's Black. Is it equally bulletproof?

Well, I haven't shot at it yet, but a stain on a white shirt (that of course I keep wearing...) is showing great potential of outlasting the shirt. Its only problem for me is that it takes a bit of time to dry if not diluted, which for a lefty overwriter is a problem. I'll bring you some.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I don't think that quite right. I think there are good black inks through out the pricing spectrum. The cheaper the black ink, the better it is, is just not true