Faber-Castell Loom Or Ambition?

AndyYNWA

My next pen will most likely be a Faber-Castell with a fine nib. However, I can't decide whether to go with a Loom or an Ambition.

I like the design of the Ambition better, but it's €55 is 26€ more than the Loom. I have just renovated my kitchen, so my pockets are not exactly overflowing with money.

Are the nibs and feeds identical on these two pens? If that's the case, my choice will be slightly easier.

Thanks in advance!

/Andy

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Tas

• Gudi

• Old_Inkyhand

Pick both up . . . you'll know then :)

It's the finances that stops me... :unsure:

YNWA - JFT97

Apologies. :unsure: I meant hold both in your hand, then you'll know . . .

If you can't then spend a few hours here having fun looking at reviews of both - although I'm sure you've probably already done that.

I have a Basic and an Ondoro and am delighted with both :wub:

Apologies. :unsure: I meant hold both in your hand, then you'll know . . .

If you can't then spend a few hours here having fun looking at reviews of both - although I'm sure you've probably already done that.

I have a Basic and an Ondoro and am delighted with both :wub:

Haha! I misunderstood... :D

Unfortunately I don't have any brick and mortar close by.

I have browsed through the reviews... :mellow:

I know the nibs are they same, but do you know if they have the same feeds?

YNWA - JFT97

:unsure: . . . erm, don't know.

My two look identical. I'd be surprised if the Loom's and the Ambition's weren't.

(Those Ambitions look really lovely . . . :rolleyes: )

(Those Ambitions look really lovely . . . :rolleyes: )

Yes, they do.... :P

YNWA - JFT97

If I'd buy another Faber-Castell design FP, it'd be another Emotion.

My advice: If money is a constraint, definitely the Loom. My wife has one and it's an excellent pen. I think the mate body scratches easily, so I gifted her the polished one and I don't regret it. Now, if you're going to spend the money, I believe you should check the Emotion before buying. At least where I live its price is very close to the Ambition and IMO it's a better pen design and ergonomic wise (unless you post it). Nice weigh, the metal grip for some reason is not slippery and the pen diameter makes it very comfortable to hold. I can write with my for a long time without any complains. I had the opportunity to try them all before buying, but I also read/watched some reviews and there are some nice ones online.

Thanks for the input Gudi.

Where I live the price for the e-motion is almost double the price of the Ambition. Also, the aesthetics of the e-motion does not appeal to me at all.

YNWA - JFT97

Ambition... but all FC pens are pretty good for that money..

... I believe in purple ink

If I'm not wrong ambition and loom share the same nib and feed?

If that is the case it's just a matter of looks, as both are excellent writers

The basic, loom, ambition, emotion and ondoro all share the same nib, so the design and weight are the only differences.

Loom and Ambition have the same, interchangeable, nib unit. I had a pearwood Ambition in Fine, but I wanted a Medium nib; I got a Loom for about the same price as a new nib unit by itself, swapped the nibs, and now I have a Medium Ambition and a Fine Loom, both lovely nibs.

The Ambition is the better pen, but as the Loom has the same nib at around half the price, it's the better value pen, and it's well made. Mine is the Matt silver barrel/orange cap, and hasn't shown any scratches yet (it doesn't get special treatment, it sits in the kitchen for shopping lists etc).

Owen

Which looks more classy?

Black?

or

Matte Sand?

I like the black, but black is also a bit boring. Or? :unsure:

The matte sand is the only other finish I can fit into my budget, otherwise there would have been more options.

YNWA - JFT97

I like colourful pens, but in this case I would choose black. The pen oozes with clean, minimalistic design, and the black barrel makes me feel that the overall idea of simplicity has been cogently executed. I also think that black goes well with chrome, better than beige in this case.

But we all have different tastes - better see both of them and you'll know which one you would be easier to leave! :)

I like colourful pens, but in this case I would choose black. The pen oozes with clean, minimalistic design, and the black barrel makes me feel that the overall idea of simplicity has been cogently executed. I also think that black goes well with chrome, better than beige in this case.

But we all have different tastes - better see both of them and you'll know which one you would be easier to leave! :)

Thanks! A lean towards the black...

YNWA - JFT97

Just ordered a Black Ambition with a fine nib from La Couronne du Comte.

YNWA - JFT97

I hope you will be satisfied :) I have the Pearwood version and I am very glad with it! Just give it some time, it really gets better with time.

• 5 years later...

I'm a fan of the Loom but find it difficult to hold for long periods. The ambition is basically the same length unposted. I'm ready to hold this pen at the barrel and not the small section. Is it easier to hold for longer than the Loom?

The price is not bad. The alternative would be Ondoro.

E-motion is not an option for me; I had one and sold it because too short.