Wancher Ebine (Red-Violet)

chromantic

Received Wancher Ebine last week, loaded it into a Baoer 388 fine and have been using it off and on since then; now it's time for the review.

fpn_1463075480__erbine_1b.jpg

As you can see, Ebine is a dark-ish red-violet color. It's somewhat similar to Yama-budo, except lighter and redder and, of course, no sheen at all. I came across Sandy1's review of Ebine after having bought YB based on dizzypen's comparison of it and Saguaro Wine. Ebine seems to fall squarely between those two - lighter & less purple than YB, darker & less pink than Saguaro.

The color itself is pleasant enough (if you like red-violet), bold yet slightly understated and not as in-your-face as Rose Cyclamen. OK for casual inter-office use, not for client-side. Same for school, ok for taking notes but not for turned-in assignments. Definitely fine for personal use.

Pretty well-behaved, overall. Flows pretty well once it's started; took a couple minutes to get going after the pen sat for a couple days. Ever so slight nib creep but no evidence of nib crud after eight days. Seems fairly water resistant (that was probably 15-20 secs on the water test). Shading appears pretty minimal, the line looks fairly consistent.

As you can see from the next scan, show-through is very slight on the 24 lb copy paper, better than both YB and Cyclamen; bleed-through also more apparent on the Rose.

fpn_1463070259__erbine_3a.jpg

So, any reason to use this particular ink over something else?

Well, it's a pretty color and it's pretty well-behaved. And it's also really cheap inexpensive. The color is somewhat similar to Yama-budo but my Yama-budo cost $18.50 with free ship for 25 ml while Ebine cost $7 + $5.50 ship for 100 ml, so 4x as much ink for 2/3 the price.

Now, am I saying Ebine is as nice as YB? Um ... no. There's no sheen, for one thing, and the purple color of YB is a little more appealing. But for casual everyday use where you might go through a lot of ink it's a good alternative.

I think that's about it; if I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Edited by lapis

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• inkstainedruth

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the nice review. A very interesting ink!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the review. I like having the comparison to Yama-budo (which I love) and also Rose Cyclamen (which I've considered trying -- I did NOT, BTW particularly like Rose Tendresse).

This reminds me a bit of De Atramentis Red Roses (for which I don't think there is an unscented version). In some pens it's more rose pink, but in a Vacumatic with an F nib it is darker and more red-violet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."