List Of Tutorials - Adding Flex To A Nib

Frank66

This thread is about people who are willing to contribute with a link and possibly a short description to:

articles, posts, discussions, technical articles, pictures, diagrams, videos or other instructional info, armamentarium needed, etc anything that could be relevant on ways to add flex to a fountain pen nib.

Everyone's input will be highly appreciated. Any link deemed useful for someone when they tried there own flex nib modification that they are willing to share with the forum will be welcome here.

Hopefully at the end, the list of references accumulated will help pen users to have a condensed thread to study about their own pen flex modification attempts, instead of looking for information scattered all around the web. The goal is to gather in as much material, from as many sources on this topic as possible, for everyone to use in the future; think of it as a reference list at the end of a book or a bibliography on this subject.

The material will remain property of the FPN and its members for as long the forum wishes to host it. Reference to non-copyrighted material should clearly indicate the source of the link. Reference to useful links to copyrighted material as well as benevolent comments about them are mostly welcome, but copying and pasting experts from copyrighted material is strictly NOT allowed, unless accompanied by a written consent by the copyright owner.

Many thanks to all who are willing to share,

Photios

PS: I have no commercial interest in fountain pens, I am just a fp enthusiast. My respects go to all people, professional and amateurs, who have toiled for the advancement of the fountain pen experience, as we all enjoy it.

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank66

• ninobrn99

• Drone

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserving a spot for myself. I'll come up with a few lessons learned and tools used for the things I've done.

Nino

Nino, you and all other members who are willing to share their own experience are welcome to come forward at their own convenience. Thanks Photios

Edited by Frank66

"Noodler´s Ahab - Ease My Flex Mod" by Pterodatctylus

This long thread (link below) is about modifying (grinding) a nib for added flex. The technique is not strictly limited to the Noodler's Ahab/Konrad semi-flex nibs. One caveat with any nib modification that allows additional flexibility: You must have enough ink flow to support the nib when it is flexed; otherwise you're just asking for problems like railroading and/or skips and hard starts.

Typically, modern plastic feeds cannot provide enough ink flow to support a nib when flexed. Ebonite (hard-rubber) feeds are recommended instead, for added ink flow. Also, if you are using an Ebonite feed, you must heat-set the feed to the nib in order for the feed to work properly. The Noodler's Ahab and Konrad pens do come with an Ebonite feed out-of-the-box. But you typically do need to heat-set the Noodler's feeds to gain the needed ink flow.

Here's the link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/240492-noodlers-ahab-ease-my-flex-mod/

Enjoy! David

Edited by Drone

Thanks David for your input. I expect other people soon to come forward with their own suggestions. Today I thought of mentioning one site that most forum members will undoubtedly find mesmerizing.

Leigh Reyes. My Life As a Verb.

- How to find pens with flexible nibs, flexy nibs, flex nibs, wet noodle. http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=2865

- The Nakaya elastic nib FAQ. http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=5029

- For fast, expressive drawings: flex or music nib? http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=4038

- Flexible nibs by Richard Binder http://www.leighreyes.com/?attachment_id=4809

- Desiderata: are these the flex pens you’re looking for? http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=4885

and while you are it please look into:

- Shimmerfy your own inks. Because you can. http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=5077

• 4 weeks later...

May I add a couple of more links for those who might be interested in this topic. Other members are welcome to come forward with their own recommendations:

- bardiir on post #10 of the FPN thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290786-what-causes-railroading-even-at-slow-writing-speeds/ comments how we can write flex with any ink, and recommends how adding a tiny bit liquid soap in the ink can prevent railroading in flexy nibs.

Plus there is ongoing discussion on the flex topics in the following threads:

- Adding Flex To A 14K Nib, Again by Ninobm99

- Flex Manufacturing by Meltemi

So, I guess if one wants the flexy effect in writing, one can use a flexy nib, a stub nib or make the ink a little wetter. You may get quite a bit of ink feathering but this last method is the easiest method to get some line variation on the cheap. Here is a sample based on bardiir post mentioned above.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/BF42429C-0F0A-4FF8-92DA-10E49E3CEA93_zpshswer6ks.jpg

Edited by Frank66