Which Nib For Line Variation?

bbs

I'm planning to get a Rouge et Noir black, but would like a nib with stubbish properties. I've got a B nib Wilde which has got wonderful line variation and is just lovely, but generally I don't like my nibs to be too broad. Do you think my best chance of getting what I want lies in an OM, B or OB?

I realise every nib is hand finished so nothing can be guaranteed!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• penparadise

• Tom Kellie

• jar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On different brands of pen I have example nibs:

On a Pelikan M800 Tortoiseshell I had John Mottishaw regrind a Medium to a stub. No example for you but it is a great nib for line variation.

I've other nibs that do wonders on the line variation. On a FPN LE a 1.2mm stub and a smaller stub on the reverse side a 0.6mm that is so smooth, both by Wim.

One more example is a Visconti H S Bronze Age ( by Mottishaw ) 1.3mm stub. Love it, too.

My point being there are any number of nib sizes that will get you the line variation you want without going to an Oblique or BB if you want.

Love your Avatar, I have one that looks a lot like it 😊. He is a big ole boy at 17 hands.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

~ @Tasmith

Thank you for posting the handwriting sample.

Lovely line variation in Permanent Blue Ink, which I like, too.

Your nib is choice!

Tom K.

I had my 146 fine (wrote like a medium) nib ground to a .56mm cursive italic by Linda Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance. Absolutely love the line variation I get!

attachicon.gifMBNIBBeforeandAfterWEB.jpg

+1 to your Solomon Short quote.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm planning to get a Rouge et Noir black, but would like a nib with stubbish properties. I've got a B nib Wilde which has got wonderful line variation and is just lovely, but generally I don't like my nibs to be too broad. Do you think my best chance of getting what I want lies in an OM, B or OB?

I realise every nib is hand finished so nothing can be guaranteed!

I don't understand your question. You already answered it by yourself.

If you like a stubbish nib which suits your handwriting you have to go to a Montblanc shop or boutique and try, try and try.

And after you have tried do not buy a pen out of a box but buy exactly that pen with that nib you have tried and found most suitable for your handwriting.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

If you don't like too broad nibs you'll probably have to go with a custom grind by a third party perhaps a pendleton brown BLS or indy-pen-dance dailyitalic

I had my 146 fine (wrote like a medium) nib ground to a .56mm cursive italic by Linda Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance. Absolutely love the line variation I get!

:thumbup: Which ink, please?

Fred

I don't understand your question. You already answered it by yourself.

If you like a stubbish nib which suits your handwriting you have to go to a Montblanc shop or boutique and try, try and try.

And after you have tried do not buy a pen out of a box but buy exactly that pen with that nib you have tried and found most suitable for your handwriting.

I'm sure you're aware that boutiques are stocking only medium and fine nibs in this model. So no chance to try, try and try, sadly ....

Thanks for all the comments, but doesn't really get me any further in deciding which nib to order. It won't be fine or medium, at any rate.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I'm sure you're aware that boutiques are stocking only medium and fine nibs in this model. So no chance to try, try and try, sadly ....

Well, as a former owner of a Montblanc Boutique I always had every nib on the "standard" models of all Montblanc pens in stock. Only on the limited editions and the really expensive pens I just had 3 or 4 different nibs in stock.

This Boutique still exists (in Bremen) and of course you still can choose your nib size out of many choices. Is that different in England? That would be poor. That wouldn't match the requirement I have and which I expect from Montblanc itself as well.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Well, as a former owner of a Montblanc Boutique I always had every nib on the "standard" models of all Montblanc pens in stock. Only on the limited editions and the really expensive pens I just had 3 or 4 different nibs in stock.

This Boutique still exists (in Bremen) and of course you still can choose your nib size out of many choices. Is that different in England? That would be poor. That wouldn't match the requirement I have and which I expect from Montblanc itself as well.

~ @penparadise

What you've described is a ‘dream boutique’.

It would be wonderful to have such variety in stock for potential buyers.

Where I live, in Beijing, medium is the nib of choice for all models, with a few fine nibs.

All other nibs are special order only.

I ought to have visited Deutschland during my most recent visit to Europe, in order to go fountain pen shopping.

Thank you for telling this.

Tom K.

That does indeed sound like the standard of service to expect from Montblanc! I obviously haven't tried every boutique, but the one within striking distance - and the sellers who are offering this model - have only M and F, it seems to me. But this isn't a 'standard' model, so I wouldn't expect more.

I can, however, order any size nib, and to help with that I'm just asking for other people's experiences. I know it won't provide The Answer, but it will help me weigh up the options.