Using A Converter With Montblanc Traveler 147

dadbar

I received a Montblanc 147 Le Grand Traveler back in the 1990's as a gift and I really haven't used it much because it's a little too much pen for me.....I have smaller hands and prefer thinner pens. The 147 is a bit bulky, but I do enjoy occasionally taking it to work for ceremonial client meetings and for document signing sessions etc.

The issue I have is that it takes a long time for me to go through an entire ink cartridge and it sometimes dries out before I make it through an entire cartridge, so I now use my pen with a converter so I can put just enough ink in the pen.

The Monteverde miniconverter fits very well once you include a spacer to take up about 5mm of space between the end of the converter and the retaining ferrule of the cartridge holder. I made my spacer from a piece of rigid insulation from a 12 gauge electrical connector (you can find these in any auto parts or hardware store.). The spacer has a slightly larger outer diameter than the inner diameter of the Montblanc holder so it snaps into place and stays there. So I fill the converter with just enough ink to last for a few days.

There may be others who have the same predicament with this pen- the use of a converter in the 147 makes it a much more versatile pen for a lot of uses.

post-126538-0-03415600-1462562759_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadbar

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• omarcenaro

• CS388

• bunnspecial

• Andrew_L

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Super. Back when I was offered a 147R for a great price this info would've been handy! I wonder if so,etching similar can be done with the Newson M FP. Thanks

Nice fix. Makes the pen workable for you, without damaging the original parts. Well done.

And I thought it couldn't be done!!!

This is pure genius.

Edited by meiers

• 2 years later...

dadbar,

can you send me a link to the type of rigid insulation you used for your spacer? I'm having a hard time making mine work.

cheers!

• 10 months later...

I know this is old but I will answer so if someone else searches they will have a complete answer.

I did this modification on my 147 as well. Works perfectly. The connector he is referring to are called Butt Connectors. Their size are related to their color. The Yellow one is the correct diameter for the pen. Once I cutout the top and trimmed to make a perfect fit. I painted mine with gold paint so it would blend in better.

Butt Connector= https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-assortment-butt-connectors-85480/6300499-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=6300499-P&adtype=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj4GS-5nb4QIVlYKzCh2HrAP8EAQYASABEgK6-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dspost-141133-0-27160900-1555644746.jpegpost-141133-0-80960300-1555644763.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Edited by omarcenaro

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

My 147 with the yellow clip painted gold.

post-141133-0-34699400-1555821567_thumb.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

• 5 months later...

This is a classic thread, so your update won't grow old.

i have a couple questions about how you get this fix to work properly:

1. How do you prime the nib to get the ink available to write?

2. Since you can't refill the converter while it is in the pen, you must fill the cartridge directly from the ink bottle and then insert it. Do you have a leakage problem when you insert the converter into the cartridge carrier?

3. Last: If you didn't already have the MB 147 and were starting from scratch, would you buy a MB 147 (say around $250 used) and make the fix, or would you buy a Sailor Custom 743 with a Con70 converter ($220 directly from Japan)?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

2. Since you can't refill the converter while it is in the pen, you must fill the cartridge directly from the ink bottle and then insert it. Do you have a leakage problem when you insert the converter into the cartridge carrier?

3. Last: If you didn't already have the MB 147 and were starting from scratch, would you buy a MB 147 (say around $250 used) and make the fix, or would you buy a Sailor Custom 743 with a Con70 converter ($220 directly from Japan)?

Thank you!

I am so sorry I just now saw your post. So to answer your questions, what I do in order to have the most ink is to syringe fill the converter, then screw into the section and dip the nib into the ink bottle to wet the feed. I clean off nib and section and screw on cap. Works like a charm.

I would certainly buy it again, especially if I could get it for $250. It's a great size pen and fantastic writer. The Pilot 743 Custom or Sailor, are great pens but I am not a fan of proprietary converters or cartridges.

Regards,Ozzy

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

When I fill mine, I assemble the converter in the carrier and dip the carrier assembly into the inkwell. The black plunger has grooves that are easy to pull up with your fingernail. I then wipe off the end of the carrier and insert it into the pen.

As the carrier was technically not made to be dipped I would be concerned with it affecting the plating as some of the ink would still be on the inside of the carrier, underneath the convertor after dipping. The pics in here show it could affect plating https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/345860-corroded-cartridge-carrier-in-147/?hl=%2B147+%2Btray&do=findComment&comment=4200041 and depending on chemistry of the ink its dipped.

What I did before I got the syringe was just draw the ink from the bottle into the converter (wipe off) and then snap in place into the carrier. Just do not push on the plunger. There is plenty of room with the plunger fully extended to snap in, just hold it by the body only. I then would still dip the nib into the bottle. That way you wet the feed and nib.

Ultimately, whatever works is good.

Traveler? KISS method works for me. 146 (or any other pen of your choosing) and a 30ml nalgene of ink. Less faff more ink no worries.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 1 year later...

Sorry - I'm reviving this thread because I just got a 147R.  If I don't use the spacer, what happens?  The converter just slide up in the holster and won't connect with the base of the feed?

I think I'm going to try making this out of some small bit of insulated Styrofoam I have lying around.

Hello

Why not just fill an old cartridge with a syringe, with the required amount of ink and colour?

No need get any additional parts, just use the existing prescribed items.

As Karmachanic said....... KISS

Inked

18 hours ago, saskia_madding said:

Sorry - I'm reviving this thread because I just got a 147R.  If I don't use the spacer, what happens?  The converter just slide up in the holster and won't connect with the base of the feed?

I think I'm going to try making this out of some small bit of insulated Styrofoam I have lying around.

I would think so.

It would depend on the the length of the converter you are using, though. A longer bodied example may already meet the protrusions on the carrier, which could hold it in place?

Styrofoam? I'd worry that it may be compressed by the force of insertion?

Of course, it may have changed since I last saw it - I'm thinking of the stuff they made (take-away) cups from? 

Good luck.

And congratulations on the 147R, what a beauty!

I have a 147, and I still have to admit that the mini-converter idea really doesn't appeal to me.

You still have to remove the cartridge sled fill outside the bottle, except now you have to either work a piston in the narrow space in the sled or fill it out of the sled and work it back in.

My typical usage is to syringe fill an empty that's my primary cartridge, and still store a second one in the top part of the sled "just in case."

(my 147 had an unfortunate washing machine incident a few weeks ago, and I need to send it off to have the nib repaired).

• 3 weeks later...

The idea itself seems utopian to me because the standard cartridge is much smaller than the tank volume of the 146 piston-filler model, so why reduce it even further with a mini converter?. But for the sake of interest, I also decided to experiment on this topic:)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Detailed review: http://lenskiy.org/2018/08/montblanc-legrand-meisterstuck-147-traveler/

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

• 2 weeks later...

I like your invention. Has a much cleaner look.

The gold plating certainly wears off of the bottom of the sleigh holder even if you only use cartridges.