Nurebairo - Kyo No Oto

visvamitra

To be honest I don't know much about the company. Some time ago Algester posted topic about Tag Kyoto branch inks. The bottles and colors presented on their site looked nice so I've decided to try some of these inks. I've managed to buy two on Rakuten and I'll review them. The inks are made by or for Takeda Jimuki company and are available in two lines: Kyo No Oto and Kyo-Iro. Kyo no Oto inks are said to be traditional japanese colors that has been used since heian era (roughly 1000 years ago),and expressing a tinges that have been nurtured in long history and profound culture for long time.

fpn_1463601692__nurebairo3.jpg

Anyway one of the inks I've ordered is Nurebairo. To be honest I was in a hurry and I thought it would be very dark blue-black-grey. It's not. It's black although it does shade in dark blue-indigo which is pretty cool but on the other hand not visible in all nibs. The packaging and bottle are elegant and very nice.

fpn_1463601718__nurebairo2.jpg

fpn_1463601704__nurebairo.jpg

The color is intense and can compete with J. Herbin's Perle Noire or Aurora Black. The ink is very wet and it tends to give broader line than, say, Waterman ink. I haven't observed any bleedthrough but I wouldn't be surprised to see it on worst quality papers. The ink isn't water resistant. What's really cool is the fact it shows quite pronounced sheen.

fpn_1463601661__nurebairo_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1463601670__nurebairo_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1463601608__nurebairo_leuchtturm3.jp

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1463601530__nubeiro_tomoe_1.jpg

fpn_1463601566__nubeiro_tomoe_2.jpg

fpn_1463601584__nubeiro_tomoe_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1463601591__nurebairo_leuchtturm1.jp

fpn_1463601600__nurebairo_leuchtturm2.jp

fpn_1463601618__nurebairo_leuchtturm4.jp

Lyreco, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1463601509__nubeiro_lyreco.jpg

fpn_1463601516__nubeiro_lyreco2.jpg

Water Resistance

fpn_1463601501__nubeiro_h2o.jpg

Sheen (bad quality photo, white balance is off, but you see the sheen)

fpn_1463601625__nurebairo_sheen.jpg

fpn_1463601637__nurebairo_sheen2.jpg

Mini - comparison

fpn_1463601494__nubeiro_comparison.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Tas

• visvamitra

• amberleadavis

Thank you for a review of an ink also not known to me but if I wanted to use a black ink it would certainly have appeal. The sheen is pretty fantastic.

I did try to score one of these bottles, but I couldn't I do really want to see the sheen in person.

Awesome Review Vis!!!... This one seems interesting.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

This is my favourite black ink & I'm almost halfway through my first bottle. Here's a photo I posted some months ago, showing the copper sheen.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281635-inky-t-o-d-color-swatches-black-please-post-your-pictures-and-tell-us-your-thoughts/?p=3549995

In another thread I also posted a side-by-side swab with Waterman Black that shows up the sheen even more.

Edit: link added to swab photo

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/272272-sailors-full-ink-lines-including-shop-exclusives-compiled-in-a-post/?p=3515149

I was lucky to be sent some of the trial run bottles back in the autumn; I'm pleased to see that they didn't mess with the Nureba-iro as it's a great ink.

I have four others & they are all soft vintage-style colours. Do not expect a Sailor-type saturated ink.

They can be bought now in Europe from SakuraGallery.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I am so thrilled that you are reviewing some of these inks! My favorite ink right now is Kyo-Iro Soft Snows of Ohara, a dusty blurple both unique in color and quite water resistant.

If I wanted a black, Nurebairo would be my choice, given the sheen. Thanks so much.

Thank you for the great review, Vis! I'm not a black ink person, but I like this very much. When I am in Asia later this summer, I will have to look for this.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks Vis! I like the black, and I'm not much of a black ink user.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You know me and blacks, especially ones like this with a stealthy underlying colour. :wub:

Lovely review as always, Thank you :)

quite an intense black. a true black, i'd say. nice bottle too.

-rudy-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, my, word !!!!

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_thunderbolt.jpg

It has arrived and the sting of it's cost has immediately gone away.

It is up there with Ellis Island as one of my favourite stealth blacks. It washes away to a beautiful colour leaving behind some evidence of a line. The rascal sheens too.

Thank you for introducing this to us all, especially me.

40ml of pure lovelyness.

(I will also scan the label and make a poster of it. Art is what it is.)

THANK YOU Cyber6 who all but frogmarched me to the Rakuten Store !

Oh, my, word !!!!

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_thunderbolt.jpg

It has arrived and the sting of it's cost has immediately gone away.

It is up there with Ellis Island as one of my favourite stealth blacks. It washes away to a beautiful colour leaving behind some evidence of a line. The rascal sheens too.

Thank you for introducing this to us all, especially me.

40ml of pure lovelyness.

(I will also scan the label and make a poster of it. Art is what it is.)

THANK YOU Cyber6 who all but frogmarched me to the Rakuten Store !

Can't fight back against such an endorsement! :cO

Furthermore, I'm shocked that I've overlooked this review in the first place. Xc/

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

@Tas - I'm glad you enjoy and hope that one of these days you'll post your usual scribbles with the ink :) It's one of two blacks I keep (the other one is Octopus Schwarz). The two combined give me around 60 ml of black ink and given I use black rarely they'll last few years.

Edited by visvamitra

@Tas - I'm glad you enjoy and hope that one of these days you'll post your usual scribbles with the ink :) It's one of two blacks I keep (the other one is Octopus Schwarz). The two combined give me around 60 ml of black ink and given I use black rarely they'll last few years.

Lol.. Interesting enough... I never care for blacks, but a new breed of stealthy blacks with undertones... and in this case "sheen" have capture my heart.

My blacks (in no order): Nurebairo, Octopus Schwarz, Bookbinders Red Belly and Blackstone Barrister Black... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I remember Peregrin Falcon from Kingdom Note series was enjoyable as well but as it's almost impossible to get I don't even bother to look for it :)

Meh.. I get bored by inks that are impossible to get. I like a good ink-chase... but some are just too ridiculous... Didn't care for the Falcon. :P

**** BauerInks.ca ****