Oxford Blue - Diamine

visvamitra

Looks like a very nice blue, thanks for showing us. I imagine this is the same ink as Chesterfield's Oxford Blue, I will give it a try.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• radellaf

• visvamitra

• chromantic

• AndyYNWA

Chesterfield Oxford is more like Majestic, a very saturated bright blue. I should have some to test soon.

post-31871-0-49880500-1464040137_thumb.jpeg

Here's a comparison of some Diamine and Chesterfield colors with the new Oxford Blue, smears on HP 32# laser. It's closest to Midnight but less muted (more saturated). Also, Yankee and Midnight aren't looking like a match this time. No sheens, but then I never see that on this paper.

It's a nice bluejeans color, I'd say. Denim is darker than most of the denim I see.

This is within 15 minutes of application. Might be worth another photo in a few days as I've seen some ink change color over time.

Nice colour!

It looks quite close to Kitanozaka Night Blue, or is my screen failing me.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

attachicon.gifDiamine Oxford Both lo.jpeg

Here's a comparison of some Diamine and Chesterfield colors with the new Oxford Blue, smears on HP 32# laser. It's closest to Midnight but less muted (more saturated). Also, Yankee and Midnight aren't looking like a match this time. No sheens, but then I never see that on this paper.

It's a nice bluejeans color, I'd say. Denim is darker than most of the denim I see.

This is within 15 minutes of application. Might be worth another photo in a few days as I've seen some ink change color over time.

Thanks for this. Denim appears to have more grey/black in it, and Oxford appears to be a dark true blue, tho not as dark as CDD (?). I do consider Denim to be a blue-black (my 2nd favorite after Noodlers FPN Starry Night), and a bit misleadingly labeled (I only buy stone-washed levi's).

Not quite as dark as Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue, but very close. A tiny bit lighter and more blue than blue-black. If Denim is blue black, and if I'm not sure if CDD quite qualifies, then Oxford is true very dark blue.

The stonewashed are lighter. This looks like the darkest pair of these, if not quite that dark:

post-31871-0-69393900-1464114459.jpg

Here's a new photo in bright noonday (well 1pm) sun. I didn't try to make the paper 100% white this time which I think makes the darkness of the inks more accurate. All a crapshoot without professional color calibration end-to-end, but I get something out of these anyway. The small swatch is my sample vial of Majestic Blue. Either I got the wrong sample, or the ink looked different 4 years ago. The company was, I think, still operating off a kitchen table at the time. Or there was an off-color bottle; that has to happen occasionally, I imagine.

post-31871-0-56702400-1464114439_thumb.jpg

Edited by radellaf

Darn it, I thought I'd already found my 'perfect' blue! I guess I'll have to try this one now. :rolleyes:

Another great review, btw.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the review. I like the color a lot. Is it available in the US yet?

Haven't seen it at US retailers, or Diamine's own site yet, but the prices are often better shipped from the UK anyway. Diamine does have a lower shipping charge than Cult for 1-5 bottles, but surely there are 7 or 8 you just have to have? Dunno what the delay is.

Although they are temporarily "out of stock" for this ink, don't forget THE WRITING DESK; this week I ordered four 80ml bottles of Diamine to include the new Classic Green & shipped to the US was 27.61GBP or $40.34 USD. I do not mind paying the extra charge for overseas shipment when each bottle of ink is more than 50% less than US price.

Again I am NOT affiliated with, paid by nor related to the WRITING DESK, merely a happy, grateful customer for their always perfect service & consideration.

An Epson 2450 scan instead of a photo of the blue comparisons. Not as much saturation, especially in the Blue Velvet and Penman, as seen with the photos.

post-31871-0-39979900-1465025894_thumb.jpg

Vis, how's the show-through on cheap office paper with this?

Not seeing any on the Hammermill 20# Copy Plus, and just a bit on (good) Moleskine paper.

post-31871-0-46080400-1465082044.jpg

Not sure why it's "plus". 92 brightness vs 87, perhaps. Regular Hammermill "Copy" is the same, though.

The more I see of this ink, the more I like it. Definitely on the list. Thanks for the review and comparisons!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Thanks, radellaf, that's probably what I'd see at work.

• 3 weeks later...

So, it has been about two weeks, and the pen sat for the second week unused. I open it to find some nib creep in s splotch that won't wipe away. Or rather, the ink has, but it seems to have etched (?) the shiny top of the nib. Dry or mostly dried ink shouldn't do that, especially not so quickly. I was going to put an Andersons 1.1 italic on here anyway, but still. Dunno whether to blame the ink, or bad steel in the nib.

Photo

http://i.imgur.com/kSFLxTa.jpg