Pelikan M21 Disassembly Line

berc

Few months ago I was ecstatic to discover this vintage Pelikan (btw, thanks to everybody who helped me identify the model of pelikan in this topic: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299779-unknown-vintage-pelikan/?do=findComment&comment=3496046). However, my hype was short-lived. It turned out that there was a rather large cut in the section, and there was ink coming out of it. While I was writing, there was some ink coming out, but it was not that big a deal, but after capping it and then uncapping it, the section was full of ink drops (there will be a picture provided how the pen looks right after uncapping it). I guess some kind of pressure (or maybe vacuum) is formed when the pen is capped, resulting in the ink coming out. So, I have few ideas in my head, how to fix this issue.

1. If I could disassemble this pen, and then cover the crack (the section) with silicon grease from the inside. With this "solution" there are few problems. First I have no idea how to disassemble the pen (and whether it is possible to disassemble, because by the looks of it, it is not possible to take the nib out or any other as in in the M800 or M100), and second, I don't know if the silicon grease will mess up the feed in some way.

2. I was thinking of just covering the outer part of the section with silicon grease, hoping that silicon grease would enter the crack and therefore stop the leaking.

3. Simply change the section part. However I do not know from where to find any spares, and as I said earlier, I am not sure if this pen could disassembled at all.

Anyway, I'm using it as a dip pen, which is kind of a shame since this pen was not designed to be used that way. I would really like to find a problem to this solution. Any and every suggestion is more than welcomed. Now I will attach some pictures of the leaking and the crack, but if you would like to see more pictures of the pen just visit the link provided.

P.S. I am really hoping for solving this problem so that I can make my first pen review. If I am not wrong, there isn't any review about the M21, so I think it might be an interesting review :D

post-126230-0-59247000-1461937189_thumb.jpg

post-126230-0-01296100-1461937206_thumb.jpg

post-126230-0-67672400-1461937224_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• berc

• Bo Bo Olson

• sargetalon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The nib tip looks a bit too bent down too.

Take a block of paper put the nib on the edge and press down and or press down while stroking the nib at medium light pressure with the blunt end of a drill bit.

If no help come on what sort of glue to use, look in the repair section.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is a fairly decent crack and I don't think silicone grease will effect a meaningful repair. The pen will disassemble to a degree but replacement parts for a pen of this age are not readily available. Any glue that you might use, you have to be careful as some glues can cause more damage on these plastic pieces. I would seek out the opinion of an expert such as Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens. He likely could stabilize and fix the crack to at least return the pen to optimal functioning. It might be more economical though to seek out a replacement of the same model that is in better shape. Whatever you decide, good luck getting it sorted because those are great pens.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

The nib tip looks a bit too bent down too.

Take a block of paper put the nib on the edge and press down and or press down while stroking the nib at medium light pressure with the blunt end of a drill bit.

If no help come on what sort of glue to use, look in the repair section.

Regarding the nib, it didn't feel like there was anything unusual. It writes quite well (I think its an EF), however it can feel a bit scratchy at times. So, I guess this is the answer. If I understood you correctly, this problem is easily solved, so it is the least of my worries.

That is a fairly decent crack and I don't think silicone grease will effect a meaningful repair. The pen will disassemble to a degree but replacement parts for a pen of this age are not readily available. Any glue that you might use, you have to be careful as some glues can cause more damage on these plastic pieces. I would seek out the opinion of an expert such as Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens. He likely could stabilize and fix the crack to at least return the pen to optimal functioning. It might be more economical though to seek out a replacement of the same model that is in better shape. Whatever you decide, good luck getting it sorted because those are great pens.

Well not the words I wanted to hear, but any info from an expert regarding the Pelikan is always welcome. However, my last "solution" is to visit a jeweler, because IMO, if anyone can work precisely with such small cracks should be them. What kind of glue is best suited to my Pelikan, would be also great.

Anyway, thank you both for the info. Hopefully I will find a way to sort this thing out.

Cheers.