Kanwrite Heritage Pen Review

Mitinder

Kanwrite Heritage Pen Review

I bought a Black Kanwrite Heritage Fountain Pen with chrome trim and stainless steel flex nib (SSF). It came in a beautiful black box with a faux suede lining. I also bought a fine stainless steel (F) nail nib as spare and am going to review both the nibs. The nail or normal nibs are also available in medium and broad points. Thus there is a choice of F, M, B and SSF (Stainless steel flex) and are manufactured in-house.

fpn_1464097187__unboxed.jpg

Design

Heritage is an injection moulded plastic pen with chrome trim. It is a medium sized pen. It has a blimp shape with straight cut ends. The cap has an inverted truncated cone with beveled edges as finial screwed on top of the tear drop clip. The taper of the cap and flair of inverted truncated cone sandwich the clip ring and give the pen a different look.

fpn_1464097102__cap_ring.jpg

The cap has a 7mm chrome cap ring with Kanwrite imprinted on it but the quality of print is neither good nor clear (-1 for that). The clip has a crisp Kanwrite inscribed on it.

The barrel has an end cap and there is a 2 mm chrome ring on the edge of end cap. The end cap covers the knob of twist piston filler giving it an added security against accidental twist and spill. It also emulates high end pens but is a useful feature which adds to the look of the pen.

fpn_1464097072__cap_finial_and_clip.jpg

The pen cap opens in 2 1/2 turns, which is a very welcome feature. The removal of cap reveals a straight stepped section and just above the threads is an ink window bordered by two 1 mm chrome rings adding a convenient feature to the pen. The stainless steel nib is #6 (35mm) which is in absolute proportion to the rest of the pen giving it a very balanced look. The SS is of very good quality and compliments the chrome in shine and looks. The section could have been longer as the fingers touch the lower threads and can be bothersome for prolonged periods of writing (-1).

3/5

Dimensions

Weight: 22 gms

Length: 140 mm (5.5”)

Length of uncapped pen: 129 mm (5”)

Posted length: 161 mm (6.3”)

Diameter of section: 12 mm (0.5”)

Barrel diameter: 21 mm (0.8”)

Ink window: 5 mm (0.2”)

It is a medium sized pen with very good dimensions, weight and balance when posted. The #6 nib is in absolute design harmony and matches the size of pen.

5/5

fpn_1464097116__capped.jpg

fpn_1464097172__profile.jpg

Nib & Performance

The original nib is a SSF (stainless steel flex) nib with an ebonite comb feed.

fpn_1464097157__flex_nib.jpg

The nib has a long slit with Kanwrite inscribed on it.The nib is a little hard to flex but gives a flex from fine (F) to broad ( B) which is good for a modern flex nib.

fpn_1464097202__writing_sample.jpg

It is a wet noodle flex nib and the feed is very well tuned to minimise rail-roading or dry writing. It can not be compared with vintage flex nibs in ease of use or flex but still for the price and performance it is value for money.

The nib and feed are fixed in a nib housing which can be unscrewed and replaced with another nib. The nib housing is threaded at the rear end and also has an “O” ring as added safety feature against accidental leakage. The F nail is supplied in another housing and comb feed. I unscrewed the SSF housing and screwed in the F nib.
fpn_1464097144__fine_nib_in_nib_housing.The fine nib is also stainless steel and has a comb feed. The nib is smooth and wet with a little feed back, which is desirable in a fine point. The nib is embellished with a floral design and Kanwrite inscription which adds to the looks of the pen.

The nibs are smooth and wet but the flex could be better (-1).

4/5

Filling system

The pen has a twist piston filler with an end cap as an additional safety feature. It holds 2 ml of ink which is good for many pages of writing with the fine point but SSF being a wet noodle uses more ink, thus limiting the capacity (-1).

fpn_1464097128__end_cap_and_twist_filler

Since nib housing can be easily unscrewed, cleaning and flushing becomes very easy and less time consuming. A few hours soak gets rid of all traces of ink from the nib and feed while the pen can be easily flushed once nib housing is removed. For the ease of cleaning, ink capacity and safety I like this pen.

4/5

Value for Money

The pen is priced at INRs 1500/- plus postage (US$ 23 approximately plus postage) and I find it slightly over priced (-0.5). The quality of plastic is such that it has a peculiar smell which is offensive and kind of takes some thing away from the pen (-0.5). Other than the price, it is one of the most reasonable options in flex nib.

4/5

End Note

It is a must have for any serious fountain pen user and collector for it offers an easy use of multiple types of nibs as well as offers one of the most reasonably priced flex nib options.

Total Score: 20/25

fpn_1464105221__meteore.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tanmay Awasthi

• Mitinder

• mssethi

• t2mr

Good review, this looks interesting!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Very nicely done review.

Yet another pen brand I have not heard of. I think I will give this pen a try.

Nice concise review. I believe Kanwrite have several models which have been suggested to be identical to the Noodler's Ahab etc. The cap finial looks a bit weird to me personally but I appreciate they are trying to do something different. If you are going to use the pen daily, please can you report to use how the piston holds up after extended use?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for such a detailed review of our product, we've duly noted the comments and will surely work on it and improve on the above mentioned points.

We're really happy to hear that the main idea of this product to give a good writing experience at an affordable price was on mark.

Lovely review.....

Edited by Penspoint

Thank you for a very detailed and objective review, and congratulations on what appears to be an excellent pen. It is certainly great looking. And while INR 1500 might not be a compelling price for this pen in India, it would be a rather astonishing bargain in the US.

By the way, am I correct in guessing that Kanwrite originally designed the deep-slit flexible nib that now also shows up in the Noodlers and Fountain Pen Revolution brands?

ron

Thank you for a very detailed and objective review, and congratulations on what appears to be an excellent pen. It is certainly great looking. And while INR 1500 might not be a compelling price for this pen in India, it would be a rather astonishing bargain in the US.

By the way, am I correct in guessing that Kanwrite originally designed the deep-slit flexible nib that now also shows up in the Noodlers and Fountain Pen Revolution brands?

ron

We thank you for your query and positive attitude in respect to our KANWRITE HERITAGE model and as for your query is concerned we can not say any thing in respect to other company models, though what we can say is that we make Fountain pen, Pen Nibs and Ebonite Feeders in-house and had been supplying to many big brands from last 26 years and now have launched our own brand KANWRITE so it would be great if you use our product and see for yourself our product's quality in respect to Flex nib and Flex ebonite feed (pl remember that there is no Flex plastic feed in the market as per our information). And most importantly experience the art( not scinece :) ) of fitting, matching and flow setting of Flex Fountain pen which we have developed and mastered to provide our customers with the ultimate satisfaction.

Also you can watch out for the latest development in Flex nib ie. Medium Flex nib which we are introducing very soon on Amazon developed us.

Regards,

Tanmay Awasthi

Instaed of sellin on Amazon, you should set up your own selling site. it is so much easier and the charges you have to pay Amazon can be passed on as rebate to the buyer.

ron

We thank you for your query and positive attitude in respect to our KANWRITE HERITAGE model and as for your query is concerned we can not say any thing in respect to other company models, though what we can say is that we make Fountain pen, Pen Nibs and Ebonite Feeders in-house and had been supplying to many big brands from last 26 years and now have launched our own brand KANWRITE so it would be great if you use our product and see for yourself our product's quality in respect to Flex nib and Flex ebonite feed (pl remember that there is no Flex plastic feed in the market as per our information). And most importantly experience the art( not scinece :) ) of fitting, matching and flow setting of Flex Fountain pen which we have developed and mastered to provide our customers with the ultimate satisfaction.

Also you can watch out for the latest development in Flex nib ie. Medium Flex nib which we are introducing very soon on Amazon developed us.

Regards,

Tanmay Awasthi

Instaed of sellin on Amazon, you should set up your own selling site. it is so much easier and the charges you have to pay Amazon can be passed on as rebate to the buyer.

You're right sir we're working towards it, but initially amazon does gives us the market base which is difficult to reach by our own means. Though we do have a plan and working towards it to be able to directly entertain our customers.

One thing that we have in mind is to give some group offer, that could be a start towards direct dealing. Do you've any knowledge how it works on fpn? Dp i need certain level of access to do that?

(Sorry for bothering you with so many questions)

Please let us know when medium flex nib becomes available. Have been waiting to place an order once that becomes available

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

You're right sir we're working towards it, but initially amazon does gives us the market base which is difficult to reach by our own means. Though we do have a plan and working towards it to be able to directly entertain our customers.

One thing that we have in mind is to give some group offer, that could be a start towards direct dealing. Do you've any knowledge how it works on fpn? Dp i need certain level of access to do that?

(Sorry for bothering you with so many questions)

You are welcome to ask questions...let me see what i can do with a group buy