Mixing Inks

Bklyn

Hi all:

Just wondering, is there a way of knowing which inks you can mix and which ones you can't?

Love some insight here because the idea of missing up different inks not almost endless variations is fascinating but I was told that some inks do not mix well.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Tas

• VivienR

• Bklyn

Unless the ink maker says one way the other the only way is to try. Rohrer and Klingner says you can mix any of their inks but the Sepia. Platinum has their mix free inks.

Hi all:

Just wondering, is there a way of knowing which inks you can mix and which ones you can't?

Love some insight here because the idea of missing up different inks not almost endless variations is fascinating but I was told that some inks do not mix well.

Mix small amounts in a vial. If nothing 'develops' in a week, try it in an inexpensive pen. Just never mix any Noodler's Baystate inks with anything else, ever.

In all my years of willy-nilly ink mixing, only two bottles ever developed anything suspicious.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Ha, I've just mixed a WHOLE heap of stuff together - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Like Uncle Red says R&K inks are excellent playmates.

I've found Diamine play well together too, as do J Herbin.

The Noodlers I've experimented with were hit and miss but when they scored they were goodies ! :drool:

Leave Iron Galls alone unless Sandy1 says you can :notworthy1:

I'd leave any new mix alone for a couple of days in a clear bottle to see if there's any gloop developing before putting into a pen you don't mind trashing - staining etc.
I love mixing and have as much fun doing so as playing with my pens. Go for it.

Ha, I've just mixed a WHOLE heap of stuff together - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Like Uncle Red says R&K inks are excellent playmates.

I've found Diamine play well together too, as do J Herbin.

The Noodlers I've experimented with were hit and miss but when they scored they were goodies ! :drool:

Leave Iron Galls alone unless Sandy1 says you can :notworthy1:

I'd leave any new mix alone for a couple of days in a clear bottle to see if there's any gloop developing before putting into a pen you don't mind trashing - staining etc.

I love mixing and have as much fun doing so as playing with my pens. Go for it.

I did the same thing recently! No lemon juice bottle, but a mini Noodler's bottle. In went 54th, some Diamine, PR and DA dregs, and I don't recall what else. Probably Skrip blue.

I have labeled it 'Who Cares?' and use it for dipping my nonworking, beater Triumphs.

I did the same thing recently! No lemon juice bottle, but a mini Noodler's bottle. In went 54th, some Diamine, PR and DA dregs, and I don't recall what else. Probably Skrip blue.

I have labeled it 'Who Cares?' and use it for dipping my nonworking, beater Triumphs.

More 54th bites the dust eh? :( Such a shame. I thought I had mine tamed with photo flo but I was wrong.

Loving the name "Who Cares" :) so much better than the one I have on the go at the moment . . . "Heinz Blue Black" :blush:

Edited by Tas

More 54th bites the dust eh? :( Such a shame. I thought I had mine tamed with photo flo but I was wrong.

Loving the name "Who Cares" :) so much better than the one I have on the go at the moment . . . "Heinz Blue Black" :blush:

You kidding... I had no idea Photo Flo can fail... :(

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

You kidding... I had no idea Photo Flo can fail... :(

C.

:( Yep. Blasted the 54thS1 blend (in honour of Sandy1's mix) kept failing to start in my Konrad, Ahab & Nib Creeper. I put it, don't ask why, in my wondrous Conklin Crescent filler (new version) and the whole thing gave up. Ended up cleaning it out with a cotton bud and, and the cotton bud end came off and is still inside - must ask mum for a crochet needle.

So many others seem to have had great experiences of 54th but despite my every effort I hardly did. Oh well.

Ohhh, I dunno...I kind of like that name. :)

I have also heard (and I admit I haven't tried . . . yet) that Callifolio inks mix well together.

Actually, I decided to give something a try. I mixed a dark blue-black with a dark red to try to come up with a deep, rich concord grape color. Here is the result:

fpn_1461965615__bklyn_half_baikal_half_b

I've named it "Bklyn" in your honor. Now, I will let it sit for a few days, then ink up my Lamy to see how it works out. I will post my results in a few days.

Somehow I feel like the evil scientist . . . muwhahahahahah!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

At first I misread that as "Hazmat Blue Black" for some reason.

I have a MB shoe bottle that originally contained MB Royal blue, into which I added, at least, MB Midnight Blue, and then a fair number of other blues. A process that's taken years so I really don't remember anymore. Except I thought it missed a little oompf, and so this morning I added a few ml of Sargasso Sea. The bottle usually stays topped up - and my only rule is, only blue ink goes in. But the blue can be a mix.

It's much better now. Will fill a pen soon. This mix is called Random Blue Mix.

Another work in progress is my Deep dark blue - started years ago, probably a mix with blue and black. Another thread on here inspired me to consolidate some blue mixes that I was no longer using. From Sargasso Sea to Chesterfield sodalite, and a lot of stuff in between, went in there. Even a little IG, Hero 232. So far, so good. Not in a pen yet but diptested. It amounts to about 100ml. And I know there's Parker Quink blue black mixed with red in there. It really is a deep dark blue.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I do enjoy mixing Rohrer & Klingner. Here Berlin I do get a bottle of the ink for Euro 3,70 - so I can just fool around.

At the moment I love most my Blu Mare & Verdigris Mix and a Helianthus and Moringa Mix.

This si so helpful. I thank you all.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I mixed Sailor Shigure with Diamine claret recently, and the mix was safe. Just had some fun, so didn't take exact measurements, but as far as I remember 1:1 was yielded some nice purple. Although I have my favorite purples so, I didn't have a really big urge to develop a purple for my needs, but I got some intuition to mix... Especially reading stories about Sailor Ink Clinics.

OH, and don't forget to look at the list of ink mixes which didn't work.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OH, and don't forget to look at the list of ink mixes which didn't work.

Definitely will. Maybe after I retire (if I will live long enough) will be an ink mixer :D

Definitely will. Maybe after I retire (if I will live long enough) will be an ink mixer :D

Lets hope that you live long enough to retire. I thought of dying but there is not real future in it. Besides, friends and family will sell your good pens on eBay for pennies on the dollar and wonder why you liked them.

Lets hope that you live long enough to retire. I thought of dying but there is not real future in it. Besides, friends and family will sell your good pens on eBay for pennies on the dollar and wonder why you liked them.

Thank you! Well, I hope... But for that firstly I will look for a new place to work... After, many things possible. Well, I will hardly care about what happens after my death with my collection. Although, would be happy to have someone whom carry forward my legacy...