Dr. Ph. Martin's Ocean "edge Blue"

DrDebG

I have been using this ink now for several weeks, due to the kindness of strangers Mistress Amber.

I will be penning a longer write up soon, but I found two essential points -

1. Make sure the nib has a gap, however minute, all the way to the end of the tines, otherwise the ink will clog up in the nib.
  2. Make sure the inner cap in the cap perfectly, 100% anna a bit more, seals the nib off when the pen is capped, otherwise, again, it dries up in the nib.

I am currently using Edge Blue in a Pilot Prera as a EDC pen, and it is delightful. I know that anything I have to sign is permanently permanent, and I don't have to worry about the paper I'm writing on.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• DrDebG

• thudthwacker

• Barkingpig

Great advice, David, thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review :)

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

I filled my Lamy Safari (1.1mm stub nib) with Ocean Edge Blue yesterday, and so far, it's been really great. No hard starts, the flow is good, and I like the color a lot. And at $5, it's hard to beat the price. Unless the behavior takes a real nosedive, I think I've found my envelope-addressin', form-signin', water-resistin' ink. Heck, currently, I can see using this ink regularly just because I like the color and behavior. (Though I should hold off on filling everything under the sun with it until after I've actually cleaned it out of my Safari.)

Edited by thudthwacker

Any 'staining' is actually an accumulation of pigment particles. It can be manually wiped off with a damp tissue, if you can get it to where the stain is.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Any 'staining' is actually an accumulation of pigment particles. It can be manually wiped off with a damp tissue, if you can get it to where the stain is.

That's good to know, thank you. I just saw the stain in the converter and it scared me off using it in other pens.

If you can find the cleaner that the company made for this ink, you will be thrilled.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

If you can find the cleaner that the company made for this ink, you will be thrilled.

The only Dr. Ph. Martin pen cleaner I can find is one that says it's for use with their India inks, to clean dip pens, brushes, and airbrushes. Is that safe for the delicate and beloved innards of my fountain pens? Or do they have another product that I'm just not finding?

The only Dr. Ph. Martin pen cleaner I can find is one that says it's for use with their India inks, to clean dip pens, brushes, and airbrushes. Is that safe for the delicate and beloved innards of my fountain pens? Or do they have another product that I'm just not finding?

I am happy to know I am not the only person who searched the Martin website only to find same!

I wondered about the Rohrer & Klingner cleaner, introduced I think maybe last year? I bought a bottle after I bought their Documentis ink. The instructions on the bottle say: "fill, wait 5 minutes & rinse," and has no listed ingredients. I may have just bought a fancy bottle of pen flush, but it will surely be no more foolish than many other purchases. I filled a Kaweco Sport with the Documentis ink & because of it's capacity (filled eyedropper) I have not had any reason to refill or hence clean it; it has written every time I uncapped it & has been filled for several months.

OH, I don't know. I was given some to test. I will ask them.

The cleaner is Bombay pen cleaner. It does not specifically say Fountain pens, but it doesn't specifically mention any types of pens. The description is pretty multi purpose and it claims to be non toxic and safe for metal pen parts.

Z.

Thanks, Z. It's great stuff.

The cleaner is Bombay pen cleaner. It does not specifically say Fountain pens, but it doesn't specifically mention any types of pens. The description is pretty multi purpose and it claims to be non toxic and safe for metal pen parts.

Z.

Excellent! On the site, it notes: "Safely clean brushes, airbrushes, dip pens, and ruling pens." And while I don't know much about airbrushes, I know that you can clean dip pens and brushes with stuff you likely wouldn't want in your fountain pen. If it's safe for fountain pens and does the bang-up job @amberleadavis describes, I'm on board. (Assuming the bottle of Goulet Flush I already have isn't equal to the task.)

Many thanks.

I had never heard of this before and am grateful to your excellent review for bringing it to my attention. Like other enthusiasts I enjoy the detail!

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

I impulse bought this because of this thread when I saw it was only $5 on Amazon. I've had it in an ebonite ranga since August 16th (so that's five weeks) and it hasn't dried out or hard started, so as long as the pen's seal is good it's definitely fine. The shading is excellent, a very good value if you can get the Amazon price.

I have no desire for a pure red ink, so it's a shame Amazon doesn't also stock the black. Actually... I only see the red now, not the blue. Did this thread sell them out...? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! On the site, it notes: "Safely clean brushes, airbrushes, dip pens, and ruling pens." And while I don't know much about airbrushes, I know that you can clean dip pens and brushes with stuff you likely wouldn't want in your fountain pen. If it's safe for fountain pens and does the bang-up job @amberleadavis describes, I'm on board. (Assuming the bottle of Goulet Flush I already have isn't equal to the task.)

Many thanks.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_171.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_171.jpg

Ooh, neat. I may have to go pick up a bottle, then -- many thanks!