Ink Shoot-Out : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz Vs Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki

namrehsnoom

Interesting! I wonder how Ama Iro would fare vs Topaz... It looked way too close to Kon Peki for comfort from Lamy Vistas in F and M... Had to move it to an xf pilot penmanship to see a difference.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Misfit

• pepsiplease69

• visvamitra

How cool is this review!!!

What I love about this review is that, while the reviewer prefers Topaz, the review is thorough enough for me to conclude that I'd prefer Kon-peki.

Great review. Topaz is one of my all time favourite inks. I have used it in numerous pens and never found it to be dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this wonderful review.

I enjoyed your illustrations.

What I love about this review is that, while the reviewer prefers Topaz, the review is thorough enough for me to conclude that I'd prefer Kon-peki.

Me too - In fact, today I ordered a bottle of Kon-peki (on EBay, directly from Japan), partially as a result of this review.

• 2 weeks later...

How cool is this review!!!

+1

This cool review made me smile big...almost laugh! I found it today while intentionally searching Topaz reviews. I have Kon Peki - they are certainly different inks, and like you, a huge nod from me goes to Topaz. What a glorious, clear blue.

On the chromatography, is it my monitor - or does anyone else see a tint of green in the Kon Peki? That was surprising to see - I'm going to repeat it to determine whether it's a color that I see or my iPad screen :P

Thank you for a fun review!

• 1 month later...

I love your images and humor. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Awesome comparison. Although, I have to say after reading up to the conclusion, Kon-peki seemed the obvious winner. Oh well, Sailor Souten would trounce them both anyway ; )

Enablers, all of you! I am now awaiting (1) Edelstein Topaz, (2) Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, and (3) Sailor Yama-dori.

I don't know why I think I need all of them, but I do.

I own Topaz and like the colour, but I don't use it any more after it stained an ink window.

Is Kon-peki kind to pens and easy to clean out?

Edited by da vinci

• 5 weeks later...

Confession: I tried out Edelstein Topaz a few days back, and man the ink is gorgeous.

I take back all that I said about Topaz without ever trying it out in person.

It's got a brilliant red sheen and reminded me a bit of Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise.

I loaded it up in a super juicy Ahab with a Knox 1.9 nib and a Noodler's refillable Ink Cartridge.

I had to heat set the feed of the Ahab to conform to the Knox nib, but the thing writes gorgeously now.

I got a sample of Topaz from 2015 Pelikan Hub and it might be looking like I would have to plunk down some dollars to get a full bottle of the stuff.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I beg a pardon for resurrecting this amazing thread iniciated by a second to none review, but I would like to share a couple of thoughts :)

No doubt both inks are excellent. However... with all respect to Topaz, there are two reasons why I prefer Kon-peki way more:

1) unlike Topaz, which is destoyed by UV almost fully in a rather short period of time, Kon-peki even after many weeks exposed to the sunlight in a window stays almost unaffected.

2) Kon-peki - when used on a cheap uncoated paper (unlike Rhodia, Oxford etc.) - is almost waterproof, while bleeding is minimal.

Indeed this medium azure is not a typical business colour, but if acceptable, Kon-peki is quite suitable since it is a kind of a document-proof ink: lightfast and also very water-resistant (if used on an uncoated paper).

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Thanks aurore. I concur. I have used both inks and both are attractive but Kon-peki is much more versatile.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• 3 months later...

Same here. Kon-Peki has more depth of color, and writes better in more pens for me than Edelstein Topaz. Kon-Peki is also considerably less expensive and has far more availability here in the US than Edelstein.

Edited by Aquaria

I admit that I lean toward iroshizuku inks in general but really enjoy these comparisons. The wet/dry difference between these two tips the scale firmly in favor of kon peki for me though. I love wet inks and pens so iroshizuku in a Pelikan m800 is my sweet spot

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the review. I have Topaz loaded in my Hunter Toledo B, it gave less shading than I remember. Could be the nib is too wet.

Being in the near, I dropped into my B&M to buy a pen that wasn't there....next week it will be.

This Convid stuff has pushed him to the limit, if he don't get a normal September flow....he will have to shut down. I don't want great bargains, I want a place to go to admire pens I can't afford and go ink fishing.:crybaby:

By the way, I asked about him getting misaligned nibs from the producers.....NOPE! That is a pure Online problem. I've said it's a mail problem, others with out a pen shop said no, it's factory QC....well I got the info from the Horse's Mouth.....it's a mailing problem.

This is Germany, and he was right proud to show off the iroshizuku ink line he was now carrying.

Having never researched Japanese inks, in they were all over my E-19 limit......I ended up buying Kon-peki, ....having no idea what color ....out side the blue on the package it was.

I hear these iroshizuku inks seem to be wet, I'll see if I can find a nice western F to ink.

Then do a my eyes scribble compassion.

vvvvvvvv

Sometime in either the very late '30'sor just after the War, Lamy bought up Artis, for it's plastic exclusion machines (what they press pens out of after they stopped lathing or madral wrapping pen bodies, ....and maybe Artis's tiny pen division.....don't remember for sure.

Lamy made only nail nibs. Artis made Lamy's regular flex nibs as it's second tier pen.

I have a regular flex Artis Iridium point 92, mounted in steel and loose in gold. FK, like on the Geha school pen meant the American Bump Under tipping instead of the stub tipping of semi-flex common in Germany in that era. Fine Kugal. Fine Ball.

The pen is an Artis Ballit FK, a torpedo shaped pen which is a medium- small as but a tad  thinner than a 140 or Geha 760. In size some medium-small Osmia's. Medium-small and torpedo shape was very popular in '50's Germany.

Could have used the tad thinner Pelikan 151....the 150 is German market (have one in blackand gold), the 151 (black cap, 120 green color with the later 200's piston cap ring) was Italian market.

But I'd not used that Ballit in over a decade and it had a thin looking F nib. In narrow nibs was recommended by the passed Sandy1.

I have a much darker blue ink ink impression of Kon-Peki; to me it looks no where near Topaz. It is a darker more 'regular blue'** on Clairefontaine Triumph or Oxford Optic 90g.  It Shades nicely; not great but nice. .

Kon-Peki shades better than my old bottle of Topaz...perhaps the Topaz ink has gotten old or the Toledo B nib is too wet.

I'll have to try the Pilot ink in western M and B, sooner or later....in I'm now one pen over my 7 pens inked limit.:unsure:  :wallbash:

In, in the recent past I often had 17 pens inked; in I want to use up some inks, I can't go down that slippery path again, and again.

***I have been away from blue for quite a while.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice review and great write-up!! 😆
I would have to go with "P.E. - Topaz" as well.
Kon Peki is great for extra dry pens, but now that I only use a flex...my bottle of Kon Peki sits unused.
It's just way too wet for anything I do nowadays.
It's so lovely...I cannot bring myself to give it away though.
For blue I plan to stick to "Milky Ocean" soon (once I find a vendor selling it), but if not I'll buy "P.E. - Topaz" .

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Superflex???

Or semi-flex?? (German pens of the '50-70 era.)

Or regular flex? (What the Japanese call 'soft'.) What use to be normal regular issue on many fountain pens.....back in the day of B&W TV..... and that Artis Ballit or a 120.

Pelikan had that as normal issue from '82-97 and still do with only the 200.

So I'll not dig out my Rupp maxi-semi-flex then. I'd thought of that in some said, it worked great with semi-flex.........but I'll have to read up on that again.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.