Tale Of A Pelikan M600 (Old Style)

Matlock

Back in 1990 I purchased a M600 old style in Bordeaux Red with fine nib. This was my pen for work. For many years it served me well until one day I left it on my desk and left the room. When I got back I noticed that things had been moved but thought nothing of it. Later, when I used my pen, I found that it dried almost immediately and needed inverting to get it going. When I got it home I found that the nib had "sprung" with quite a gap between the feed and the nib. (Lesson number one, never leave your pen for someone else to damage). I tried all the recommended methods to cure the problem but, in the end, I bought a new nib. The pen was fine but not as it was when I first got it. Recently (some 12 years later) I came across the old nib and decided to have one more go. I clamped the nib to the feed with a plastic clothes peg, placed it in a heatproof dish and pored on boiling water. After it cooled I tried it and found I had my old nib back. The only problem is the clothes peg is ruined :)

.​

Peter

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• Doug1426

• Lam1

• carlos.q

+1 on congratulations for a creative and effective solution. I know it's too late now, after the fact and all, but...you know, you could have avoided the loss of the clothes peg if you had held the nib and feed between your thumb and forefinger, rather than damage a precious clothes peg. But, to each his own. Personally, I might have been inclined to pour the water on the offending party who assaulted your nib. Twelve years is about the right amount of time to begin your search for the offender. Then again, getting on with one's life does have some merit. Glad your 600 is back on the range.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

+1 on congratulations for a creative and effective solution. I know it's too late now, after the fact and all, but...you know, you could have avoided the loss of the clothes peg if you had held the nib and feed between your thumb and forefinger, rather than damage a precious clothes peg. But, to each his own. Personally, I might have been inclined to pour the water on the offending party who assaulted your nib. Twelve years is about the right amount of time to begin your search for the offender. Then again, getting on with one's life does have some merit. Glad your 600 is back on the range.

Thanks for your congratulations. I did try the thumb and forefinger idea but felt it a bit risky with boiling water. I am presently saving up for the replacement clothes peg :). I have a good idea as to the identity of the offender but life's too short, I will just have to bite the bullet and buy the clothes peg.

Peter

The clothes peg died an honourable death.

Glad you have your pen back. And as for the offender, revenge is a dish best served cold. Anonymous glitter bomb, perhaps?

The clothes peg died an honourable death.

Glad you have your pen back. And as for the offender, revenge is a dish best served cold. Anonymous glitter bomb, perhaps?

Oohh, I had all but forgotten the old glitter bomb. An excellent thought. It's the "gift" that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. Two years later, we are still finding the remnants from our granddaughter's glitter card. So, perhaps a simple card that just says "I forgive you" loaded up with ye old glitter inside....

Seriously, though, I am very glad you have your old nib back. Nothing like getting back an old friend like that.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Oohh, I had all but forgotten the old glitter bomb. An excellent thought. It's the "gift" that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. Two years later, we are still finding the remnants from our granddaughter's glitter card. So, perhaps a simple card that just says "I forgive you" loaded up with ye old glitter inside....

Seriously, though, I am very glad you have your old nib back. Nothing like getting back an old friend like that.

Thank you. Yes I am still thinking about the glitter bomb :). Seriously though it really is a pleasure to have the pen writing as it should. The replacement nib was OK but it lacked the feel of the original. A lot has been written about earlier Pelikan nibs and I can only agree that they have that certain something.​

Peter

That is, indeed, a very creative solution! Congratulations!

And those Bordeaux/Red M600 are gorgeous and very hard to get. Glad to hear that you got it to write the way you like again.

That is, indeed, a very creative solution! Congratulations!

And those Bordeaux/Red M600 are gorgeous and very hard to get. Glad to hear that you got it to write the way you like again.

Yes lovely pen. The funny thing is that the shop I bought it from listed it as a M400 (not a main Pelikan dealer). I am retired now but it saw a lot of use at work and it's great to have it in daily use again.

Peter

Peter, congratulations on restoring your beloved nib and condolences on the sad demise of your clothes peg.

Khan M. Ilyas

Peter, congratulations on restoring your beloved nib and condolences on the sad demise of your clothes peg.

Thanks Khan.

Peter

Yes lovely pen. The funny thing is that the shop I bought it from listed it as a M400 (not a main Pelikan dealer). I am retired now but it saw a lot of use at work and it's great to have it in daily use again.

I have heard a few cases of that happening. Sometimes one does get lucky, isn't it?

I have heard a few cases of that happening. Sometimes one does get lucky, isn't it?

Sadly doesn't happen that often :mellow: .​

Peter

Sadly doesn't happen that often :mellow: .​

I think that the old style M600 is one of the most misclassified Pelikan pens that I see for sale on the secondary market. That's my anecdotal experience anyway.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I think that the old style M600 is one of the most misclassified Pelikan pens that I see for sale on the secondary market. That's my anecdotal experience anyway.

I would agree.

Peter

Very creative solution! I need to reset a nib that I set too far into the collar - does anybody here know how to take the collar off the feed again so I can start over? I don't have a knock-out block ...

I think the clothes pin is perfect! I burned my hands and then didn't use water that was hot enough to do the trick (I watched Mike go through the process and was trying to imitate him.)

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang