Review: Rohrer And Klingner Salix

CaptainAnnoyed

Disclaimer: I don't swear by my scanner's quality, so I've tweaked the colors a bit. They look ok on my monitor, but mileage may vary, so I apologize in advance.

I've actually used 2 pens for this review. Most of it is written with a Lamy Safari (f), but for the comparison with Scabiosa (in the water test part) I used a Jinhao x750 (m).

The paper is finocam, a spanish brand that you may or may not have experience with. It's fairly good for fp use; line widths run true to size and there isn't any feathering or bleedthrough, although you can see some minor showthrough, which has been exacerbated out of proportion by my scanner. It's actually not bad at all. The paper has some texture, which results in some feedback from nibs ranging from medium to anything narrower. The color is creamy, almost yellowish.

http://i.imgur.com/mg562CY.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/87smCVD.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/gpNLvpg.jpg?1

I performed this test under running warm tap water for 10 seconds. As you can see, there is some saturation loss going on in the salix sample, but it does not impact legibility at all. That's why I rated the ink's water resistance as "very good".

http://i.imgur.com/P5evCCK.jpg?1

Edited by CaptainAnnoyed

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarkTrain

• Chumango

• Safari_Camo

• wascallyrabbit

Thank you for the review. I am a big fan of iron gall inks and use them without problem.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I was given some old Montblanc Blue-Black and added the remnants of a bottle of Salix to it. It brightens up the blue a bit and has that wonderful smell of sour wine, that I really appreciate from Salix and Scabiosa.

Great ink and great review.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

my observations are similar to yours. i do like the color and its in my ig ink rotation. at least one of my edc pens is always inked with some sort of ig ink.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if I have a bad batch because after some weeks the ink faded, I see all the photo reviews very similar to Pelikan Blue-Black, but not my R&K Salix.
Do you need to shake the bottle before use?
How long does it stays in the paper before it fades?.

• 5 months later...

How does this compare to Diamine Registrars?

It's more blue. Quite a bit more. Registrars is more grey and black. I don't know which I like more, but registrars is the champion of all inks on cheap paper, and I believe the lower ferrogallic content ask is, definitely feathers and bleeds a bit more (still relatively good)

I dig them both. Gun to my head? Registrar's for the more everyday paper performance.

If you're interested I can post a side by side picture

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

How does Salix compare to Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black?

I've read somewhere an opinion that those inks are nearly identical.

Sali

How does this compare to Diamine Registrars?

Salix is bluer than Diamine Registrars when first applied, however, the blue color/dye in any iron gall ink is ethereal. As the ink oxidizes, the blue color will disappear and be replaced by the grayish black color of the iron gall. So the difference between the inks will change with time. As Diamine Registrars appears to have more iron gall, it will appear darker after time. Also, Salix and any other iron gall ink will oxidize once you open the bottle so appearances can change even when the ink is applied first to paper.

How does Salix compare to Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black?

I've read somewhere an opinion that those inks are nearly identical.

Salix is much more water resistant the Pelikan 4001 BB and appears to have more iron gall to it. Salix is a little bluer when first applied to paper, but after time the difference is muted as the ink oxidizes.