mehandiratta

I am new to this forum but figured it was the right place to go to find information on a vintage Kaweco. I found it needs a lot of repair, but need info first.

post-146772-0-06368500-1544307259_thumb.jpg

post-146772-0-03073600-1544307267_thumb.jpg

post-146772-0-98886900-1544307273_thumb.jpg

post-146772-0-56324700-1544307291_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• mehandiratta

• OMASsimo

• Azuniga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kaweco, 5 3/8 closed, only one imprint on the barrel as shown, no number, PBF.

If I follow the Kaweco book it should be an # 885 from the Baden Factory, 1929…

It is delicious to write with its M nib

fpn_1546041999__k1.jpg

fpn_1546042043__k3.jpg

fpn_1546042065__k4.jpg

The best 2019 for everybody…

If I follow the Kaweco book it should be an # 885 from the Baden Factory, 1929

fpn_1546041999__k1.jpg

fpn_1546042043__k3.jpg

fpn_1546042065__k4.jpg

The best 2019 for everybody

As always, you find the most exquisite pens. Do you think the colour is original or has been oxidised. If the latter, then what was the original colour supposed to be? The material is celluloid I assume - but 1929 is quite early for that right? Is it some other material?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Hello Ariel

Another wonderful Kaweco fp!!! I am not sure that it came from the "Baden- works". The clip- and the barrel- imprint in capital serif letters reminds on the old KAWECO in Heidelberg. The material is pretty sure celluloid but the slimy color compounds in greenish and brownish reminds on galalithe/ casein.

The nib is surely from the new Badenia- Kaweco.

Thank you for posting this top eye- catcher.

Kind Regards

Thomas

Well, originally I thought it was oxidized (the original is lighter than images I uploaded) but I did not know.

I have had this pen for longtime and never used it, in my notes I had written that the material could be Catalin (thermosetting polymer from the American Catalin Corporation, 1927), but I could never find evidence that Catalin was sold in Germany in the twenties… nevertheless, for that reason I was never afraid of water as if I had known it could be casein. I concur with Thomas it is celluloid.

In fact I found it yesterday among unused pens; it did not have a pressure bar and a sac so I installed them and started using it. It is so surprisingly smooth that I thought I would bring it to the attention of the “show you Kaweco” thread.

When I read the reactions this morning I remembered some prototypes (I have always considered them prototypes since they were unused and I do not know if they were actually into production). I looked for them in this thread to quote them and I discovered I had never showed them here so I show them now.

From l to r:

680 – no # – 683 – 681

All with Pallad nib

fpn_1546098351__kp1.jpg

fpn_1546098386__kp2.jpg

And then a safety # 714 with a 14K nib (shown in the Kaweco book)

fpn_1546098414__714a.jpg

fpn_1546098444__714b.jpg

fpn_1546098476__714c.jpg

Thanks siamackz & Thomas for your interest and for what I am learning in this thread…

Well, originally I thought it was oxidized (the original is lighter than images I uploaded) but I did not know.

I have had this pen for longtime and never used it, in my notes I had written that the material could be Catalin (thermosetting polymer from the American Catalin Corporation, 1927), but I could never find evidence that Catalin was sold in Germany in the twenties nevertheless, for that reason I was never afraid of water as if I had known it could be casein. I concur with Thomas it is celluloid.

In fact I found it yesterday among unused pens; it did not have a pressure bar and a sac so I installed them and started using it. It is so surprisingly smooth that I thought I would bring it to the attention of the show you Kaweco thread.

When I read the reactions this morning I remembered some prototypes (I have always considered them prototypes since they were unused and I do not know if they were actually into production). I looked for them in this thread to quote them and I discovered I had never showed them here so I show them now.

From l to r:

680 no # 683 681

All with Pallad nib

fpn_1546098351__kp1.jpg

fpn_1546098386__kp2.jpg

fpn_1546098414__714a.jpg

fpn_1546098444__714b.jpg

fpn_1546098476__714c.jpg

Thanks siamackz & Thomas for your interest and for what I am learning in this thread

wow wow wow! What discerning taste, what a fantastic collection. Truly special. Well done my friend.

I have had this pen for longtime and never used it, in my notes I had written that the material could be Catalin (thermosetting polymer from the American Catalin Corporation, 1927), but I could never find evidence that Catalin was sold in Germany in the twenties nevertheless, for that reason I was never afraid of water as if I had known it could be casein. I concur with Thomas it is celluloid.

In fact I found it yesterday among unused pens; it did not have a pressure bar and a sac so I installed them and started using it. It is so surprisingly smooth that I thought I would bring it to the attention of the show you Kaweco thread.

From l to r:

680 no # 683 681

All with Pallad nib

fpn_1546098351__kp1.jpg

fpn_1546098386__kp2.jpg

fpn_1546098414__714a.jpg

fpn_1546098444__714b.jpg

fpn_1546098476__714c.jpg

Thanks siamackz & Thomas for your interest and for what I am learning in this thread

wow wow wow! What discerning taste, what a fantastic collection. Truly special. Well done my friend.

If I follow the Kaweco book it should be an # 885 from the Baden Factory, 1929

fpn_1546041999__k1.jpg

fpn_1546042043__k3.jpg

fpn_1546042065__k4.jpg

The best 2019 for everybody

How regular were button-fillers by Kaeeco as opposed to lever-fillers?

Edit: Kaweco

Holy cow! Kaweco did VanGogh way better than Visconti! :wub:

Or at least their providers of raw materials. I agree that these barrels look stunningly beautiful (the sections appear deliberately darker and those colour combinations with black in the mix leave me less than impressed though). Edited by ardene

Or at least their providers of raw materials. I agree that these barrels look stunningly beautiful (the sections appear deliberately darker and those colour combinations with black in the mix leave me less than impressed though).

But those are the ones that are the most Van Gogh :lol:

Id rather prefer they did something more copycat. Look at the balance of the colours in the Starry Night

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-starry-night/bgEuwDxel93-Pg?hl=en&avm=3

Definitely an old fave :wub: I was thinking these are along the lines of wheatfield with crows. More than anything, the way they mixed the colors is evocative of his brushstrokes from a distance.

Definitely an old fave :wub: I was thinking these are along the lines of wheatfield with crows. More than anything, the way they mixed the colors is evocative of his brushstrokes from a distance.

Oh, yes! They are more like it, but there still the shades are brown on the plants and dark blue in the sky. But yes, you’re absolutely right on the way the pigments spiral in the plastic.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/wheatfield-with-crows/dwFdD5AMQfpSew?hl=en

Oh, yes! They are more like it, but there still the shades are brown on the plants and dark blue in the sky. But yes, youre absolutely right on the way the pigments spiral in the plastic.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/wheatfield-with-crows/dwFdD5AMQfpSew?hl=en

Thank you also for the introduction to this Google service I didn't know about! So many pixels... :wub:

Thank you also for the introduction to this Google service I didn't know about! So many pixels... :wub:

I should thank you! I also found about those high-res images by googling for the paintings.

I should thank you! I also found about those high-res images by googling for the paintings.

We sometimes learn here accidentally as well as purposely, don't we? :D

Got my Kaweco V12 & 619 set... here are a few pics with a bird that also flew in at the same time. ;)

Hot dang is this tiny! :D

49151463_10157411337594063_3312028751449

Here with the Pelikan 400NN Tortoise (BB-nib).

49118548_10157411350759063_7737150908185

Funny thing that... the V12 ha a B-nib but it doesn't fall too far from the BB-nib of the Pelikan which does admittedly produce more crisp results and more pronounced line variation. Well, color me suprised still, this Kaweco really punches waaaaay above it's weight. Just amazing. <3

48967481_10157411352344063_7657466994123

Yay mana! So excited for you! I will never forget how shocked I was at the tiny v16, having thought the modern Sport was itty bitty :lol: and then, like you, shocked at how great they are to write with! Gorgeous Pelikan too!

How regular were button-fillers by Kaeeco as opposed to lever-fillers?

Edit: Kaweco

Kaweco produced few LF, Piston and BF were much more commun...