How Far Into The Stand Does My Pen Need To Go?

zedder2

Hi everyone - been a lurker for a while - great site.

I've owned a 149 for about 5 years and highly enjoy it.

The other day I bought on a whim a 149 desk stand on eBay. The square one with see through base.

Its arrived - it looks lovely - the problem... the thread on my 149 doesn't match the thread on the base. :-( so the pen wont screw in.

It just doesn't catch and I don't want to force it.

Question is: how far do i need it to go in?

The pen goes into the base - up to the thread - its clearly in the base - if a bit loose - it wont fall out - however it is doing it any harm by not being tightly shut?

I could cap the pen and put it in the other way round but to my mind that doesn't quite looks right?

I can return the base - but its lovely.

whats really annoying is my friend who also has a 149 but older than mine - his pen fits perfectly - id sell him the stand but he has one of the older rectangular solid ones.

I've thought about almost sanding off the threads in the base cap so the pen goes in further but I'm not sure I've the skill to do that without damaging it.

I guess in some ways - is a pen harmed by not capping it properly when not in use?

thanks for your help/comments.

ps I'm convinced my pen is real - i bought it from a major retailer.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zedder2

• jar

• Pen Nut

• macball

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

? I have had a few of these bases and never had any trouble like you are having. You do know that some of the base caps are not threaded dont you ?

Can you post a pic please.

If you are only ever going to use the pen as a desk item you could swap caps using your original on the base.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

ill try and post a pic later when I'm back home - the cap on the stand definitely has a thread in it. I've just googled images and i can see that some don't have thread inside. i like your suggestion - however how easy is it to take it apart? also how do i take my pen cap apart? (slightly worried)

You likely don't want to take your pen apart.

Montblanc did change cap threads, IIRC from four starts to three starts. The threads on the stand must match the threads on your pen. It's likely an MB Boutique can get you the right tulip for your pen. Since the older pen works in your stand I am fairly sure that is your problem.

My Website

i think you are right. its just a different thread as the crystal stand is older. i will contact the MB Boutique in the week however if I go back to my original question - will it hurt the pen to place it in the holder but not screw it in?

i think you are right. its just a different thread as the crystal stand is older. i will contact the MB Boutique in the week however if I go back to my original question - will it hurt the pen to place it in the holder but not screw it in?

It won't directly hurt the pen but will allow it to dry out and you will run the risk of it falling out and getting hurt or of accidentally screwing up the threads on pen itself.

Best to get the right tulip.

My Website

ill try and post a pic later when I'm back home - the cap on the stand definitely has a thread in it. I've just googled images and i can see that some don't have thread inside. i like your suggestion - however how easy is it to take it apart? also how do i take my pen cap apart? (slightly worried)

1.If you shine a light into the cap you should see a flat head screw at the top, unscrew and it comes to pieces.

2.A sharp pull directly up on the base cap will release that from the base, now do as you did with the pen cap and then assemble with the combination you require.

I have mixed and matched all kinds of MB's into different types of desk pens, I have a 146 Vermeil desk pen at the side of me that was originally .... er not ! Cant quite remember what that started out as to be honest.

Actually I think I may have a 149 unthreaded desk pen cap somewhere. Will have a look and get back to you.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I haven't taken mine apart, but I think the "tulip" is actually just a cap without the clip and star top. If you look down the tulip you will see a slotted screw which allows the tulip/cap to be removed. If you can find a used cap as parts (on EB or elsewhere) that will fit the threads on your pen then it would be a relatively inexpensive fix for your problem.

Hi thanks for everyones responses. OK I've just taken my 149 and the stand to pieces - it was as you say very easy. Fascinatingly MB appear to have subtly changed the design as the cap from mine wont fit in the brass bit of the stand. There are two ridges on the side of the top bit that prevent it from fitting in. which aren't on the tulip from the base. I've actually also just convinced my friend to pop round with his - undoing his - which is as stated an older one - his tulip is exactly the same as the stand - no ridges. in fact the tulip attacks to his clip and star identically. perhaps it isn't a proper tulip perhaps its a cap? so even if i was happy to give up the cap and never cap it again only use it in the desk stand i cant as it wont fit unless i sand/file off the ridges. What i need as posters say - either 1. a tulip without thread or 2 a new cap without the ridges or one i can file off without ruining my original.

so @Pen Nut - im in cheshire so if you find it let me know - happy to purchase. else ill be watching Eb..

thanks again - for all your knowledge. learnt a lot.

Hi thanks for everyones responses. OK I've just taken my 149 and the stand to pieces - it was as you say very easy. Fascinatingly MB appear to have subtly changed the design as the cap from mine wont fit in the brass bit of the stand. There are two ridges on the side of the top bit that prevent it from fitting in. which aren't on the tulip from the base. I've actually also just convinced my friend to pop round with his - undoing his - which is as stated an older one - his tulip is exactly the same as the stand - no ridges. in fact the tulip attacks to his clip and star identically. perhaps it isn't a proper tulip perhaps its a cap? so even if i was happy to give up the cap and never cap it again only use it in the desk stand i cant as it wont fit unless i sand/file off the ridges. What i need as posters say - either 1. a tulip without thread or 2 a new cap without the ridges or one i can file off without ruining my original.

so @Pen Nut - im in cheshire so if you find it let me know - happy to purchase. else ill be watching Eb..

thanks again - for all your knowledge. learnt a lot.

eBay is an unlikely source since few sellers will know what the actual threading of a Tulip is. In addition, MB has change the shape of the end of the section several times over the years. The best choice is still getting the right tulip.

My Website

I had the same problem with a stand for the 146 MB. The threads did not match. I tried some of my other 146 MB pens and some matched the thread of the stand, some not. Since I bought it on eBay the seller was very helpful to change the tulip to the matching thread of my pen. Recently MB changed to threadless tulips to avoid confusion.

Ubi bene ibi patria.