Purple Mixes That Are Dark Purple/gray Purple Help?

merrycitrine

Hey guys,

I recently tried a sample of Diamine Grape and really loved the color. However, the ink is a bit weird and gets a little cloggy if left for a couple days in a pen.

I have been looking at Lamy Dark Lilac swatches online and I really love the color as well. I am considering getting the ink, then making my own mixes to achieve a darker purple when I am in the mood for it.

Does anyone have any experience with making grayish purples like Diamine Damson or a dark purple like Diamine Grape?

I don't want to purchase two bottles of purple ink - as I am likely never going to use them up. I think getting the lilac ink will let me play with both - bright and dark purples if things go to plan.

I look forward to hearing your experiences!

Thanks!

Edited by merrycitrine

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ENewton

• Sholom

• mhpr262

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had exactly the same problem with Grape. It is probably my favorite color but wouldn't flow after a day in most of my pens. Here are some other ideas for you to try.

• On most papers, Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa is a dark, grayish purple that shades dramatically. Note that it contains iron gall, so the color changes over time.
  • In a wet enough pen, the current formulation of J Herbin Poussiere de Lune is similar to Grape, although a little redder and dusty.
  • Montblanc Lavender Purple is also a dark purple in a wet pen, but definitely not dusty.

I have not used Dark Lilac, but it does look very nice in the swatches and reviews.

I was just about to mention the R&K Scabiosa too. I really like that ink.

It is very dark, deep purple, like ripe plums. I use it in a cheap Diplomat Magnum pen (for schoolchildren, I bought eight of them on ebay for about $24) and despite iron gall ink having a reputation as being difficult I have so far never had the slightest problem with it. No clogging, no flow issues, even though I sometimes don't use the pen for two or three weeks at a time. It always starts right up, even though the ink is then pretty much black for the first three or four lines.

YOu could also mix your own ink, all standard R&K inks can be mixed however you please.

Edited by mhpr262

I was just about to mention the R&K Scabiosa too. I really like that ink.

It is very dark, deep purple, like ripe plums. I use it in a cheap Diplomat Magnum pen (for schoolchildren, I bought eight of them on ebay for about $24) and despite iron gall ink having a reputation as being difficult I have so far never had the slightest problem with it. No clogging, no flow issues, even though I sometimes don't use the pen for two or three weeks at a time. It always starts right up, even though the ink is then pretty much black for the first three or four lines.

YOu could also mix your own ink, all standard R&K inks can be mixed however you please.

All R & K fountain pen inks can be mixed except Sepia, according to the company's website.

Noodler's Purple Wampum is a distinctly grayed purple that for me has been well-behaved. I don't care for bright or intense purples or violets and Wampum is perfect.

What inks do you have in your collection?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I mixed Callifolio Baikal with Callifolio Bordeaux and got a wonderful grayed purple.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 1 month later...

I mixed equal amounts of Pelikan 4001 Red and Diamine Violet to produce a dark purple. Kinda close to J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune.

You could also try to mix Scabiosa and Salix! It results in a very dark blue black

I really like the mix.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Lamy Dark Lilac is a very pleasant, well-behaved, and Surprise, nicely saturated ink.

I'm not a great fan of the purple range. Dignified dark, not too red, or blue, with a slight touch of gray would be the one for me > LDL is it.

See the posted photo reviews. On some papers using wet nibs, there's gold edge sheen.

Hopefully this becomes a standard color. Maybe these qualities will be tweaked into the other Lamy standard inks.

• 4 months later...

I love diamine eclipse. It's dark enough that it looks almost black and I can use it for business and school, but if you look closely it's a really nice purple. Damson is also really nice- I find it a bit too purple for work, but It's gorgeous for letters etc. It's purple but not obnoxious.

• 2 weeks later...

All R & K fountain pen inks can be mixed except Sepia, according to the company's website.

Can you point this out on their site? Because I can't seem to find it, and on La Couronne they explicitly write that if you mix Sepia in a fountain pen that it should then be cleaned out of the pen when done writing to prevent clogging. It doesn't say not to do it, just clean after use.

purple_rock-200x200.jpg

Oster Purple Rock may be the ink you are looking for...

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!