Ink Shoot-Out : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz Vs Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

namrehsnoom

At first: thanks to namrehsnoom for this highly entertaining ink comparison!

And thanks for resurrecting this thread - this made my day!

While most P.Edelstein inks are rather dry (high surface tension), Topaz is among the three of the wetter gemstones and not far from the Iroshizuku. So it would surprise me if the inks behave remarkably different (besides colour differences). Topaz is my best ink for my Aurora Optima (M nib) - by far the best shading and best overall appearance. The same Topaz is not great in my Waterman Perspective (M nib), which surprised me a bit.

As I'm strongly in the turquoise/sky/aqua/azure/... blue inks, I enjoyed this thread a lot!

Thank you!

One life!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Misfit

• pepsiplease69

• visvamitra

• 3 months later...

One other factor, the Iroshizuku ink bottles are too tall for my machinists chest, where my inks are kept in the top section.  I can fit 3 of the Pilot bottles into the narrow tall drawer designed for the machinist's handbook, but that's it.  also my KonPeki bottle is the only one where I have ever broken a cap trying to open it, now stoppered with a wine bottle cork, and I have to use water pump pliers to take the cork out.  Edelstein inks may be thought dry by some, I have never noticed that, my bottles of garnet, amethyst and smokey quartz are among my favorites.  Diamine is my go-to value ink, and I avoid shimmery inks for fear of maintenance issues.  Some J. Herbin inks have caught my attention, and the Monteverde "Noir" inks have some attractive colors.

My $.02.

Ed

Re-reading this after a long time...........I never noticed sheen, much less red sheen in my Topaz ink. And I use good 90g or + paper.

Don't notice it in Parker Penman Sapphire either. I look every time I use one of the few cartridges some fine poster gave me.:( Down to my last one. Its to me, a very nice blue, but not a rave worth.

Could be that newer bottles of Topaz has been modified to sheen. Mine is from when it first came out.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 year later...

I found this review looking at images of Kon Peki. I wanted an azure blue, and have a sample of Kon Peki. When I put it in a TWSBI Diamond 580 RBT pen, the ink was a darker blue. I put it in a Jinhao 999 pen, and it looked lighter. Thus my search. Turns out the ink tends to look more like what is coming out of the Jinhao. 

I have a bottle of Edelstein Topaz, so I won’t be needing to buy Kon Peki since they are so close. I love turquoise inks, so I have Diamine turquoise, Waterman South Sea Blue, and others.  

Posted Image

Having run across this resurrected thread just now, I must say that I now have both Kon-peki and Topaz and like them both.  The same way I like both Yama-guri and Smokey Quartz -- in each case, it depends entirely on what pen(s) I'm using.  The Edelstein inks work better in Pelikan pens, while (at least in the case of Yama-guri) the Iroshizuku ink was way too wet in my first Pelikan (a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise) whereas Smoky Quartz was just enough drier that it was better behave in the same pen.  I suspect that Topaz would not work well in a Pilot pen (likely being too dry), whereas it works extremely well in the 3rd iteration M200 Café Crème; Kon-peki, I have no doubt, would do just fine in my Pilots. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you Ruth, in I now have 7 more pens inked than my 7 pen limit...I don't have to ink any others.

I do have both inks and hadn't even thought of comparing either to each other. Mainly because Topas one of my favorite inks has been hidden away in a ink box (out of sight, out of mind), and not out like my Kon-Piki.

If I do, I have to find a dry pen for the Kon-Peki, something I should keep in mind.

I'm not sure I did that before for Kon Peki.

I do have a gray plastic index card box to tell me what ink was in what pen.... I don't have a spread sheet working the other way.........in I seldom keep my box really uup to date...I'd not keep track of what pens were used by what inks.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

13 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Having run across this resurrected thread just now, I must say that I now have both Kon-peki and Topaz and like them both.  The same way I like both Yama-guri and Smokey Quartz -- in each case, it depends entirely on what pen(s) I'm using.  The Edelstein inks work better in Pelikan pens, while (at least in the case of Yama-guri) the Iroshizuku ink was way too wet in my first Pelikan (a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise) whereas Smoky Quartz was just enough drier that it was better behave in the same pen.  I suspect that Topaz would not work well in a Pilot pen (likely being too dry), whereas it works extremely well in the 3rd iteration M200 Café Crème; Kon-peki, I have no doubt, would do just fine in my Pilots. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

That is the experience I've had with my Opus-88 Demo.
Though I love love love the colors and tones of them, the Pilot-Iroshizuku inks are far too wet for it.
While the J.Herbin and Pelikan-Edelstein inks are drier and work perfectly in it! 

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

It's too bad the heirs of Sandy1, didn't know what a world treasure her ink reviews were.

She would use 4-5 good to very good papers (some 8-10 over the couple decades), and 4-5 different width regular flex (Pelikan 200 or Japanese 'soft' or nail nibs....and mostly it was astounding it was the same ink. She didn't use semi-flex much less superflex.

When she was still alive, hers was the first review I looked at no matter what ink, in she was our Ink Guru.

With her death, her pictures vanished.:crybaby: cubed.

@Bo Bo Olson well said about Sandy1. Her reviews were so good. Why do people use outside ways to post photos? Was there a limit back then?  Or did she and others reach the actual limit? I only post photos using the ways FPN lets me. 

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Bo Bo Olson well said about Sandy1. Her reviews were so good. Why do people use outside ways to post photos? Was there a limit back then?  Or did she and others reach the actual limit? I only post photos using the ways FPN lets me. 

Back then, most of the photo hosting sites were free, competing which each other to host people's pictures.

After getting 10/15 years worth of pictures for a great number of customers and when laptops stopped including a CD drive, the main photo hosting platforms started to charge.

When mobile phone pictures started to outnumber pictures taken with a camera, all of the photo hosting platform threatened to lock pictures out, if a fee for their hosting service was not paid.

Her heirs might not even be aware of the site she kept her ink revues pictures in.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

@Anne-Sophie Thank you for explaining that. I truly appreciate it as I knew nothing about that. I’ve only used Flickr to share photos.  But here, I always used the FPN photo sharing. 

Posted Image

I stopped using Ransombucket, and went to Imgur.

On 2/8/2024 at 7:24 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

With her death, her pictures vanished.

I have found that many of Sandy1’s pictures are actually still available - it’s just that nowadays the forum software here will only load/display images that are on ‘secure’ websites - i.e. ones whose links start with ‘https://‘.
The forum software won’t display images whose links start with the (older, and un-secured) format ‘http://‘.

I have found that many of Sandy1’s photos can still be accessed if I select/highlight the whole of the link text, and then click on ‘Open link’.
Sometimes I have found that that doesn’t work, but that I can access the image if I copy the whole link; open a new tab in my browser; paste the link in to it; manually insert the ‘s’ between the ‘http’ and the ‘://‘, and then; hit ‘Return’ to load the link in my new tab.

That said, it is true that even this approach does not always work, and that some of her photos are now, sadly, no longer accessible.

Sic transit gloria mundi 😔

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Thank you very much, for your information.

It was always amazing how different the same ink can loo on different paper or nib width or both. .