Help Finding A Legit Retailer For The Hero 100 From The Uk

ploxxman

I bought this pen a few days ago ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hero-100-Vintage-Classic-Design-Black-14K-Gold-Nib-Fountain-Pen/32320663063.html ) to be told by our friends at reddit that it is indeed a fake. Does anyone know of a legit retailer from the United Kingdom to buy this pen. Perhaps this seller on ebay? ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Hero-100-Black-Fountain-Pen-14K-Gold-Fine-Nib-Classic-Series-/390847448859?hash=item5b0052c71b:g:IGIAAOSwEetWBPUl ) Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seele

• ploxxman

• katerchen

Top Posters In This Topic

While the box shown in the first linked page suggests that it is counterfeit (the gold parts without black striations), judging by the pictures there's insufficient data to tell if the second is definitely genuine. There are indeed some webpages with genuine (真) and counterfeit (假) side-by-side comparison pictures, such as these; they're worth a look:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2075856523

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1591879881

That said, there is no one identifiable "manufacturer of counterfeit 100s" so it would be unrealistic to assume all counterfeits have a consistent set of external attributes which can be easily spotted in photographs; it would be easy to check after disassembly of course!

A reliable vendor on eBay is Richard who occasionally contributes here; he runs the eBay shop jewelrymathematics and he gets them direct from Hero, so they should be good.

For me I was fortunate enough to spot a local user who was selling his "Flighter edition" so it's not only genuine but was proven as a good performer; the fact that he took the depreciation hit first was also a nice thing for me as well. It's a long shot, as collectors in China have the first pick, but if you can find an example from the 80s or 90s, or even before, in good condition, it should be quite rewarding as well, as they were built before the tooling started to get worn, causing the lack of complete roundness of the section hood thread, which further leads to the possibility of cracks developing.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Another vote for jewelrymathematics. I got this from him:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hero-1000-10K-Gold-Nib-Fountain-Pen-Without-Box-/231250846971

and it's a very nice, reliable writer.

-k

katerchen,

The Hero 1000 is indeed rather nice! Although the gold nib has a lower gold content (which is basically not an issue) it can be considered the 100 reimagined in the modern idiom, with extensive use of metal in its construction, thus making it somewhat heavier. I would recommend this pen as well unless the extra weight is not desirable.

Also, it's also worth checking out the 110, which is in essence the "100 jr"; I'd say it gets comparatibvely less attention from counterfeiters so it's another option.

Thanks for the amazing response guys you've been a massive help ! Will be shortly purchasing from jewelrymathematics!

Thanks for the amazing response guys you've been a massive help ! Will be shortly purchasing from jewelrymathematics!

Better be careful; Richard also carries quite a selection of current and discontinued models, many of them are rather desirable as well!