What Do You Carry/haul Your Pens In?

fountainpenlady

gone

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• Fatestorm

• Namo

• ggrosjean

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I generally use a 6 pen FPR leather wrap. Only take 3 pens to work and back but there is always room for more should I decide I want them.

What do I carry my pens in when they're gone?

That seems like an odd question... ;)

Varies, but lately I use two Levenger three pen sleeves, which Mass Drop offered a few months ago (I think they are available there again). Pretty handy, not perfect. I have several more traditional three and four pen cases, as well as a 24 pen zipper case, but I keep clean, out-of-rotation pens in that. I am constantly experimenting with combinations that fit my needs, and my needs are constantly changing.

What do I carry my pens in when they're gone?

My apologies. There was an actual questions which led this thread, including pictures. Well, it seemed as if I was in a room by myself, no responses. So, deleted photograph and verbiage. Much appreciated for responding. I thought I was the only one who carries my pens outside of my residence in something other than a pocket protector or pants pocket. :yikes:

Now, I carry mine in either this pen roll you see or two pen cases, which are also cotton and smaller in terms of how many pens they carry. They are all carried inside this Russian Drum Pouch I just received and altered. Also, carry a couple sample inks along with me. There are also two pens clipped inside for easy access since they may be the stars of the day in rotation. I volunteer on a military base and must admit it reminds me of an ammo pouch; one which perhaps an MP might carry his or her extra ammo in. I carry it as a cross body. However, it keeps my pens close to me, so I will use it for now. :lticaptd:

post-35018-0-26064900-1463093086_thumb.jpg

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

FountainPenLady--that's a very cute set-up (the Russian Drum Pouch). :)

I have some little handknit pen slips I got at the DC pen show a couple years ago. I put my pens inside the slips and then into a Clairefontaine pencil case.I also like the hisnibs two pen wraps which are made of cloth.

FountainPenLady--that's a very cute set-up (the Russian Drum Pouch). :)

I have some little handknit pen slips I got at the DC pen show a couple years ago. I put my pens inside the slips and then into a Clairefontaine pencil case.I also like the hisnibs two pen wraps which are made of cloth.

I purchased the smaller version of the wrap one of the same pattern. It only holds 4 pens. It wraps differently and when I needed to hold more than four, I use this one instead. I also like that it ties, the smaller one wraps and you have to tuck the end, which gets un tucked often. Also, I also have a couple smaller fabric pen cases from Nan and Ling of long ago, which I am now also using. Believe it or not the drum case measures something like 7 inches or so wide, inside though it is huge. I am also able to carry a pair of readers in their case and still more room available. From the Russian Drum pouch, I took off a side pocket, which I did not need and used scatter pins to make it not look so obvious there was a pocket there.

Being a guy who generally wore shirts with pockets before I started collecting pens ~20 years ago (yeesh,) it was a pretty easy transition to being a guy who _always_ wore shirts with pockets.

So, I nearly never am without a shirt with one or two pens in the breast pocket. When I was newer to the hobby, and even more of a (bleep) than I am now, I would frequently carry three or four pens in my pocket, but those days are (generally) in the past.

Since two pens are, of course, not nearly enough to get through the work day, I employ some combination of either a Franklin Christoph 3-pen case and/ or a 24-pen zipper case that was put together by the Zoss list many years back.

Just recently I found myself about to venture forth in a situation where I would have a light jacket with front pockets over a shirt with no pockets. The horror! So, I found a great LEATHER-Fabric Lined Leather Pen Pouch on Etsy that fit the bill for one pen, my Pilot Custom 845. Its only flaw was that the grommet that held the elastic clasp in place exposed a sharp metal edge to the inside of the pouch, so I used a bit of moleskin (no 'e') to fix that up. It is a nice, slim case that I was able to put in my jacket pocket unobtrusively.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Being a guy who generally wore shirts with pockets before I started collecting pens ~20 years ago (yeesh,) it was a pretty easy transition to being a guy who _always_ wore shirts with pockets.

So, I nearly never am without a shirt with one or two pens in the breast pocket. When I was newer to the hobby, and even more of a (bleep) than I am now, I would frequently carry three or four pens in my pocket, but those days are (generally) in the past.

Since two pens are, of course, not nearly enough to get through the work day, I employ some combination of either a Franklin Christoph 3-pen case and/ or a 24-pen zipper case that was put together by the Zoss list many years back.

Just recently I found myself about to venture forth in a situation where I would have a light jacket with front pockets over a shirt with no pockets. The horror! So, I found a great LEATHER-Fabric Lined Leather Pen Pouch on Etsy that fit the bill for one pen, my Pilot Custom 845. Its only flaw was that the grommet that held the elastic clasp in place exposed a sharp metal edge to the inside of the pouch, so I used a bit of moleskin (no 'e') to fix that up. It is a nice, slim case that I was able to put in my jacket pocket unobtrusively.

Best Regards, greg

We are as diverse in what we employ to hold our pens as we are in the pens, nibs. What I thought of as I read your reply was over the years the way I have changed in terms of what I carry my pen or pens in. Pen Wraps, Pen cases, Leather pen wrap, cotton, Penvelope from FC, I have a plastic container with many of what I have carried my collections over the years. It is what makes us comfortable in carrying our writing instruments at the time and what w feel we need to tweak to our own personal liking. We don't dare want something we have decided to carry our pens in to damage them. You bring a perspective in terms of what it must feel like to be a gentleman with this passion. I had not considered that just as we who are women look for something which will safely allow us to carry our pens close to us, yet in a way which makes us feel as if safe, so is the case for gentlemen. People who think it is just about pens, or inks or paper for that matter have no idea. We also want to know when not in use our daily rotation, or collection for that matter are still well taken care of don't we?

I am struggling with this topic. I don't mind if the pens I write with get their patina of scratches from use, so it's usually my shirt pocket for them. But for really nice pens, Pelikans and (maybe soon) a Montblanc, I would want a sleeve or pouch or something. But leather sleeves seem inconvenient, as if you have to fish the pen out of a tight leather sleeve, and I worry about that leather squeezing the pen hard. And leather 'boxey' type cases seem bulky and inelegant.

With kind regards,
-Matthew

I am struggling with this topic. I don't mind if the pens I write with get their patina of scratches from use, so it's usually my shirt pocket for them. But for really nice pens, Pelikans and (maybe soon) a Montblanc, I would want a sleeve or pouch or something. But leather sleeves seem inconvenient, as if you have to fish the pen out of a tight leather sleeve, and I worry about that leather squeezing the pen hard. And leather 'boxey' type cases seem bulky and inelegant.

There are also leather cases. There are more choices than sleeves, or pouches, or wraps. With that said, which issue is more important? A leather sleeve will stretch in time, especially if the pen is used consistently. Do not know whether I have ever heard of a pen being squeezed hard by being in a leather sleeve. It depends. There are the Franklin-Christoph, which depending on how many pens are not boxy. They allow room round the pen. You easily slide and use the pen clip, opposed to having to fit a pen in a pocket by sliding each in pocket.

I do not work for any of the following companies. Simply providing them as a source of options. I am unsure other than a different option in material, such as fabric whether there will have to be come compromise between the issues raised. An expensive pen with scratches to the body may be worth having a pen case which will allow for perhaps slight discomfort in carrying them, but certainly in terms of protecting them, and their beauty worth the extra effort. A writing instrument writes well, feels great and aesthetically looks good also.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/1-2-3-pen-cases.html

https://www.penchalet.com/pen_accessories/pen_carrying_cases/

There are also leather cases. There are more choices than sleeves, or pouches, or wraps. With that said, which issue is more important? A leather sleeve will stretch in time, especially if the pen is used consistently. Do not know whether I have ever heard of a pen being squeezed hard by being in a leather sleeve. It depends. There are the Franklin-Christoph, which depending on how many pens are not boxy. They allow room round the pen. You easily slide and use the pen clip, opposed to having to fit a pen in a pocket by sliding each in pocket.

I do not work for any of the following companies. Simply providing them as a source of options. I am unsure other than a different option in material, such as fabric whether there will have to be come compromise between the issues raised. An expensive pen with scratches to the body may be worth having a pen case which will allow for perhaps slight discomfort in carrying them, but certainly in terms of protecting them, and their beauty worth the extra effort. A writing instrument writes well, feels great and aesthetically looks good also.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/1-2-3-pen-cases.html

https://www.penchalet.com/pen_accessories/pen_carrying_cases/

This is exactly the sort of suggestion I was hoping for! I will definitely check these out, thank you!

With kind regards,
-Matthew

This is exactly the sort of suggestion I was hoping for! I will definitely check these out, thank you!

:) Enjoy your weekend ahead. Glad I could offer some suggestions. Rooting passionately for the care and welfare of your pens and the MontBlanc to come! :lticaptd:

Do you--or does anyone--have any of the Franklin-Christoph pen cases? These are looking to be right what I'd be wanting. I'd be curious to know how the leather feels and looks in person, where it falls on the hard and rigid to soft and plush/padded spectrum. I imagine that you slide the pen in from the top, and clip the pen to one of the side sections of leather?

With kind regards,
-Matthew

Do you--or does anyone--have any of the Franklin-Christoph pen cases? These are looking to be right what I'd be wanting. I'd be curious to know how the leather feels and looks in person, where it falls on the hard and rigid to soft and plush/padded spectrum. I imagine that you slide the pen in from the top, and clip the pen to one of the side sections of leather?

Yes. in my opinion, they are of a high quality. I have seen them in person, as they were at last year's pen show where I live. I, like you wanted to actually feel the leather, etc. Ended up buying the 6 Penvelope. The leather I selected was their maroon saddle leather. It was smooth and felt like a rich leather. In time, the leather will get those kind of surface scratches of a particular level of leather. It simply adds to character so it is said. It does not have any effect on the inside, simply it does not stay pristine. I am not sure, but believe they discontinued having it in an actual box and you get a dust bag which you can keep the pen case in, but I don't know if the same is true of the smaller ones. You probably won't mind the surface scratches over time. You may not even care too much about the physical appearance of your case. The inside is adequately padded, but not bulky padding. The pens won't touch and there is room inside each specific area so that you won't have any worry about a pen having to squeeze inside. I have kept my hefty pens inside and still there was room in each area. The inside of them are not rigid, in my opinion at all, rather they are adequately padded. They have body and not soft like being easily malleable. I can only tell you my interpretations of what I saw, felt and ultimately purchased for my own rotation. I believe they have added a new kind of leather or offering. They are really receptive in terms of communication. Why don't you contact them? I am going to stay away from them when our Pen Show returns early June. As I posted somewhere else, inside of :20 minutes of entering the pen show I spent nearly all my money on items from their booth At the time, I was sure relieved both my hotel room and automobile were paid in full. :lticaptd:

P.S. Here are some threads which you might find interesting:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/262971-best-pen-case/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296318-do-franklin-christoph-pen-cases-scratch-your-pens/

For more just type in pen cases or Franklin Christoph in search bar where it says google and you will find several suggestions and reviews, etc.

dsc01116.jpg?w=1190&h=724

I use Pelikan leather pen cases for carrying pens inked and ready to write. I like having a choice, so I often will have three three-pen cases with me, for nine pens of various nibs and inks. I also have the two and one pen cases.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

One pen? Shirt or jacket pocket.

Two pens? Shirt pocket and front placket or jacket pocket.

Three or more? This quilted pen wrap Mrs. Bookman made for me.

fpn_1463238537__pen-wrap-01.jpg

fpn_1463238625__pen-wrap-02.jpg

fpn_1463238676__pen-wrap-03.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

One pen? Shirt or jacket pocket.

Two pens? Shirt pocket and front placket or jacket pocket.

Three or more? This quilted pen wrap Mrs. Bookman made for me.

fpn_1463238537__pen-wrap-01.jpg

fpn_1463238625__pen-wrap-02.jpg

fpn_1463238676__pen-wrap-03.jpg

I have seen your Pen Wrap Mrs. Bookman made you before. I can not remember when, or during what year, but I never forget such a unique pen wrap. Glad to see it is still holding up very well. :D