Why Are You Adding Bleach To Fountain Pen Inks? What Is It All About?

NickiStew

​I frequently receive messages like the one below:

>>I've seen a bunch of your ink tests over the months and one thing I'm unclear on is - how do we use these for our ink selection? Does mixing with bleach and water inform something about an ink that everyday users should know? Or consider when selecting an ink?

I feel like you put a lot of effort into these and there's something to learn here but I'm just not sure what that is.

By way of an explanation:

What I'm doing here is all part of an art based project to see how I can use fountain pen inks in my artwork to best effect. Fountain pen inks often reveal hidden colour hues when blended with water and can react with bleach in a magical and dramatic way. To best illustrate this here is a link to a swatch test for some deAtramentis inks: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/de-atramentis-inks-review/ in particular check out the ebony swatch! As a result of this ebony swatch test I then went on the create this: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/de-atramentis-ebony/

And there are many other examples on my website of finding something quirky happening in a swatch test and then creating an artwork around this behaviour: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com

My swatches are not purely aimed at handwriting and fountain pen enthusiasts, but creative art enthusiasts too.

The issue, I think, is finding the correct platform to host fountain pen ink art and discussion? The art community in general don't take us seriously (we are not a recognised genre), the calligraphy community are understandably concerned with letterform, so the only home were there is some friendliness, understanding and interest is amongst the fountain pen community, where users and makers of our medium hang out. The good news, is that our small niche activity is gaining interest. We are all fascinated by the same characteristics and magic of fountain pen ink. And I like to think that we are, in our own abstract way, adding a little something extra to the fountain pen community?

What do you think? Should we stay or should we go? And if we have to go, where do we go to?

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• Gofixmix

• rickygene

• fountainpagan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay please. Your work enrichens our understanding of ink as well as being just simply beautiful.

Stay please. Your work enrichens our understanding of ink as well as being just simply beautiful.

Thank you for your reply and support. It isn't easy when you're not sure where you belong. N

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Than you for your reply and support. It isn't easy when you're not sure where you belong. N

I'm sure many of the people on the forum are like me. We spend most of our time reading and are a bit shy about commenting. You shouldn't take our silence as disapproval or lack of interest. Keep up your work - it is appreciated by me and I hope, the silent majority.

Edited by rickygene

Oh please stay... I am an Engineer by trade, if the mighty gods would have given me an inch of your talent, I would have been an artist. I so much enjoy color. :wub: :wub:

What the mighty gods did do, was given me a great appreciation for art in any way or form, for beauty in any way or form and three beautiful artistic children. My eldest is a writer, and he makes me fall in love with his composition and imagination, my second one is a singer (soprano). Every day I get treated to powerful arias, classical operas and a touch of 80's rock here an there... :wub: . My youngest is a visual artist, she will be pursuing a Bachelor in illustration and she is the most responsible for my love of color.

Fountain pen ink is not just utilitarian anymore, with the explosion of colors, it has become a rich media to express one self. I think you art is just the logical progression of what ink is evolving to. Please stay and show us more... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

'Fountain pen ink is not just utilitarian anymore, with the explosion of colors, it has become a rich media to express one self. It is just the logical progression of what ink is evolving to.'

This quote from Claudia says it all - on so many levels.

Edited by NickiStew

My dear Nick, beotians have been existing and been known to be hermetic to art. This said, I don't see why hybrid comments should win over the ones of those of us who truly appreciate a different and artistic approach of our loved drug: ink.

It is a good thing you have given a public view of the matter, this way those ponding such "open minded" comments can see what we think of it.

Keep on, Nick, and thank you for bringing beauty to our eyes.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Yes Cyber6 is correct in that we are in the golden age of Inks.

But do be aware that fountain pen inks are not designed for permanent display, and they may well be subject to fading even when framed under conservation or museum glass. FP inks, being dyes and not pigments, are not noted for their permanence, some may be fugitive. So just be aware of that.

I've enjoyed seeing your art, and it's good to explore different directions. I know there are individual threads where folks show their artwork, but maybe a subform is better.

You, perhaps, have no idea how much and how many people you've helped and inspired so far.

I've adored your work from the very first time I saw a bleached swatch. So pretty, so clever and so informative . . . all at the same time :wub:

You must stay. Create a thread or something. So many of us use inks to play with as well as writing with and your tests are a huge help.

:)

Definitely stay! I love your work and your website!!

I'm surprised the calligraphy community didn't welcome you with open arms.

The technique is beautiful.

I definitely want to see more of your artwork in the future. Being artistically challenged I can only admire works from people like you. If you are receiving messages from many confused inkers, perhaps you want to add a little disclaimer to your posts? Such as "Mixing ink with bleach to create effects is part of my artwork, this is not an endorsement for such practice in daily FP writing."

Wonderful! So much eye candy :)

I would love if there would be thread or section dedicated to this.

I like to doodle with Pelican eradicator and was wondering if there is something else... But you already did the work for us, thank you so much! (The most gorgeous ink swatches I've ever seen)

And your artwork is marvelous, I could never dare to imitate...eeer, excuse me while I go get some bleach... :)

I'm sure many of the people on the forum are like me. We spend most of our time reading and are a bit shy about commenting. You shouldn't take our silence as disapproval or lack of interest. Keep up your work - it is appreciated by me and I hope, the silent majority.

I wish FPN had a "Like" button.

If it catches my attention and makes me think about it, IT IS ART ! I may like it, or not.

However, to refuse to accept another's expression as art is elitist hubris. Any community that displays, as art, a jar of urine, has no moral ground to criticize.

Sorry. Somebody pushed a button of mine.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

There are a number of inks (Noodler's in particular) that talk about being permanent. It is interesting to see which inks stand up to the punishment of water and bleach - and which ones do not in the least.

Often reviews include a Water Drip Test - maybe they should start including a Bleach Drip Test.

Do keep it up - I haven't the skill to produce art and quite enjoy seeing your results and trying to figure out the process behind it.

It's so much fun.

Now I really want to fill some fountain pen with bleach. Or mix of bleach and Sailor nano black?post-129157-0-45395300-1463786012_thumb.jpg

It's so much fun.

Now I really want to fill some fountain pen with bleach. Or mix of bleach and Sailor nano black?attachicon.gifIMG_20160520_235919.jpg

Looks great. IMPORTANT! I don't recommend filling fountain pens with bleach. Firstly, the bleach will destroy the pen. Secondly the flow of bleach through the nib is unpredictable often resulting in a prolapse and a puddle of bleach on your artwork. Thirdly and most importantly - if it goes wrong you could damage your skin and lungs! When using bleach please use a dip pen only in a ventilated room and use small quantities of diluted bleach kept ideally in a lass vessel - an old ink bottle is ideal. Take care. N

Looks great. IMPORTANT! I don't recommend filling fountain pens with bleach. Firstly, the bleach will destroy the pen. Secondly the flow of bleach through the nib is unpredictable often resulting in a prolapse and a puddle of bleach on your artwork. Thirdly and most importantly - if it goes wrong you could damage your skin and lungs! When using bleach please use a dip pen only in a ventilated room and use small quantities of diluted bleach kept ideally in a lass vessel - an old ink bottle is ideal. Take care. N

Does bleach corrode steel dip pen nibs?

Diluted in water, bleach is great to stop and make disappear, rust and rust marks. But if you let it for too long, it will destroy the metal.

I think if you wipe your nib between every dipping, you may control the amount of bleach concentration on the nib.

A thourough cleaning after using will prevent damages.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo