Goulet Pens Disappointment

Chrissy

Due to high shipping costs and import charges for the UK, I'm only able to order my pen and inky goodies from Goulet Pens when I'm going to visit the US.

This time I have a friend who wants me to get some ink samples, and we were both surprised about the shipping price, although to be fair, there were 29 samples in my cart! I also want to buy myself a bottle of Noodler's Burma Road Brown ink while I'm in the US. I don't really mind where I buy it from as long as I get a glass bottle, especially as the price is the same whether the bottle is glass or plastic. So, I thought if I added one to my Goulet's order my friend and I could split the shipping, and it would cost her less. The shipping cost was exactly the same price with the bottle of ink added in. Also, I was going to add 100 sheets of Tomoe River paper, and that didn't increase the shipping cost either.

However, it transpires that Goulet Pens has both glass and plastic Noodler's bottles, and despite me having read many posts about their personal and careful packaging, when I asked if I could be sure of getting a glass bottle of BRB, I received a reply saying no and they couldn't look at what was being packed. I was quite surprised about that. :wacko:

So that's that. My friend doesn't want to pay the shipping cost by herself, and I'm not buying a bottle of BRB unless I can have a glass one. :unsure:

That's a real shame. It will probably be the first time in 8 years or so I will have been on vacation in FL and not placed an order with Goulet Pens. :(

If anyone knows where I can buy a glass bottle of Noodler's Burma Road Brown ink for delivery within the US that would be great. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• FOUR X FOUR

• akustyk

• Helen350

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still quite a number of the plastic bottles around and it might be that new batches of particular inks in glass bottles have yet to made, so the plastic ones are the only ones available.

Chrissy, two weeks ago PenBoutique told me they only had glass bottles of BRB.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

There are still quite a number of the plastic bottles around and it might be that new batches of particular inks in glass bottles have yet to made, so the plastic ones are the only ones available.

This is what I was advised:

"Noodler's has switched back to glass for some colors, but unfortunately we currently have a mixed stock and are not able to guarantee glass bottles. We are not able to easily separate them during the receiving and stocking process as we don't open each individual box and the boxes all look the same."

I believe that some time ago when FPN members were trying to get a particular Noodler's blue for mixing, they were requesting one version over another.

What I was advised suggests to me not only that none is ever looked at, or checked, when packed, but that incoming new stock glass bottles are just jumbled in amongst existing old stock plastic bottles, rather than ensuring correct stock rotation. It doesn't seem logical. :huh:

Chrissy, two weeks ago PenBoutique told me they only had glass bottles of BRB.

Thank you Bob. I will investigate PenBoutique. :)

I well understand your preference for a glass bottle. Regardless of who the vendor might be, it does not seem either a good policy or good customer service to rationalize avoiding a customer request. If it happened to me, I would feel I had been told I was unimportant and feel disappointed as you are. PenBoutique sounds like a viable option.

Good luck. And I hope you enjoy your vacation in the US. B)

What I was advised suggests to me not only that none is ever looked at, or checked, when packed, but that incoming new stock glass bottles are just jumbled in amongst existing old stock plastic bottles, rather than ensuring correct stock rotation. It doesn't seem logical.

Keep in mind that Noodler's bottles come in their own little boxes which are marked with the type of ink. There's no real reason for GPC to open those boxes. I'm sure they still rotate older stock to the front, but since they're in their boxes it's not immediately visible whether it's a glass or plastic container.

Wow, I'm surprised. I thought they would be doing all they can for their customers. Recently, Brian made a video where he spoke about other competition and price cutters hurting his business. I won't take this any further. No need to bash.

Some regards

Allan

👻👻👻

I think I read / heard somewhere that the Goulets were fielding quite a few requests for glass vs plastic bottles, and decided to adopt a policy (to avoid slowing down their packaging "production line") that they would not offer a guarantee one way or the other. The Noodler's bottles come packaged in (labelled) white boxes - when an order comes for a particular colour, they simply take the box at the front of the row and add it to the order. It's disappointing, to be sure - but given the high volume of orders they process in a day, it's also understandable.

That said, if someone else is willing to provide the service you require (Pen Boutique, Andersons Pens or whoever), I'd be inclined to chase it up - free market economy and all that... All the best finding what you want!

As far as I'm concerned if I can't have it in a glass bottle then I would rather go without until I can get it in a glass bottle. It's that simple. My friend doesn't want to pay all of the shipping herself, so it's a $70 order that won't be placed.

I'm not sure that Anderson Pens will have all of the samples that my friend wants, but I will certainly check. Thank you all for your good advice. :)

As far as I'm concerned if I can't have it in a glass bottle then I would rather go without until I can get it in a glass bottle. It's that simple. My friend doesn't want to pay all of the shipping herself, so it's a $70 order that won't be placed.

I'm not sure that Anderson Pens will have all of the samples that my friend wants, but I will certainly check. Thank you all for your good advice. :)

When I buy Noodlers, I want glass as well and if the dealer can't tell me one way or the other I just won't buy from them until they can tell me what I want to know.

We are not able to easily separate them during the receiving and stocking process as we don't open each individual box and the boxes all look the same.

No need to open each package, the heavy one is glass and the lighter one is plastic.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I am no expert but I think it would be safe to assume that if the two bottles hold the same amount of ink then the glass bottle would weigh quite a bit more than the plastic version.

I hope that you can find a supplier who can help you.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

No need to open each package, the heavy one is glass and the lighter one is plastic.

Best regards.

Ding Ding Ding. Winner Winner. Chicken Dinner. My thoughts exactly.

Except the plastic bottles held a fair bit more ink than the glass bottles. Probably not enough difference in weight to be readily apparent.

The good news is that Noodler's began its return to glass bottles back in January, so the problem is going away.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The good news is that Noodler's began its return to glass bottles back in January, so the problem is going away.

Thank goodness Noodler's has returned to glass bottles for those who are particular about pkg. Goulet Pen Company does a fantastic job in customer service, and would hate to have them given a critical 'ink stain' because of glass bottle vs plastic bottle availability.

I recommend iPenstore. It's a reliable retailer. They only stock Noodler's glass bottles. Here's a quote from their email (March 17, 2016):

"Last fall, Noodler's announced that their glass bottle manufacturer stopped making the 3 ounce size. They made a switch to white plastic bottles while they searched for a new glass bottle supplier. We made the decision to wait to restock until the new glass bottles were available. We're starting to get our first shipments of the new glass bottles now, but on a very limited basis."

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/