Help To Identify Yard-O-Led Sterling Silver Pencil

Trooper8

Hello All,

I have recently acquired a lovely Yard-O-Led Sterling Silver Pencil and I am having difficulty with identifying the model? I have enclosed a range of pictures, I'm thinking it looks like a Regent but there is no jewel on the cap that would coincide with my thinking. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or information with a list of their models would be great too.

Cheers

Rossco

post-58643-0-77003300-1463395910_thumb.jpg

post-58643-0-60813000-1463395933_thumb.jpg

post-58643-0-04746100-1463395958_thumb.jpg

post-58643-0-01359000-1463395981_thumb.jpg

post-58643-0-89848800-1463396005_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trooper8

• pennymann

• jar

• brennapen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not very au fait with YOL, so will be a bit vague.

It is not a current model. These are visible here: http://www.yard-o-led.co.uk/

Of the current models it is similar to an Edwardian Pencil. It may be an earlier variant, or something I have no knowledge of at all (more likely than the earlier variant hypothesis).

Don't think it's a regent - which is hexagonal.

Regards,

Richard.

I was wondering whether they would be able to help me, but unsure to how responsive a company like that would be. Well you don't ask you don't get I will email them and see what they say.

I was wondering whether they would be able to help me, but unsure to how responsive a company like that would be. Well you don't ask you don't get I will email them and see what they say.

There are only about a dozen folk at YoL and my experience is they are there because they love what they are doing. You're in the UK, give them a call.

My Website

Sent them an email last night and I hope to hear back from them soon. i'll let you know what I manage to find out.

You should be able to date it from the hallmark if it's Sterling Silver. The likelihood is that the pencil is older than you think (70s or even 60s) - it's very similar in style to the Mordan Centennial pencil.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Had an email from YOL today and have uploaded the images to them to see what the model is, ill let you know how I get on.

your pencil was probably made by Edward Baker in the mid 60's. The hallmark should confirm this. YOL should get back to you but they are very busy .

This model inspired the later round regent pencil and the hexagon regent too. The round regent was discontinued quite a few years ago now.

ok that's fine now I know the HM. YOL was made by Johnson and Matthey in London up to the mid 60's when it was transferred to Edward Baker in Birmingham. I'm sure Bakers continued to make these for a while that's why I thought it was EB. I will tell you a secret if you can keep it. I am the semi retired soon to be retired repair guy at YOL.

ok that's fine now I know the HM. YOL was made by Johnson and Matthey in London up to the mid 60's when it was transferred to Edward Baker in Birmingham. I'm sure Bakers continued to make these for a while that's why I thought it was EB. I will tell you a secret if you can keep it. I am the semi retired soon to be retired repair guy at YOL.

Man are you a person we need here. Welcome home.

My Website

it's taken me a long time to get round to doing this. If I can help anyone who needs information I will . My father spent 50 years at Edward Baker then YOL . My eldest brother followed him and will have done 51 years in August. I am but a baby with nearly 30 years .

Thank you for your comments, I'm still awaiting a reply from YOL but I can imagine it may take them some time as they are small firm with only a handful of employees. You've provided me with the information that I was looking for so thanks once again.

• 11 months later...

This pencil is the Yard o Led 'Heavy Silver Model'. 001. It was also made with six sides, Hexagonal. 006

It was made after YoL took over Edward Baker in the Edward Baker style but with the YoL mechanism. Edward Baker pencils continued to be made for a few years after 1955 and were sold in YoL boxes with the Baker name in the lid. The instructions were printed the same as YoL and had the YoL address at the bottom of the instructions. Some of these Heavy Silver models were missing the YoL name on the clip.

brennapen

Grandson of the YoL's founder

Welcome to the board and thank you for the awesome YoL data! I'm a fan of the pens, so please do stay and tell us more. :wub:

• 6 months later...

My first posting for a long time. This topic moved me enough to make me do so.

That is one lovely pencil, Trooper8. I am envious. I have a Viceroy fountain pen and two silver pencils (one brand new and one from the 1940's) which I absolutely adore. Those YOL instruments are perhaps the most treasured in my collection.

I echo the sentiments of JAR and Ghost Plane. It is great to see contributions from those with links to the company and to learn something of it's history and working practices. I hope to read more.

I wonder if someone will write a book about YOL? I sincerely hope so.

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

As far as I know Brennerpen is the expert on YOL and he has been writing a book on YOL but as far as I know it's not been published yet. Perhaps he can let us know what the situation is . There are many people who would love it, me included

I know from my own experience the knowledge dies when people pass on. There are no photographs of Edward Baker at all before the late 70's.