A First Look At The 'gist', From Tactile Turn

Jamerelbe

This pen arrived in the mail today, and I'm not even going to pretend this is a thorough review - I just wanted to get some pics up there, for those of you who might be thinking of grabbing one of these down the track. This is one of four Kickstarter pens I've backed in the past 12-18 months - the 'Nexus' and 'Nova' from Namisu, the 'TiScribe' from Urban Survival Gear... and now the 'Gist' from Tactile Turn (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eimim/tactile-turn-gist-simple-fountain-pens-that-really/). It's hard to say which is my favourite - but I've gotta say, straight out of the box I'm really impressed with this one.

Speaking of which... here's a picture of the box:

http://i.imgur.com/2yCxjOD.jpg

And a picture of the pen still inside the box:

http://i.imgur.com/Uh26Wht.jpg

I opted for the full polycarbonate model of the pen - it was also available in brass, copper, bronze, steel, damascus steel or titanium... or in polycarbonate with a metal grip and finial. The pen came with a #6 Bock nib, a 1.1mm stub - but as optional extras I ordered a stainless steel grip and a Fine #6 nib (these were packed in a separate plastic container). Also included in the packaging was a 'thank you card' that includes a 25% off discount for pens purchased via the Tactile Turn website:

http://i.imgur.com/oROuT77.jpg

The following measurements come from the Kickstarter Campaign page:

5ac8ad4e4aabe8cf738e598c66c08565_origina

And here are some comparison photos - with my Lamy 2000 and Safari pens:

http://i.imgur.com/XrIipvZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CraWsV0.jpg

The pen is a little shorter than the Lamy 2000 - 11mm shorter, to be precise - but other than that the pen has a very similar profile. The big difference, of course, is the nib - where the Lamy 2000 sports a 14K gold hooded nib, the Gist employs a Bock #6 nib, in a nib assembly that's readily replaceable or interchangeable.

A couple of slightly blurry close-ups (sorry, I don't have a proper macro lens!):

http://i.imgur.com/mg2BMGC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7FHrBLk.jpg

The Gist takes standard international ink cartridges - and comes with a good quality cartridge converter installed:

http://i.imgur.com/Z5JhDmT.jpg

So, what's my experience of writing with this pen so far?

(1) The pen is really cool-looking - I love the all-black polycarbonate body, and the ridged finish makes it extremely 'grippy' so it won't easily slip between the fingers when writing. The stainless steel grip section, likewise, allows for firm grip.

(2) It's extremely light-weight (~19g with the full polycarbonate body - I haven't tried the stainless steel grip section yet), but very well-balanced and comfortable in the hand. The grip section tapers down from 11.5mm near the threads to 9.5mm nearest the nib, which is a great fit for my hand.

(3) The pen easily assembles and disassembles - the acme threads for the cap are smooth and ensure a good seal when the pen is capped; the thread securing the grip section onto the barrel is much finer, and I think there's a good chance the pen could be 'eyedroppered'.

(4) The fine stainless steel nib is a true fine, and writes very nicely. I've got a few pens now that use the same Bock #6 nib assembly, and like the fact that they're so readily interchangeable.

(5) The pen is equally comfortable to write with, posted and unposted.

How the Gist holds up over time remains to be seen - but first impressions are very favourable. Will try and provide some updates as I 'break the pen in'. Would love to hear from others who jumped on board the Kickstarter campaign - but wanted to get the ball rolling...

One last shot - a short writing sample:

http://i.imgur.com/FgEmcCq.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• mehandiratta

• rajesh06

• pen10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a Tactile Turn Gist in copper (hey, i live in Arizona "the copper state") with a titanium fine nib. In general, i have been impressed with the pen. I like large pens, so the dimensions of the pen are a little smaller than i like both in width and in girth. The grooving around the pen took some getting used to, but after a week i no longer notice it.

The titanium nib has been excellent from the get go. It is quite smooth and leaves a nice line on the page. I like how it writes and it has become a daily writer.

I have a Titanium Bock nib from another Kickstarter campaign that will fit in this pen, so decided to stick with stainless steel - looking forward to swapping the stub nib back in, though! Had a funeral to get to today, 2 1/2 hours from home, so no chance to play with it, but... tomorrow is another day!

I can't wait for mine. It still hasn't shipped out yet as far as I know (order placed in March).

Just swapped in the stainless steel grip section with 1.1mm stub - the metal grip gives the pen extra weight and balance (the all-polycarbonate pen is VERY light!), and the stub nib is wonderfully smooth. Shame my handwriting is so appalling:

post-108160-0-02533800-1463583894_thumb.jpg

Because the grip section is 'ribbed', it's not at all slippery in the hand - if anything, the surface texture makes *both* grip sections 'grippier' than most, which takes a bit of getting used to!

mine is in transit. can't wait. i got the poly body with damascus grip and finale along with the ti nib. haven't tried a ti nib yet.

mine is in transit. can't wait. i got the poly body with damascus grip and finale along with the ti nib. haven't tried a ti nib yet.

@wascallyrabbit that's good to hear - let me know how you find it when it arrives! I was fortunate enough to nab an 'early bird' polycarbonate pen, the day before the campaign ended (someone obviously upgrading to a more expensive pen) - the pen is beautifully machined and finished, and the stainless nibs are pretty awesome - basically what I'm coming to expect from Bock.

I have a Titanium F nib from a previous Kickstarter project - also a great nib, but the feel is very different (springier, but also more 'feedback-y'), and definitely not as fine as the stainless steel. Hope you enjoy yours.

Well, it's definitely a "manly-man" looking pen. I don't care for the whole ridged thing, though, and the Damascus parts don't show to their best advantage with the ribbing (I collect knives with Damascus blades, and really like the look of them when they've been somewhat polished). I am very sensitive to how things feel, and I know that the ridged pen would drive me nuts.

I'm afraid I'd never buy this pen, no matter how nicely it writes. If I can't hold it comfortably, it would all be a moot point. BUT, I'm glad you like it so much. I'm sure it's a fine pen. Just not for me.

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Well, it's definitely a "manly-man" looking pen. I don't care for the whole ridged thing, though, and the Damascus parts don't show to their best advantage with the ribbing (I collect knives with Damascus blades, and really like the look of them when they've been somewhat polished). I am very sensitive to how things feel, and I know that the ridged pen would drive me nuts.

I'm afraid I'd never buy this pen, no matter how nicely it writes. If I can't hold it comfortably, it would all be a moot point. BUT, I'm glad you like it so much. I'm sure it's a fine pen. Just not for me.

You may well be right about the Damascus steel thing - though I have to say my stainless steel grip section is still quite shiny, despite the ridging. I sympathise with the lack of enthusiasm for this feature - it does affect the feel of the pen, and it won't be for everyone.

The external contours of the pen when capped (at least in the polycarbonate version) look a lot like the Lamy 2000, though about 1cm shorter. I'm not sure that makes it a "manly-man" pen, but definitely it's fairly understated. Until you uncap the pen, that is, and expose the #6 nib!

In case anyone's interested, the Gist is currently available on Massdrop - but I suspect you'll get a better deal if you go to the Tactile Turn website and take advantage of the 25% discount he's offering (see card in photo above)...

Thanks for a good review.

I know nothing about this pen or the company, but I am going to check out the website. Generally, I do not like metal sections. They are a deal breaker for me. However, I do have a couple FP's with textured metal sections that I do sort of like. The texture makes the difference, and they have an oddly comfortable feel. I need to see what is available and I just might try one of these pens.

I believe this is

Thanks for a good review.

I know nothing about this pen or the company, but I am going to check out the website. Generally, I do not like metal sections. They are a deal breaker for me. However, I do have a couple FP's with textured metal sections that I do sort of like. The texture makes the difference, and they have an oddly comfortable feel. I need to see what is available and I just might try one of these pens.

Tactile Turn I *believe* is a one-man-outfit - according to the website it's "a small machine shop and design studio created by Will Hodges". This is Will's first foray into the world of fountain pens - his earlier creations have included ballpoint / rollerball pens and a couple of shaving razor handles.

I have a few pens with metal grip sections that are waaaay too slippery - but I haven't found that to be the case with the Gist. If anything it borders on being too *grippy*, with the ridges in the grip section allowing me to maintain a secure hold on it. The all-polycarbonate model is extremely light (which is fine by me); swapping in the stainless steel (extra) grip section I purchased made the pen a little weightier, and I like the fact that it "front-weights" the pen a little more.

If you want some other reviews, I believe SBRE Brown and Gourmet Pens have a video or two (they received a couple of preview pens), and Ed Jelly has some pretty awesome pics on his website (he did the original Kickstarter 'photo shoot' for Will).

Backing a Kickstarter project is always a little risky - but no regrets this time around!

i got mine. the ribbing is more comfortable than i would have thought. got it wrong i go the gold nib not the ti nib. guess i'll be ordering a ti nib. the gold nib is nice. even though its a tad shorter than the lamy 2000 it fits my hand well and i don't need to post it. so far the only thing i don't really care for is the two full turns to remove put on the cap.

i agree on the damascus not really shown because of the ribbing. but the grip is comfortable to me anyways. i did not get mine with the logo but it does look pretty good. maybe next time he'll get his logo on the nib instead of the bock logo. i know they offer it, just not sure of the additional cost.

Awesome review..

Do you mind posting pics for pen closeup of material.. Want to see that ridged finish..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Awesome review..

Do you mind posting pics for pen closeup of material.. Want to see that ridged finish..

Thanks for your kind words - I'm afraid my camera equipment is a bit basic (I need a good macro lens), but I've taken a couple of close-ups using my smart phone camera in combo with a 7x BelOmo loupe.

Polycarbonate barrel:

post-108160-0-78863600-1463902296_thumb.jpg

Stainless steel section:

post-108160-0-35136500-1463902363_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind words - I'm afraid my camera equipment is a bit basic (I need a good macro lens), but I've taken a couple of close-ups using my smart phone camera in combo with a 7x BelOmo loupe.

Polycarbonate barrel:

attachicon.gif2016-05-22 17.24.05.jpg

Stainless steel section:

attachicon.gif2016-05-22 17.24.32.jpg

Thank you so much... this serves the purpose...

i will make the purchase now at massdrop

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thank you so much... this serves the purpose...

i will make the purchase now at massdrop

No worries - before you buy from Massdrop though, see how the price compares if you buy direct from their website (www.tactileturn.com),using the code "ilovepens" to get 25% off.

No worries - before you buy from Massdrop though, see how the price compares if you buy direct from their website (www.tactileturn.com),using the code "ilovepens" to get 25% off.

thank you

vaibhav mehandiratta

Nice pen. I am interested to go for it. Can you look into the cap and tell me if there is an inner cap arrangement inside that seals the nib when the pen is capped? Thanks!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

there is no liner in the cap. but so far my nib is not showing any signs of drying out so i believe the threads do a good of sealing the cap.