The Perfect Notebook

Bklyn

Hi all:

My job is often filled with details I can't remember so I want to get a notebook I can write things down in and hopefully, remember them.

I have read good things about the Leuchtturm 1917 in the that is about 5 x 8.

I saw them in a store tonight but they are in plastic so I was unable to feel the paper.

Any thoughts on this brand of notebook? I tend to write with broad nibs and use Noodlers ink. I do not mind a touch of bleed through but I am hoping it is held to a minimum. Any opinions on this for a notebook to use to jot down ideas and things to get done?

If you do not like this one, I would love to hear what you do like in a similar size. Only other things I want in this grail notebook is that it folds flat when I write and it is a soft cover type.

Also, as aside, it seem a bit strange to me to write on both sides of the paper. Do most people use both sides?

Any help really appreciated.

Best to all!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• da vinci

• PaganArcher

• Studio97

For work use a cheap notebook you can destroy. $6.00 or under. If the paper has bleed through use one side of the page. I would use the more expensive notebooks for personal use.

I understand Leuchturm can be a bit hit or miss. I suggest Rhodia or Clairefontaine as better options.

5 Leuchtturm1917 notebooks and they're all fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Some bleeding with wet inks in a broad or 1.1, but nothing excessive.

Some alternatives I like are the Maruman Mnemosyne notebooks, and my favorite A5 is the Nanami Seven Seas Writer, but they can be hard to pin down sometimes.

I say get a Leuchtturm and get to writing.

Another option depending on your needs is a small notebook 3.5"x5.5. You can sometimes find at Walmart, other stores and if you want another 'hobby' look at FieldNotes. Advantage is the size, fits in a pocket. Most are not very FP friendly so I carry a vintage bullet pencil for quick notes. I also use the Bullet Journal system to organize my random thoughts, tasks, notes. The Index and quickly numbering pages are lifesavers. Recall the 1917 comes with numbered pages.

This is wonderful insight. Thanks all.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

5 Leuchtturm1917 notebooks and they're all fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Some bleeding with wet inks in a broad or 1.1, but nothing excessive.

Some alternatives I like are the Maruman Mnemosyne notebooks, and my favorite A5 is the Nanami Seven Seas Writer, but they can be hard to pin down sometimes.

I say get a Leuchtturm and get to writing.

That Seven Seas Writer look wonderful. Love the pic of the cover. If you had to choose, would you take that or the Leuchtturm1917?

Like most people here, I have used and continue to use a wide variety of notebooks and brands, including some that fit within your strictures. I think the best of these is the A5 Apica Premium CD notebook. It has a cardstock cover, reinforced stitched binding, and luxuriously smooth off-ivory paper that almost never bleeds through. It comes in ruled, blank, and grid versions. At $17, it isn't priced for everyday notetaking. I use a B5 ruled version for my journal.

Of course, unlike sewn-binding notebooks or staplebound or glued, wirebound notebooks don't need to fold to become flat; and if you include wirebound notebooks in your search you'll really open up your choices. Or perhaps I read your perameters too narrowly. Anyway, for everyday notetaking, the A5 Clairefontaine and A5 Rhodia Dotpad are hard to beat. I'm going through a phase in which one Rhodia Dotpad or another (they come in a variety of sizes) is my notepad of choice. I also like the A5 Fabriano Ecoqua notebook, which comes in blank, lined, and grid versions, although it's easier to find the grid version than the others. I believe this version to be casebound and stitched. But I wouldn't swear to it. Good luck, and good hunting.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I used Leuchtturms for several years and really liked them. But then I wasn't using fountain pens.

You mentioned that you use broad nibs. You will find definite "show through" and some "bleed through" with the Leuchtturms papers. You will notice feathering and wider lines. I don't mind a bit of show through, but feathering and bleed through are killers for me.

I personally love Tomoe River. If you need a journal type, check out paperforfountainpens.com. They have some great options.

I have recently gone back to my regular size Traveller's Notebook with the Tomoe River-like insert (013). It is large enough to use with my broad, stub and italic nibs, but small enough to to put into my purse or briefcase. And I love the paper. I use three inserts. One is my most recent completed insert (to refer back to), the center one is the insert that I currently writing in, and the back insert is my calendar. It is a simple system that works for me.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

That Seven Seas Writer look wonderful. Love the pic of the cover. If you had to choose, would you take that or the Leuchtturm1917?

For paper quality, I'd take the Seven Seas any day of the week, but it has Tomoe River paper and takes forever to dry with my few broad nibs.

But for availability and speed of drying, Leuchtturm1917 any day. I have no faults with them aside from the occasional bleedthrough, but it's nothing drastic.

I agree with Studio97 that Leuchtturm 1917 notebooks are too nice (expensive) for work. I save Leuchtturms for personal journaling.

Walmart carries an economical line of leatherette covered journals made by Gibson which are very fountain pen friendly and quite suitable for business use. The journals work well with wet German-medium nibs without any bleedthrough.

I don't have a large amount of experience but have found feathering and bleed through to be a big problem because of my relatively wide nib and less viscous inks like Montblanc. However, I recently found that Peter Pauper Press has very good paper for reasonable prices. I have seen no feathering and almost unnoticeable ghosting in the notebook manufactured by them that was recently gifted to me. It has a fairly smooth (and I believe) uncoated paper that I have been so far impressed by. Worth looking into.

I personally would opt for the clothbound or staple bounded Clairefontaine notebooks, Excellent paper quality and price.

For paper quality, I'd take the Seven Seas any day of the week, but it has Tomoe River paper and takes forever to dry with my few broad nibs.

But for availability and speed of drying, Leuchtturm1917 any day. I have no faults with them aside from the occasional bleedthrough, but it's nothing drastic.

This is great. I thank you!

I agree with Studio97 that Leuchtturm 1917 notebooks are too nice (expensive) for work. I save Leuchtturms for personal journaling.

Walmart carries an economical line of leatherette covered journals made by Gibson which are very fountain pen friendly and quite suitable for business use. The journals work well with wet German-medium nibs without any bleedthrough.

This is just great. Thank you.

I personally would opt for the clothbound or staple bounded Clairefontaine notebooks, Excellent paper quality and price.

+1

The Mnemosyne notebooks have a wire binding that I'm not crazy for, but you can't make it bleed through no matter hard you try.

Great information. It opens so many doors. Thanks all.