Pilot Prera Fp Review

dauodwa

http://i.imgur.com/59nIMiB.jpg?1

Dear all,

This is a review of my newly acquired Pilot Prera. I should note that the paper being used is just standard Reflex A4 copy paper. All in all I'm pleased with this pen and glad to get back into the FP game.

I've got some Jinhao's on order, namely an x450, x750, and two 159's, but I just couldn't wait for them to arrive before picking up and writing with a fountain pen again (I would have been waiting a fortnight!). I'm happy with it and I think this will become my main writer and part of my EDC.

Also I really like the cap, has a nice vacuum like feel to it when you close the pen. Below is a comparison in size with my Louis Codan pen, which I would consider quite long when posted. By the way, the Louis Codan cost a lot less, came with a nicer box, and is metal instead of plastic but oh well.

http://i.imgur.com/BFSeULt.jpg?1

Does anyone else have thoughts and experiences on this pen? Would be glad to hear them!

Cheers!

post-129720-0-40128400-1462353524_thumb.jpg

Edited by dauodwa

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dauodwa

• Fabienne

• Gofixmix

• Frank66

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review - thank you. You made a good choice with your pen.

I love the Prera. It is a much under-appreciated pen. It feels really well made and balanced, and writes beautifully. I always had one or two in my bag when I was at work. They stood up to a lot of rough and tumble. My preference was the medium nib.

I ended up with a little collection of them.....

fpn_1462355922__image.jpg

Verba volant, scripta manent

That's quite the collection! I wish they had the opaque ones at the store I bought them from but then again the clear ones look pretty cool. I can see myself getting a few more of them in different colours and with different inks loaded in them as I think this is such a great pen, particilarly for extended use.

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

Nice review and what a collection.

I love my Prera. Best EDC, small, cheap, never fails, writes on cheap paper..

The cap snap is fantastic, I only wish the cap was all clear. Converted mine to eyedropper, no burping whatsoever.

post-129157-0-67639100-1462366206_thumb.jpg

Dauodwa, thanks for your review.

I always wanted to get a Prera, but somehow I never managed to, but after reading your review, I think I am getting closer. I already have sweet eyes for the slate blue and the ivory Prera in F nib, plus the neon green or yellow looks amazing too. With the Preras you can insert F and M nibs from the Pilot Metropolitan as well as the Pilot Plumix Italics nibs.

I have 2 Pilot Lucinas, one in M and one in F, I like the Pilot F nib better, however their screw-type caps make them cumbersome for EDC pens. Most importantly, my Pilots never dry out even if left unused for months. My guess is that you are going to love the Preras better than the Jinhaos. Well Time will tell,

Thanks for your review.

Photios

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

I like the Prera, and the F nib is glorious. As many others, however, I really wish there were an identical model available in a more reasonable length.

The other thing is that the USA street price is quite too high, but if you can buy elsewhere it is worth it at 30-35$.

You can get one shipped from j-subculture.com for 25 US dollars.

The length isn't an issue for me, and I never post pens, even though my hands aren't small. Perhaps it's more of a problem for people who hold their pens higher up or move their fingers while writing.

Anyway, a great pen with an elegant, understated, modern look. I use mine to take notes at work: the snap cap's very handy and, as you note, dauodwa, has a nice vacuum feel to it.

I have an opaque Prera that looks chartreuse with a fine nib. It's the only Pilot I liked. If I had fewer pens I might use the Prera more.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'll have to invest in an F nib having read everyone's posts! I'm glad there are some Prera fans out there and thanks so much for adding your thoughts and experiences all. Hopefully a few more will start looking at this excellent pen.

I've had a Pilot Prera for about six months. It was the second pen I bought after my Metropolitan. Both of these are Fine nibs. I've never had any problem with mine, it's my EDC and I would feel lost without this great little pen riding in my shirt pocket. It is the slate gray and I have put all kinds of inks and colors through it and never once have I had a problem with it skipping or drying out. When I first got it, it felt so light and insubstantial that I had to learn to write with it. I post my pens if at all possible and this pen feels much better posted, though if I have to jot a quick note, it can be done quite well with the pen unposted. I haven't tried to swap any of my other pilot nibs onto this pen, they work best where they are. I can only say good things about Pilot pens in general and the Prera in particular. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, EDC, that looks good, feels good and writes great, I would recommend that you pick up a Prera before they jack up the price. I might even get another one. I originally had a Metro in Fine point and then got one in Medium. I might do the same for a second Prera, go to a medium. Great pens, did I mention that?

I've had a Pilot Prera for about six months. It was the second pen I bought after my Metropolitan. Both of these are Fine nibs. I've never had any problem with mine, it's my EDC and I would feel lost without this great little pen riding in my shirt pocket. It is the slate gray and I have put all kinds of inks and colors through it and never once have I had a problem with it skipping or drying out. When I first got it, it felt so light and insubstantial that I had to learn to write with it. I post my pens if at all possible and this pen feels much better posted, though if I have to jot a quick note, it can be done quite well with the pen unposted. I haven't tried to swap any of my other pilot nibs onto this pen, they work best where they are. I can only say good things about Pilot pens in general and the Prera in particular. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive, EDC, that looks good, feels good and writes great, I would recommend that you pick up a Prera before they jack up the price. I might even get another one. I originally had a Metro in Fine point and then got one in Medium. I might do the same for a second Prera, go to a medium. Great pens, did I mention that?

Actually I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Pilot Metropolitan. I'm thinking of adding that to my collection next. How do you find it in comparison to the Prera? Also am I correct in thinking that the Metropolitan comes with a bladder refill mechanism? If you use that, what are it's advantages/disadvantages in comparison to a converter?

Dauodwa, thanks for your review.

I always wanted to get a Prera, but somehow I never managed to, but after reading your review, I think I am getting closer. I already have sweet eyes for the slate blue and the ivory Prera in F nib, plus the neon green or yellow looks amazing too. With the Preras you can insert F and M nibs from the Pilot Metropolitan as well as the Pilot Plumix Italics nibs.

I have 2 Pilot Lucinas, one in M and one in F, I like the Pilot F nib better, however their screw-type caps make them cumbersome for EDC pens. Most importantly, my Pilots never dry out even if left unused for months. My guess is that you are going to love the Preras better than the Jinhaos. Well Time will tell,

Thanks for your review.

Photios

This is really weird. I got a Jinhao free with some ink I purchased from Robert Oster. Didn't clean the Prera. Didn't clean the Jinhao. Jinhao - no problems. Prera - was writing inconsistently, sometimes wet and sometimes dry. Cleaned the Prera and problem solved. Guess that just goes to show its a good idea to initially clean your FP properly no matter what brand you buy just in case.

Edited by dauodwa

Nice review and what a collection.

I love my Prera. Best EDC, small, cheap, never fails, writes on cheap paper..

The cap snap is fantastic, I only wish the cap was all clear. Converted mine to eyedropper, no burping whatsoever.

I'm keen to try this eventually, maybe with my next Prera. If it works out well then I'll get a few more so that I can carry four inks at a time. I'm a bit concerned with the potential for leaks. I ride a motorbike and my pens are just stored in my bag so I wonder if they would be prone to leak with the jostling of the bike. Have you ever had a leak with yours? Oh and also what size o-ring did you use for the Prera?

Edited by dauodwa

Actually I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Pilot Metropolitan. I'm thinking of adding that to my collection next. How do you find it in comparison to the Prera? Also am I correct in thinking that the Metropolitan comes with a bladder refill mechanism? If you use that, what are it's advantages/disadvantages in comparison to a converter?

I don't have a Prera, but have 2 Metropolitans (one Medium, one Fine). For the price, they're really nice pens - relatively lightweight and comfortable to write with (unless the step between the barrel and grip section interferes with your grip). The refill mechanism is in fact a bladder-style cartridge converter, which can be substituted for a cartridge or a Con-50 converter if you wish. I'm not a great fan of the bladder, if only because I can't see how much ink is left in it - but it comes free with the pen, so who's complaining?

The other thing I like about these pens (the Metropolitan, and the Prera too I think) is the interchangeability of their nibs: I bought to Plumixes (the squid-shaped pens) really cheaply, and swapped their cursive italic nibs into my Metros.

I'm keen to try this eventually, maybe with my next Prera. If it works out well then I'll get a few more so that I can carry four inks at a time. I'm a bit concerned with the potential for leaks. I ride a motorbike and my pens are just stored in my bag so I wonder if they would be prone to leak with the jostling of the bike. Have you ever had a leak with yours? Oh and also what size o-ring did you use for the Prera?

I was carrying it for about a month with me everyday in the shoulder bag, so it got it's share of bouncing, don't know how that compares to motorbike though.

You can see on the photo there's some signs of droplets of ink in the inner cap, so that's about it, I never cleaned that cap. There was never any ink on the section coming from the cap and definitely not from the barrel.

I didn't use any o-ring at at, it didn't seem necessary, because the threads are so tight. Just silicone grease.

I don't have a Prera, but have 2 Metropolitans (one Medium, one Fine). For the price, they're really nice pens - relatively lightweight and comfortable to write with (unless the step between the barrel and grip section interferes with your grip). The refill mechanism is in fact a bladder-style cartridge converter, which can be substituted for a cartridge or a Con-50 converter if you wish. I'm not a great fan of the bladder, if only because I can't see how much ink is left in it - but it comes free with the pen, so who's complaining?

The other thing I like about these pens (the Metropolitan, and the Prera too I think) is the interchangeability of their nibs: I bought to Plumixes (the squid-shaped pens) really cheaply, and swapped their cursive italic nibs into my Metros.

I didn't realise they were interchangeable! I haven't had any luck with finding just a nib for them so I might just do as you have.

I was carrying it for about a month with me everyday in the shoulder bag, so it got it's share of bouncing, don't know how that compares to motorbike though.

You can see on the photo there's some signs of droplets of ink in the inner cap, so that's about it, I never cleaned that cap. There was never any ink on the section coming from the cap and definitely not from the barrel.

I didn't use any o-ring at at, it didn't seem necessary, because the threads are so tight. Just silicone grease.

Thank you so much for this information. I think I might try it with an oring and from whay you've described that should ensure no leaks at all. Ive noticed that most pens will drip some ink from the feeder hole if shaken forecefully so maybe that was where the ink in your cap came from. I'll show you the photos when I get around to converting this. I really like the way yours lookss as an eyedropper btw.

I have one and I like it but I don't love it. It's smaller than a TWSBI and even though I am a small handed person, it just feels cramped (I don't post pens). It's also pretty hard to clean. I have not been able to get the nib and feed out of the grip yet to properly clean the pen after filling with high staining ink so mine might be finding a new home.

Unimpressed with the nib, which is a surprise for a Pilot. Not smooth and not a real scratchy.

Anything I like? Modern look demonstrator, feels well made in your hand.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I have one and I like it but I don't love it. It's smaller than a TWSBI and even though I am a small handed person, it just feels cramped (I don't post pens). It's also pretty hard to clean. I have not been able to get the nib and feed out of the grip yet to properly clean the pen after filling with high staining ink so mine might be finding a new home.

Unimpressed with the nib, which is a surprise for a Pilot. Not smooth and not a real scratchy.

Anything I like? Modern look demonstrator, feels well made in your hand.

That's surprising. I haven't had any trouble with removing the nib and feed and find the opposite, as in this pen cleans very easily just with water. The only place its harder to remove staining is on the bottom of the section where the nib and feed attach, just around the edges, so I use a small amount of detergent in water for that. Also I find this pen writes very smoothly with the inks I've tried, namely Parker Quink and Robert Oster Signature. The only thing is I find the M nib a but fine for my liking, but it writes well with the inks I mentioned and is balanced in terms of wetness. It's wet enough to be comfortable but without meaning I meed to wait forever before I turn the page, which is a real plus for Uni.

I wish you better luck with your next pen! However I'm curious what ink you have been using in it and how often you have been cleaning it, so that I may gain the benefit of your experience.

Cheers!

Edited by dauodwa