Pen For College Graduation

rva100

Hello everyone!

I've been reading this website for months but this is the first time I post. I wanted to ask you guys to recommend me which pen I should ask for as a gift for my college graduation, with a budget of max 400 dls. I have been considering the following options: Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night, Visconti Dali, Montegrappa Ducale and Espressione and Montblanc 145, but I am open to more suggestions.

I have been into fountain pens for a couple of years and I currently own 2 Lamy Safaris and a Sheaffer 100.

Which pen would you choose for this special occasion?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• Runnin_Ute

• rva100

• Lam1

Here's what my wish list is for that range:

1. Pilot Custom 823 - great nibs, large, vacuum filler

2. Conid Bulkfiller Slimline- small maker out of Belgium (I think?), titanium nibs are an option, innovative filling system, well made and engineered

3. Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel - great smooth gold nib, gorgeous design, piston filler

4. Edison Morgan - 18k nib, c/c filler, hand-made with gorgeous materials, small production runs

I have a bunch of stuff over the $500 mark and a bunch of stuff in the sub-$200, but those are the 4 pens in that $250-$400 range that really appeal.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

Hello everyone!

I've been reading this website for months but this is the first time I post. I wanted to ask you guys to recommend me which pen I should ask for as a gift for my college graduation, with a budget of max 400 dls. I have been considering the following options: Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night, Visconti Dali, Montegrappa Ducale and Espressione and Montblanc 145, but I am open to more suggestions.

I have been into fountain pens for a couple of years and I currently own 2 Lamy Safaris and a Sheaffer 100.

Welcome Aboard! Congratulations re graduation. {thumbsupthingie}

Which pen{s}: Parker 75 or "51" Aerometric filler.

Enjoy your time here.

Fred

Sir Humphrey Davy.

Detested gravy.

He lived in the odium

Of having invented Sodium

~ Clerihew

I don't have one, but how about a Pelikan M600 series pen? Without trying to hard I found a couple of places under $400 and as low as $300.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you are interested in used pens, you could get a really nice 146 for that money. Might even pick up a new old stock.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Just saying but the Ducale is really effin small.

Otherwise, Pilot 845 from Japan, used 146/m800, Sailor pro gear Realo, Platinum President series, something by Edison or Newton, many other options.

Here's what my wish list is for that range:

1. Pilot Custom 823 - great nibs, large, vacuum filler

2. Conid Bulkfiller Slimline- small maker out of Belgium (I think?), titanium nibs are an option, innovative filling system, well made and engineered

3. Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel - great smooth gold nib, gorgeous design, piston filler

4. Edison Morgan - 18k nib, c/c filler, hand-made with gorgeous materials, small production runs

I have a bunch of stuff over the $500 mark and a bunch of stuff in the sub-$200, but those are the 4 pens in that $250-$400 range that really appeal.

I agree with all those, especially a Conid or Pilot C823.

Congratulations !

Is this celebratory pen for commemorative display, or for daily use ? Will you be using it often, or for long sessions ? All the names are difficult to pronounce. I have no experience with any of them. However, you do not have a Parker 51. This seems like a good opportunity to get one.

What were you studying ?

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Congratulations !

Is this celebratory pen for commemorative display, or for daily use ? Will you be using it often, or for long sessions ? All the names are difficult to pronounce. I have no experience with any of them. However, you do not have a Parker 51. This seems like a good opportunity to get one.

What were you studying ?

I would like a nice looking celebratory pen that isn't impractical to use. The Parker 51 looks very nice, do you know its price range and whether it can be purchased new?

I was studying Economics.

My celebratory pens (for winning awards, getting promotions, or winning an election) include:

three custom made Edisons (two stub nibs made specifically for me, and one second hand purchase with a F nib);

Waterford Celestial, M nib

I have a couple of others, but they are no longer available.

I would look to do a custom pen, like an Edison, Newton or Scriptorium. They should generally be in your price range, and can be the color, style, size, and nib type of your dreams. The cost should be within your price range.

No affiliation with any maker; just a proud owner of the aforementioned Edisons and a lovely Scriptorium.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Depends on your preferences. Do you like your pens slim or thick? Heavy or light? Which filling systems and finishes appeal to you?

The Parker "51" is an excellent pen, no doubt. Parker made millions annually for decades. It is currently out of production. They're very reliable middle weight pens. They are hard to fully flush out. I have one that my Dad used for decades, and it worked great after a single flush and fill.

Ah, well, I would say on the one hand you should get this pen, or on the other hand you should choose that one. This is, after all, a choice to be made in which you will consider the short term implications and long term repercussions. So, it is up to you, which will be the optimal choice in the aggregate.

:D

S'OK, I am partnered by an economist who is very sensible amongst other life-long qualities. Congratulations and do not sweat too much over a bunch of good recommendations. :)

X

In this price range there are many, many very good pens that you could get and that would be a great celebratory pen and write great too.

As some noticed, it all depends on what you want on a pen, The first things you should ask yourself are if you like heavier or lighter pens? Slim or fatter? What kind of filling system (if that is important to you - it does make a difference when cleaning and on the amount of ink)? Really thin line (Japanese) or a little thicker (western)? Etc.

Since it is a celebratory pen, I would go with a new one. Examples of what would fit in that budget (some of which were already mentioned) are:

Pilot 743/823/845

Sailor 1911L/1911L Sterling Silver/Realo

Pelikan M400/M600/M800

Visconti Van Gogh with Dreamtouch nib/Homo Sapiens

Delta Dolcevita Federico (several models)

Parker Duofold/Sonnet

Etc.

If it were me I would go with a new Pelikan M800 in a heartbeat: It is piston filler, with interchangeable nibs, easy to clean since you can take the nib out, heavier and larger pen, all attributes that I like, and it is amazing to write with (you can get it new from several places for that budget). Second would be between the Duofold or 845 (but probably the Duofold). But those are just my preference, of course.

I would recommend three pens:

1.Sheaffer Legacy Heritage,

2.Sailor 1911L

3.Mont Blanc 144/146

If your max budget is 400, how about a second hand MB 146 or 149? I have seen some listed here on FPN on a number of occasions.

Sailor 1911L - brilliant nimble nib. Light and practical. Okay in formal and non formal situations. My every day companion at the moment.

Wow, are you confused yet?..lol... Well, here are my suggestions: The Parker 51 is a fantastic pen, but they don't make them anymore. They come up often on EBay. If you can score one that is in great shape, has had its sac replaced, you're getting a fantastic pen. I recently stumbled on a new old stock black with gold cap. The pen is older than I am but, I will never part with that pen. You're not going to want to carry it around. It's too precious for that. Likewise the Monblanc 146,149 and 145. Either the Parker or a Montblanc would be my first choices. They are all great pens that you will cherish and love to write with. I love mine, but they never leave the house.

For a more utilitarian pen, take a look at a Pelikan m200 or m400. They are piston fill, great writers, hold a ton of ink, and are something you can carry around If you're so inclined.

So there are my options for your consideration. I hope I haven't confused you.

For a pen that will stay at home you have the P51 and Montblanc. For a workhorse that you could carry around the Pelikan.

If you get a "51," whether you carry it or not is up to you. Mine is decidedly user-grade, as the formerly matte Lustraloy (steel) cap is now nearly polished, and the hood is scuffed to a matte finish by a myriad or more of cappings, and I am okay with carrying it. If it was a NOS with an unusual color and a vermeil, GF, or gold cap, I might not be.

Hello everyone!

I have read the suggestions. If you want a new pen, go with the Montblanc. Two brands of pens have served me well over many years, and one is Montblanc.

Congratulations !

What were you studying ?

The Parker 51 is not made any more, but this is the other pen that has served me well over many years. One of the more middling valuable pens would be in your price range, and it would be a memento and an incomparable servant for a lifetime.

I would like a nice looking celebratory pen that isn't impractical to use. The Parker 51 looks very nice, do you know its price range and whether it can be purchased new?

See above comments.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.