Pilot Prera Fp Review

dauodwa

I've had a Pilot Prera for about six months. It was the second pen I bought after my Metropolitan. Both of these are Fine nibs. I've never had any problem with mine, it's my EDC and I would feel lost without this great little pen riding in my shirt pocket. It is the slate gray and I have put all kinds of inks and colors through it and never once have I had a problem with it skipping or drying out. When I first got it, it felt so light and insubstantial that I had to learn to write with it. I post my pens if at all possible and this pen feels much better posted, though if I have to jot a quick note, it can be done quite well with the pen unposted. I haven't tried to swap any of my other pilot nibs onto this pen, they work best where they are. I can only say good things about Pilot pens in general and the Prera in particular. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, EDC, that looks good, feels good and writes great, I would recommend that you pick up a Prera before they jack up the price. I might even get another one. I originally had a Metro in Fine point and then got one in Medium. I might do the same for a second Prera, go to a medium. Great pens, did I mention that?

I had a sim8lar with the Prera but ot quickly made it into my EDC once I learnt to love the weight or lacl thereof.

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dauodwa

• Fabienne

• Gofixmix

• Frank66

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it were just a bit larger, it would be the best intro fountain pen on the market. Flawless Pilot writing quality, excellent snap cap mechanism, no sharp edges, no weird grip section, easy to use C/C filling system. It's just too small. If Pilot made one the size of the Custom 74, able to take the CON-70 converter and kept the price under 60 USD, they would be printing money.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

If it were just a bit larger, it would be the best intro fountain pen on the market. Flawless Pilot writing quality, excellent snap cap mechanism, no sharp edges, no weird grip section, easy to use C/C filling system. It's just too small. If Pilot made one the size of the Custom 74, able to take the CON-70 converter and kept the price under 60 USD, they would be printing money.

I agree. I would certianly purchase such a pen.

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

If they would put a clear section into the cap, instead of white, it would help too. I have 2 of these pens, and love them.

I guess I'll be the exception here. I recently purchased a Prera in a fine. I have the clear / blue - the advantage being that it came with the converter.

I rotate 3 pens in my EDC - and this has been in my EDC case for a few months.

I find the nib to be just OK. (on the scratchy side - but that I see that as a personal preference rather than a criticism.)

The flow is consistent after washing the nib and feed - but that was not the case out of the box. Mine feels like a dry writer - but in fairness I have not experimented with too many inks.

In the price range - I'd take the Lamy Safari and TWSBIs over this one.

• 1 month later...

I have four Preras - 2 fine and 2 medium. The nibs are interchangeable with the Metropolitan. I have actually swapped them out. However, the nibs on my Preras have a slightly different marking than those on the Metros, and the Prera nibs seem to be a bit smoother.

I find the medium Prera is a perfect EDC and I keep one inked by my computer for making notes. I use the fines for really wet inks that have to be more controlled in their flow (e.g., Noodler's Bad Green Gator and any of the DeAtramentis Document inks).

I'll probably buy another one soon just because they are so easy to carry with the very nice snap cap that stays on, but is easy to remove and snap back on.

I like everything about the Metropolitan except for the large size change at the section -- makes it uncomfortable for extended writing.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

I have two Preras, both fine nibs. One of them was always a tiny bit scratchier/drier than the other - not to the point of being annoying, but there was a noticeable difference. For some reason I've never used them regularly for my longer writing sessions, but they've always been the ones I always want for editing and marking. I'm no longer doing as much of that as I used to, so I switched the nib and feed from my Plumix into one; it's very comfortable for italic - or what passes for italic when I write it. :)

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I guess I'll be the exception here. I recently purchased a Prera in a fine. I have the clear / blue - the advantage being that it came with the converter.

I rotate 3 pens in my EDC - and this has been in my EDC case for a few months.

I find the nib to be just OK. (on the scratchy side - but that I see that as a personal preference rather than a criticism.)

The flow is consistent after washing the nib and feed - but that was not the case out of the box. Mine feels like a dry writer - but in fairness I have not experimented with too many inks.

In the price range - I'd take the Lamy Safari and TWSBIs over this one.

I think it's not a question of either or but both/all! I have purchased a Twsbi Vac 700 recently and love it, so I'll probably buy another Twsbi next. As my collection has expanded, I rarely use the Prera anymore, but love using it when I do. I've got it loaded with Platinum Pigment Rose Red, and use it when I want to write notes for myself that I want to be waterproof.

I think I would like another Prera or two in future because as others have said, they are a great EDC, great snap cap, never dries out, and is great to use.

My only gripe with Pilot is that they don't sell the nibs separately and you have to instead buy another pen from them with a compatible nib. With their $10 pens it's understandable why they wouldn't sell nibs, but the Prera retails for around the $60 AUD mark in Australia so imho they've no excuse not to make nibs available. It's frustrating that if something happens to the nib I have to buy another pen, and with the prices of the pens with compatible nibs in Australia, I would be better off just buying another Prera but probably wouldn't do so and instead would invest in a Twsbi or something.

Anyway that's my rant for the day.

I think you either get the non scratchy nib or the scratchy nib. I am being a snob here, where my favorite pens are smooth with a good deal of road feel to give you. TWSBI, Montblanc, Pilot Petit are my 3 killer pens. Love them. The Prerea is going up for sale one fine day. Also a Pilot Ivory white is going on the block about the same time. Just do not love. Could be me, you know.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg