• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LPWaterhouse

• slippery when wet

• Tom Kellie

• jpierson

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it would be a post war pen up until the early 1950s. Any other photos of other markings?

Edited by jpierson

You may already know , but unfortunately the nib is not original to the pen

You may already know , but unfortunately the nib is not original to the pen

I think you're right.

Feed looks like an original early feed, though. Same as my 234.

Gold cap bands make me think post-war?

Although, also they were used early-war/pre-war, I believe, until the gold rationing kicked in and current stock was used up?

Great pens.

I wonder if the replacement nib was to replace a steel (wartime) nib? I've seen that happen, before.

The wartime steel nibs are excellent. Got one in my 234-1/2 BB. It's a daily carry. Highly recommended nibs.

In fact, I'm using old MB steel nibs in both my daily pens, since I got them. Haven't used a gold nib in months!

Enjoy

I think you're right.

Feed looks like an original early feed, though. Same as my 234.

Gold cap bands make me think post-war?

Although, also they were used early-war/pre-war, I believe, until the gold rationing kicked in and current stock was used up?

Great pens.

I wonder if the replacement nib was to replace a steel (wartime) nib? I've seen that happen, before.

The wartime steel nibs are excellent. Got one in my 234-1/2 BB. It's a daily carry. Highly recommended nibs.

In fact, I'm using old MB steel nibs in both my daily pens, since I got them. Haven't used a gold nib in months!

Enjoy

Yes, BB nibs are definitely my favorite. Especially on the old Montblancs and Pelikans. Nice expressive line quality! I never tried the steel ones but heard that they're just as flexible and fantastic. This nib is a broad and it's very bouncy and pleasurable to write with (the blind cap does have a corresponding "B" on it). In my gut I feel this pen is early-war early 40s. When I got the pen, the section wasn't screwed on properly and was leaking ink onto my fingers, so it must have been disassembled at one point. (which supports the theory that indeed the nib could have possibly been installed at a later time). When I took it apart to reset the section, nib and feed the construction seemed older to me than my 234-1/2 Luxury from the early 50's, which has a slightly more robust feel. When do you think the nib could have been manufactured?

Edited by LPWaterhouse

The 234 1/2 is one my favorite pens. I have 5 different versions and always keep at least 2 inked. My best guess is the pen was manufactured around 1948. As others have mentioned the nib does not appear to be original to the pen. Check the penboard.de web site's pen database for many examples of the 234 1/2. Congratulations on your acquisition and enjoy it for many years to come.

Yes, BB nibs are definitely my favorite. Especially on the old Montblancs and Pelikans. Nice expressive line quality! I never tried the steel ones but heard that they're just as flexible and fantastic. This nib is a broad and it's very bouncy and pleasurable to write with...

~ It's encouraging to read these positive comments.

Several vintage Montblancs and Pelikans with wider nibs are expected to arrive within the coming weeks.

The hope that they might offer an expressive line quality is pleasantly reaffirmed in your post.

Thank you!

Tom K.