Is It Really Worth Putting A Goulet Nib On A Jinhao?

dauodwa

Dear all,

I've recently purchased some Jinhao pens to get back into fountain pens. I've purchased some spare Jinhao nibs in case I damage any and some Duke converters as well.

What I'm really wondering is whether the increased performance of a Goulet nib is really worth it on a Jinhao, as a single nib would cost me six times the cost of the pen itself.

I'd really value your thoughts on this, and also if you could suggest an alternative nib upgrade which won't break the bank.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm aware of the $2 Noodler's, but from what I've read so far they would be a downgrade over the standard Jinhao. Thoughts & experiences with those?

http://www.argonpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Samurai-Ronin-l-300x150.jpg

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dauodwa

• pajaro

• Bluey

• Humanities

Top Posters In This Topic

A Goulet nib doesn't offer any increased performance. The quality of the Jinhao stock nib is decent and very smooth, but they are usually only available in medium. They put out a line which is often too broad and wet for many people, and this leads people to go the route of a Goulet F/EF or stub(when they're feeling adventurous). The Goulet nib just gives more options that's all.

If you prefer a medium that errs on the side of broad then you will be happy with it.

Edited by Bluey

I'm wondering how the Jinhao/Goulet combo compares with pens such as the Pilot Metro, the TWSBI eco, the similarly priced Lamy ? Any thoughts?

I think the Jinhao is a good looking pen, at least as far as the online photo is concerned! I've been tempted to try the combo you mention above, but then ask myself, how about a bottle of Pilot ink instead!

Thanks Bluey, I'll have to wait until I write with it and see if I would prefer an F/EF nib in which case it's looking like Goulet is the best option.

"Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind ... Then the Great Way is right before one's eyes."

I've tried the Noodler's nib in various pens and they work very well. But the stock nibs on the Jinhao are very nice, too and in fact I've put several of those on other pens - usually Indian EDs with ebonite feeds that can be heat set to get good flow, if necessary.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I don't know that I would plan to swap out the Jinhao nibs before trying them. In my limited experience Jinhao pens can have a variety of quality-control problems, but the nibs have not been among them. With proper flushing before first use and with a bit of adjusting when necessary, I've found their nibs to be among the smoothest in the business, and quite reliable. In particular, Jinhao doesn't seem to have the preference for a bit of baby-bottom that European nib makers seem to have at the moment. Add to that my prejudice that it is never a good idea to pull the nib and feed from a pen unless there is a very serious problem, and I just don't see the need for nib-swapping. If you want a different width than Jinhao offers, it might be better to look for a different pen.

ron

My wife gave me a green Jinhao pen. It had a medium, which I found too wet and broad. I replaced it with a Goulet fine nib. The purpose was to make the pen write a finer line. That's a good enough reason to replace the nib. I kept the original, because you never know when you will want it. These are decent pens, but they are not expensive. There's always the possibility of stubbing the medium nib into a fine stub. I thought projects like this were ridiculous until I happened on a Parker 45 with a medium nib stubbed to a fine. It is the best Parker 45 I have had. The Jinhao is better, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If the Jinhao nib is satisfactory, why replace it ? If it is not, why did you buy so many ?

Use your Jinhao fountain pens. They are good value. If you think a replacement nib will help, install one, and see. 99% of my nibs are fine. I am not so discerning. Maybe you are similarly blessed.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Why replace the medium Jinhao nib that's too much with a Goulet fine I like? You think it's good to suffer perhaps, or to just sideline the Jinhao. No need to change the nib and use the Jinhao, when I can let my wife think I don't like what she gave me? Or I can use it with the medium as a penance. Perhaps everybody else will forgo replacement of nibs that aren't optimal for them and nib work as well.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I believe that Goulet nibs are made by JoWo in Germany or at least, they were. I ordered one simply because All of my Jinhaos have medium nibs and I prefer a fine or extra-fine. I doubt that a company in Germany making quality nibs is ever going to be able to compete price-wise with a company in China mega-mass producing nibs. That said, every Jinhao nib I have is a decent writer but a bit wide for my taste.

The Goulet (fine) nib is now in a Jinhao 159 and it's likely going to stay there. I only paid about three or four dollars for the pen and maybe sixteen for the nib. So, for twenty bucks I have a great pen that fits my hand and writes like a dream.

I did buy ten Jinhao nibs for about 99 cents, thinking I'd use them to practice nib grinding. One day, I may get around to it. (Does anyone actually have a round tuit?)

Edited by Piper 987

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

I've had the same experience with my Jinhao x450s and x750s as some others here: I generally (used to) prefer EF and/or F nibs, rather than Mediums - and the nibs on these pens tended to be to broad.

My tastes have changed somewhat over time, and I now enjoy using broader nibs (and stub nibs) for 'leisure-time' writing. For business purposes, though - and especially on poorer quality paper - I still find myself defaulting to F or EF nibs, and at this point my Jinhao #6 nibs aren't much use. So I buy a more expensive pen... or upgrade with a $15 nib.

If the Jinhao nib is satisfactory, why replace it ? If it is not, why did you buy so many ?

Use your Jinhao fountain pens. They are good value. If you think a replacement nib will help, install one, and see. 99% of my nibs are fine. I am not so discerning. Maybe you are similarly blessed.

Mainly I bought so many because they are cheap and parts are standard sized so I know I can replace them worst case scenario.

I'm actually hoping that the stocky works well for my purposes, but of it's too wet and causes bleeding on the paper I'm using then I will get some F replacements, now that others have confirmed that actually it is worth doing if only for personal preference.

Ron, I couldn't wait for the Jinhao's so I bought a Pilot Prera from a brick and mortar store to get started again with FPs. It has an M nib but it's more on the fine side. I felt it was a bit risky as it might raise my expectations for the Jinhao's but from all accounts, now that I see a few here as well, they are good writers so long as you do an initial flush/cleaning.

I've had the same experience with my Jinhao x450s and x750s as some others here: I generally (used to) prefer EF and/or F nibs, rather than Mediums - and the nibs on these pens tended to be to broad.

My tastes have changed somewhat over time, and I now enjoy using broader nibs (and stub nibs) for 'leisure-time' writing. For business purposes, though - and especially on poorer quality paper - I still find myself defaulting to F or EF nibs, and at this point my Jinhao #6 nibs aren't much use. So I buy a more expensive pen... or upgrade with a $15 nib.

I've been through the same change in preferance before. It's so easy to be fickle with these things!

I'm wondering how the Jinhao/Goulet combo compares with pens such as the Pilot Metro, the TWSBI eco, the similarly priced Lamy ? Any thoughts?

Well I have got a Pilot Prera so I'll let you know how the Jinhao's compare. Having said that the Pilot cost about 20 times as much. Nonetheless, I'll let you know, and I reviewed the Prera here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307939-pilot-prera-fp-review/

Just an update, I received a free Jinhao Safari clone today which came with a F nib. The Jinhao F is close to a Pilot M nib, but the Pilot is on the fine side too. Considering this, I think the M Jinhao will probably suit my needs just fine as it's likely to be only slightly broader than the Pilot M, but I'm still keen to eventually get some F nibs for them from Goulet or other brands.

I'll post a comparison of all three nibs that I have bought so far when they arrive. Here's the Jinhao Safari clone with F nib review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307966-jinhao-safari-clone-review/

Edited by dauodwa