Parker Sonnet Degradation

Gr8lakeson

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced what I have with the Gillette-era Sonnet series? I have multiple pens which have had small to large sized chunks of enamel just drop off. It looks hideous. Is there someone I can send them to? One of them was a very special gift. Thanks for any insight.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• rowdy

• FrankB

Top Posters In This Topic

I have experienced the same with Parker Urbans purchased within the lasr three years.

These are laquer finished pens. User force in the Waterman forum has repainted Waterman Carenes, a laquer finish pen, with enamel paint after removing remnants of the original finish.

I have a Caran d'Ache pen with flaking laquer. Now I will have concerns about my Sonnets.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

None of my 90s Sonnets have shown any such tendency. One of my Sonnets from 2000s, however, has very very small spots where I can see the enamel has gone. But I can see it is because of the pen having been forcefully rubbed with some rough surfaced metal object.

Khan M. Ilyas

Almost all mine and my father's lacquer on metal (usually brass) finished pens have had the chipping at some point. Usually small, single dots, but on cheaper pens, more severe. It really depends on the underlying materials, whether there was a primer applied before the lacquer, what kind of lacquer used, and how many layers, and of course HOW the lacquer was applied. Also important to note, I have experienced similar, perhaps more significant chipping for paint/lacquer on plastic finishes.

This is why I stick with anodized or raw metals, in both shiny, matte and patterned finishes, sterling silver, gold filled, though that has its own troubles, and similar for pens with metal barrels and/or caps. Otherwise, it is the various plastics or "resins" for the barrel and cap that I gravitate towards.

I do not currently own hard rubber or wood barrel/cap pens, but I have tried some seriously impressive ones with nice Urushi or other types of paint that seems pretty resilient and pretty.

Have to confess this is exactly why I try to avoid lacquered pens. I had a Black P25 in the early 1980's, and now it looks in a terrible state with the finish chipped off everywhere. I now try for through coloured pens - like the Duofold - where the surface can wear dramatically & still have the same results.

As for a solution. I suspect there is none other than trying to find if the manufacturer has replacement parts, and if it's out of guarantee, you'll have to pay full price for them.

Regards,

Richard

None of my 90s Sonnets have shown any such tendency. One of my Sonnets from 2000s, however, has very very small spots where I can see the enamel has gone. But I can see it is because of the pen having been forcefully rubbed with some rough surfaced metal object.

I don't have any issues with the lacquer on my 1990s Sonnets either. I will say that I try to treat all of my pens with care, because I don't like blemishes whether the pens are through colored or not. One of my pens, a Terracotta, has a dent in the tip of the barrel, and there is no lacquer loss and no color loss.

fpn_1379185610__tcdent3.jpg

fpn_1379185557__tcdent1.jpg

fpn_1379185528__tcpen.jpg

Force from the Waterman forum took the opportunity to paint some Carenes in unusual colors if the finish were compromised. He claimed he used enamel paint. His repaints were lovely.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I don't have any issues with the lacquer on my 1990s Sonnets either. I will say that I try to treat all of my pens with care, because I don't like blemishes whether the pens are through colored or not. One of my pens, a Terracotta, has a dent in the tip of the barrel, and there is no lacquer loss and no color loss.

fpn_1379185610__tcdent3.jpg

fpn_1379185557__tcdent1.jpg

fpn_1379185528__tcpen.jpg

Force from the Waterman forum took the opportunity to paint some Carenes in unusual colors if the finish were compromised. He claimed he used enamel paint. His repaints were lovely.

Yes. Pajaro. I have read that post/ thread started by Force wherein he has shown how he repainted the Carenes. It looked to be a lovely job accomplished by Force.

Khan M. Ilyas

I only have the Flighter versions in stainless steel and gold trim. These are the latest generation (the one that came out after the thick cap ring) and I find the gold trim is flaking off the trim ring on the section near the nib.

Though I think generally you have to be careful with laquer pens and tend to avoid them. I have a Sheaffer 300 - 5 years old (black and chrome) and is just now starting to chip and I have a Parker IM that is about same vintage in black laquer and is just fine.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Rowdy

I have twenty-five Sonnets. The only cosmetic issue is with the dented Terracotta. No lacquer flaking, nothing except nibs that bend too easily. Functional writing issues, but no cosmetic ones. I treat pens with reasonable care, but I don't baby them.

The Sonnets might be crummy writers, but they make beautiful display pieces. Perhaps they are best left for display only.

No doubt Sonnets have considerable design and cosmetic value. For many, like myself, their functional performance, however, is more or less questionable.

Khan M. Ilyas

No doubt Sonnets have considerable design and cosmetic value. For many, like myself, their functional performance, however, is more or less questionable.

Wow! :huh: Once again multiple Sonnet users who are disappointed in the pen's performance. I must have had incredible good luck with mine. I bought several Sonnets over the years because I liked their performance. I have enough, so I have not bought any in quite a long time, thus I cannot comment on the quality of recent or current production examples.

The cosmetics on my pens are all just fine. But, like the OP, I really do not know what I would do if the finishes did start to degrade.

You could strip the finish and repaint with enamel, if the finish degrades. All of my Sonnet fountain pens perform more or less the same. They are mediocre, because they tend to dry out sooner than expected, and the nibs are flimsy. Even taking great care the nibs can bend. You can straighten the nib, but it shows a crease. A real nib technician could fix it, but it would be less costly to buy a new nib from Dutchpen. I suppose these are kind of like 51s in one respect, namely that each pen has yeasayers and naysayers. I think most of the 51 naysayers either can't use a hooded nib or they have pens that were previously abused or that they abused themselves. With the Sonnet there are issues with the cap from the manufacturer. Some are perfect, and some are hosed. I can hardly wait for the responses.

Edited by pajaro

You could strip the finish and repaint with enamel, if the finish degrades. All of my Sonnet fountain pens perform more or less the same. They are mediocre, because they tend to dry out sooner than expected, and the nibs are flimsy. Even taking great care the nibs can bend. You can straighten the nib, but it shows a crease. A real nib technician could fix it, but it would be less costly to buy a new nib from Dutchpen. I suppose these are kind of like 51s in one respect, namely that each pen has yeasayers and naysayers. I think most of the 51 naysayers either can't use a hooded nib or they have pens that were previously abused or that they abused themselves. With the Sonnet there are issues with the cap from the manufacturer. Some are perfect, and some are hosed. I can hardly wait for the responses.

One of my Sonnet came with nib like this:

I straightened it very carefully and it turned out like this:

It is to be noted that the before picture is the one provided by the seller at the time of purchase. I couldn't take picture of the nib before straightening it.

Khan M. Ilyas