Filling Your Fountain Pen With Something Other Than Fountain Pen Ink !

PandaPen

On 11/10/2021 at 5:29 AM, Stationery Fan said:

I'm another person that enjoys using food colouring in my cheaper calligraphy pens (XB nib gets through a standard international cartridge in 1.5 pages!). I've been using a lovely blend of green/blue to make a fantastic shade of teal green (almost identical to Lamy Turmaline, which I bought before the food colour experiment). Every time the cartridge empties, I flush the pen though. So no impact has been seen on my pens...yet. I've currently inked an M nib for the past 3 weeks with the same ink fill without issues. Never left it to dry out (and don't intend to). As previous Aussies have done before me, the brand I use is Queens Food colouring liquid. I had so much enjoyment with a teal made from green/blue that I went back to the store and got red and yellow to complete the primary colour set for fun mixing times. I have half the mind to make a recipe post just for imitation "inks" that I mix, but the prospect of having to take all the pictures and upload them means at this stage they recipes shall live in my journal until after I pass all my exams.

I sometimes place the teeniest smidgeon of dishwashing liquid in the cartridge, as the ink can be a bit dry. Overdoing it makes the thing gush like a fountain...as I've experienced. Although my use of Lamy Turmaline in the same pens caused ink burping, which I never experienced with the food colours. So maybe this is the "ink" for these particular pens?

I did some testing with food colors in otherwise blah inks. I posted reviews.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• PandaPen

• Cryptos

On 6/3/2022 at 7:14 AM, be-an-adult said:

I love how we can explain away a whole host of weird questions with the phrase "I'm an artist." Recently I've also been dabbling a bit in sanguine media, but I never thought to put it into a fountain pen. I guess a bit of heparin would mean it wouldn't clot up in the pen, or just go with a dip pen. 

You might also want a pen that won't dry out..

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

I am also one who likes to use liquid food coloring, and it seems to work fairly well, to the point to where I have branded some inks as "glorified food coloring," often being comparable to the inks in the off brand cartridges that I have gotten with new pens or off most discount e-tailers.  if they behave similarly. They are often good for testing pens or general note-taking, but they would need more evaluation for colorfastness, which may be easy to fade in sunlight. It is also not water resistant at all, which is a surprise to nobody. The kind I use is from McCormick, and often either appears in dark 1.5 ounce bottles or so, or the pointed 4 packs in the baking aisle of your local grocer. The colors are also bold and vibrant, though it does feather noticeably on inexpensive notebook paper. There is also a competing gel, which should be avoided, as it won't make it through the feed. It is certainly a good alternative if you need to get an ink in a hurry, and can't wait for Goulet to ship it to you.

I sometimes will also ferment and filter polkberry wine for a natural ink. It comes out as bright magenta, though if it isn't prepared properly, it will carbonate and pressurize inside your pen, causing it to literally pour out. It also turns to a pale tan color if you don't preserve it properly. Definitely a fun tinker project, but not recommended for serious use.

Watercolor, however, I can't get the courage to try, as most of what I've been able to get is pigment based, and I don't trust what they say is dye based to be pigment free, or to lack other particles. The results of that would be the same as trying to use india ink--an instant clog. Ask me how I know...

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

I also tried "Food Coloring" waaaaay back at the beginning of my FP journey.
After taking weeks to come up with two or three formulas for ink colors...I gave it up and took the lazy route of just buying pre-made inks 😆

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 4/20/2016 at 6:12 AM, dcwaites said:

Use a leech for collection. A decent size one will fill a single cartridge, and it injects anticoagulant automatically. It will also apply an anaesthetic at the collection site, so you won't feel a thing.

You will need some Stypwool after removal of the leech, though, to stop bleeding.

On 4/20/2016 at 6:59 AM, Cryptos said:

You're taking all the fun out this: no pain, no blood dripping from wounds. I dunno what's the matter with people these days. Sheesh!

I was actually thinking of a different anticoagulant, one that would lend itself well to a poisoned pen letter, but probably best not to go there.

You guys are getting me excited!!
😀

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I have a one word question: Why?

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

3 hours ago, Bristol24 said:

I have a one word question: Why?

Cliff

The most important question is, "why not?"

...though I will say, use your Platinum Preppy for your experimentation, not your MontBlanc Aeropex. You'll probably ruin a few pens during your time in the lab.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.