• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• Fabienne

• lgsoltek

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Claudia. I have to be honest, that Chivor de Emeraude is going to take a lot of beating! That said, it's good... but it's not quite Carling!

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Looks like my cup of carob. However, I am afraid that I do not understand what you said above. My native tongue is English*. Are you saying you liked it less than Emerald of Chiver, or you liked Carob more than Emerald of Chiver?

*That's meant in jest. To us, Carling is a beer from a bygone era, behold on Wikipedia [see below]...BUT there was the indelible "Hey, Mabel, Black Label!" which came out of it all.

After the repeal of prohibition in 1933, the Peerless Motor Car Company, looking for a way to diversify in the poor car market of the depression, purchased the American rights to Carling's formulas, identifying labels, and trademarks. Technicians and brewmasters were sent from Canada to convert a Peerless plant in Cleveland, Ohio into the Brewing Corporation of America. They first tried just brewing Carling's Red Cap Ale, but sales were too slow to maintain the brewery, and sales didn't climb until the introduction of Black Label lager. The philosophy behind Black Label was to have a high quality lager that was available nationwide but with a locally brewed budget price. The strategy worked, and the next several decades led to rapid growth and expansion for the brewery and the Carling Black Label brand.[2]

When Carling stopped producing Black Label to focus on a more profitable lager, they found their sales plummeting. Carling re-introduced Black Label with a beautiful blonde named Mabel, portrayed by Jeanne Goodspeed, with the slogan "Hey Mabel, Black Label!". The twenty-year marketing campaign cemented the name in the popular culture of America.

In 1979, after several years of intense pressure from the larger American Brewers Miller and Anheuser-Busch, Carling-National was bought out by the Heileman Brewing Co. of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Carling and the Black Label brand are currently owned by the Molson Coors Brewing Company. Though no longer widely distributed in the U.S., Black Label remains the official beer of Beer Frisbee.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Looks like my cup of carob. However, I am afraid that I do not understand what you said above. My native tongue is English*. Are you saying you liked it less than Emerald of Chiver, or you liked Carob more than Emerald of Chiver?

*That's meant in jest. To us, Carling is a beer from a bygone era, behold on Wikipedia [see below]...BUT there was the indelible "Hey, Mabel, Black Label!" which came out of it all.

No worries. Yes! In my opinion, the Caroube is not as dynamic as the Emerald, but hey, it's still a good ink and my Carling gag was reference to a recent UK Carling beer commercial which was fairly amusing.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Ohhh myyyy.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

It means Carob of Cyprus (the island). Carob is a substitute for chocolate, some people like it better than chocolate. It comes in long brown pods. Cyprus was a great source for carob and since Herbin was a sailor and had gone to Cyprus the name is a natural.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Is that pure gibberish or are there some words hidden? Either way it's stunning!

These are freeform abstract alphabets A-Z top down. I create these with an automatic pen with no preconceived idea of what I'm going to do.

Okay, NickiStew, you've sold me. My husband will not be pleased.

As for the Carling joke, I must say that when I was in college Kronenbourg had a beer tasting seminar one time. Started with a light Czech pilsner, and worked their way down to Guinness and Carling Special Dark (the Kronenburg was about the middle).

Foolishly, they included dark beers, and I was hooked. The Kronenbourg? It was okay, especially since they also gave everyone a free one. But they lost big-time to the Guinness (and so did the Carling, IIRC) as far as I was concerned.... ;)

As for advertising, I was in London and southern England for a week or so in the early 1970s, and the best ads on TV were definitely the Guinness ads.... :rolleyes: The one I remember most was the two foreigners in a typical English pub trying to order without having a lick of the language between the two of them (to the amusement and frustration of the barmaid). Then some old gaffer came in and ordered "the usual" and was of course served a pint of Guinness.... And the light dawned (sort of) to the two foreigners... (you can probably guess the rest :lol:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Okay, NickiStew, you've sold me. My husband will not be pleased.

As for the Carling joke, I must say that when I was in college Kronenbourg had a beer tasting seminar one time. Started with a light Czech pilsner, and worked their way down to Guinness and Carling Special Dark (the Kronenburg was about the middle).

Foolishly, they included dark beers, and I was hooked. The Kronenbourg? It was okay, especially since they also gave everyone a free one. But they lost big-time to the Guinness (and so did the Carling, IIRC) as far as I was concerned.... ;)

As for advertising, I was in London and southern England for a week or so in the early 1970s, and the best ads on TV were definitely the Guinness ads.... :rolleyes: The one I remember most was the two foreigners in a typical English pub trying to order without having a lick of the language between the two of them (to the amusement and frustration of the barmaid). Then some old gaffer came in and ordered "the usual" and was of course served a pint of Guinness.... And the light dawned (sort of) to the two foreigners... (you can probably guess the rest :lol:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth - I am in no way promoting Carling! I'm a modest wine drinker at best. N

• 6 years later...
On 5/24/2016 at 12:24 PM, Fabienne said:

It means Carob of Cyprus (the island). Carob is a substitute for chocolate, some people like it better than chocolate. It comes in long brown pods. Cyprus was a great source for carob and since Herbin was a sailor and had gone to Cyprus the name is a natural.

Living on the island and being a Cypriot myself, I must say, well said! We still use it a lot here. Carob trees grow everywhere in the wild, and their syrup is used as a sweetener in many products. Also called "horns" or κέρατα (kerata).

Also, the carat (or karat), comes from the weight of the carob seed:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-carat-vs-karat

18 hours ago, The Cypriot said:

Living on the island and being a Cypriot myself, I must say, well said! We still use it a lot here. Carob trees grow everywhere in the wild, and their syrup is used as a sweetener in many products. Also called "horns" or κέρατα (kerata).

Also, the carat (or karat), comes from the weight of the carob seed:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-carat-vs-karat

Oh, wow, that is cool!

penocean.jpg.7f8ed48b0141ee6a4111627c1b4d7c8b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY