Mohi Brown Rippled Ebonite Pen With A Clear Acrylic Barrel End

Mitinder

Mohi pens are hand made by Abhey Pen Agencies, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India. They make ebonite and acrylic pens but use nibs from some other manufacturer whose name was not divulged to me. I bought an ebonite pen which was described as “Ebonite Large with Back Window” in brown ripple with chrome trim. It is a delightful looking pen which I am going to review.

Design

It is a hand-made ebonite fountain pen with the last part of barrel made of clear acrylic to act as ink window with chrome trim in brown and black rippled colour. It is a medium sized pen. It has a cylindrical shape with straight cut ends and a the tear drop clip. The cap has a 2mm chrome cap ring and clip has a crisp Mohi inscribed on it. It is an eye-dropper filler. The brown rippled ebonite is of good quality and the clear acrylic ink window at the rear end of the barrel is a very charming feature of this pen and perhaps the reason I bought it.

fpn_1464199119__mps_2146.jpg

The pen cap opens in 2 1/2 turns, which is a very welcome feature. The straight stepped section is of a very correct thickness and length making good for tireless writing. The stainless steel nib is small for the size of pen and spoils the looks of the pen.

3.5/5

Dimensions

Weight: 20 gms

Length: 133 mm (5.4”)

Length of uncapped pen: 120 mm (4.75”)

Posted length: 165 mm (6.5”)

Diameter of section: 12 mm (0.5”)

Barrel diameter: 14 mm (0.65”)

It is a medium sized pen with nice dimensions, weight and balance when posted. The nib is disproportionately small effecting the overall beauty of an attractive pen.

3/5

Nib & Performance

The nib is marked “Mohi” Tipped fine. It is a firm steel nib with a 5mm feed.

fpn_1464199103__nib_2.jpg

The nib is reasonably wet but very scratchy.

2.5/5

Filling system

The pen is an eye dropper filler and holds 5 ml of ink. The clear acrylic “back window” adds to the charm as soon as the pen is inked. Eye dropper fillers are not my choice of filling systems because they tend to have an inconsistent ink flow and do burp. This pen was burping real bad till I adjusted the feed.

3/5

Value for Money

The pen is priced at INRs 500/- plus postage (US$ 8 approximately plus postage). The pen looks beautiful and the acrylic window adds a different kind of charm to the pen. The quality of ebonite and polishing is extremely good.

fpn_1464199140__mps_2152.jpg

5/5

It is a proud part of my Indian Hand turned fountain pens collection.

They can be bought by whatsapp at +919225328858

Total Score: 17/25

Edited by Mitinder

fpn_1464105221__meteore.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• Mitinder

• amk

• jay.is.here

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review. Ink window at the end is quite unique.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Nice review and pen, it has a very similar design to the asa mavern.

Nice review and pen, it has a very similar design to the asa mavern.

yes... but maven has rounded ends...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

ASA Maven Images as Below:

fpn_1464347226__img_20160313_1428421.jpg

fpn_1464347289__img_20160313_1437481.jpg

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter