Mohi Tanishq, An Acrylic Hand Turned Fountain Pen

Mitinder

Mohi pens are hand made by Abhey Pen Agencies, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India. They make ebonite and acrylic pens but use nibs from some other manufacturer whose name was not divulged to me. I bought one Mohi Acrylic Tanishq in cracked ice colour.

Design

Tanishq is an acrylic hand-made fountain pen with chrome trim in cracked ice resin. It is a small sized pen. It has a cylindrical shape with straight cut ends and a the tear drop clip. The cap has a 2mm chrome cap ring and clip has a crisp Mohi inscribed on it. It is an eye-dropper filler and the translucent acrylic resin is very attractive with swirls of mother of pearl luminescence.

fpn_1464198837__mps_2157.jpg

The pen cap opens in 2 1/2 turns, which is a very welcome feature. The straight stepped section is of a very correct thickness and length making good for tireless writing. The stainless steel nib is small for the size of pen and looks disproportionate, taking some thing away from a beautiful pen.

4/5

Dimensions

Weight: 18 gms

Length: 126 mm (5.2”)

Length of uncapped pen: 113 mm (4.5”)

Posted length: 149 mm (5.9”)

Diameter of section: 12 mm (0.5”)

Barrel diameter: 14 mm (0.6”)

fpn_1464198858__mps_2161.jpg

It is a small sized pen with nice dimensions, weight and balance when posted. The nib is disproportionately small effecting the overall beauty of an attractive pen.

3/5

Nib & Performance

The nib is marked “Mohi” Tipped fine.
fpn_1464199103__nib_2.jpg

It is a firm steel nib with a 5mm feed. The nib is wet but scratchy. Yet a quick grind and smoothing on #12000 micro mesh resulted in a buttery smooth performance. The pen is now a smooth, wet writer, much to my liking.

3/5

Filling system

The pen is an eye dropper filler and holds about 3 ml of ink due to small size of barrel. The section threads are long and the pen did not leak. Eye dropper fillers are not my choice of filling systems because as the level of ink falls, they tend to burp, Tanishq being no exception. There is also an inconstant ink flow. The full pen was nice and wet but kind of dried up little as the ink level fell below half. It did not end here, as the level headed towards 1/3 the nib became wetter and then burped.

3/5

Value for Money

The pen is priced at INRs 300/- plus postage (US$ 4.5 approximately plus postage). The pen looks beautiful and after smoothening, writes very well. At this price, despite its draw backs, it is a must buy pen for the facts that it is hand turned and made out of beautiful acrylic resin.

5/5

End Note

No Indian fountain pen collection would be complete with out this pen as there are very few hand made fountain pen available. Most of the manufacturers have closed shop due to “ball pen” onslaught. Some brave hearts Like Abhey Pens are still turning out these beauties and must be helped along in their venture.

Total Score: 18/25

fpn_1464105221__meteore.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mitinder

• Leeuwenhoek

• Prithwijit

• drmukherjee

its great value for money pen.i first bought a cracked ice with pink swirl model, and after being convinced by the good performance i ordered 3 more. the one shown in the review, an yellow and orange.

i had slight flow problems with orange but it seems like i fixed it after giving it a wash by removing the nib and feed.

the pen is also comfortable to hold and looks beautiful

and finally the seller Ananth Pathak is a pleasure to deal with. extremely quick response and speedy shipping with nice packaging.

i definitely plan to order some more models from him.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

I have this pen it writes nice for value .. On the side note Abhay pens are CNC turned pens .. They are not handmade pens.. But after machined every body part of pen ,Srew, cap,barrel section are taken much effort to finish glossy ,all work done manually. (By hand).

Edited by drmukherjee

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

I have this pen it writes nice for value .. On the side note Abhay pens are CNC turned pens .. They are not handmade pens.. But after machined every body part of pen ,Srew, cap,barrel section are taken much effort to finish glossy ,all work done manually. (By hand).

Dr. Mukherjee is absolutely right..all the Mohi acrylics are cnc turned pens, ..anyway, a nice review indeed..

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

its great value for money pen.i first bought a cracked ice with pink swirl model, and after being convinced by the good performance i ordered 3 more. the one shown in the review, an yellow and orange.

i had slight flow problems with orange but it seems like i fixed it after giving it a wash by removing the nib and feed.

the pen is also comfortable to hold and looks beautiful

and finally the seller Ananth Pathak is a pleasure to deal with. extremely quick response and speedy shipping with nice packaging.

i definitely plan to order some more models from him.

I agree and if some thing could be done about the nib...

I ment that...and polishing and fitting is a lot of hard work...yet you cannot deny that they are good looking pens!

Dear Sekhon Saab,

Thanks for sharing the review. The pen is beautiful and glad you could ake the nib work to your satisfaction.

Dr Mukherjee and Sagar, Mohi seems much to small an enterprise to have a full CNC setup to turn a handful of pens a year. Are you sure these are CNC? I suspect they are procuring these units from someone else who is also the OEM for a host of other brands.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Dear Sekhon Saab,

Thanks for sharing the review. The pen is beautiful and glad you could ake the nib work to your satisfaction.

Dr Mukherjee and Sagar, Mohi seems much to small an enterprise to have a full CNC setup to turn a handful of pens a year. Are you sure these are CNC? I suspect they are procuring these units from someone else who is also the OEM for a host of other brands.

Regards,

Prithwijit

The owner of mohi pens -Abhay pen companies Anath Pathak himself told me that their pens are CNC machine turned ,well if he lied then I can't help chaki da

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

The owner of mohi pens -Abhay pen companies Anath Pathak himself told me that their pens are CNC machine turned ,well if he lied then I can't help chaki da

Hi Doc,

I certainly cant accuse anyone of lying. Unless Abhay has a separate CNC related business, I suspect they are getting these pens made form someone else then.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Thanks for the review. Wish they were willing to ship abroad.

if you want one i can send it across.

let us not get into the nitty-gritty...it is a pretty looking pen and more time is spent fitting and polishing by hand, so let us keep it at that.

if you want one i can send it across.

Thanks for the kind offer. I will pm you.

Pretty pen! ED pens and I don't get along at ALL--apparently my hands are too warm, and they always "burp" or leak or whatever at the nib. So my cure is to purchase Indian pens with cartridge converters. Not as handsome, and of course the CCs don't hold nearly as much ink as EDs, but I get a lot less frustrated with my pens when they don't leak on me (or the paper :-) ). So, long question short--is this pen available as a CC?

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Pretty pen! ED pens and I don't get along at ALL--apparently my hands are too warm, and they always "burp" or leak or whatever at the nib. So my cure is to purchase Indian pens with cartridge converters. Not as handsome, and of course the CCs don't hold nearly as much ink as EDs, but I get a lot less frustrated with my pens when they don't leak on me (or the paper :-) ). So, long question short--is this pen available as a CC?

Hi Irisheyes, I've seen you've posted the same thing before and I thought maybe you could try retrospectively fitting a converter or aerometric filling unit to eyedropper pens. Ranga pens for instance have a design that is amenable to this. Mitinder Sekhon posted an example where he had done this here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/309076-ranga-bamboo-fountain-pen-modified/

Of course eyedroppers which have feeds that protrude from the section will be more difficult.

• 7 months later...

Mohi pens are hand made by Abhey Pen Agencies, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India. They make ebonite and acrylic pens but use nibs from some other manufacturer whose name was not divulged to me. I bought one Mohi Acrylic Tanishq in cracked ice colour.

This is such a beautiful pen! From where did you buy this? Is there an online portal where I could find them?