Filling Your Fountain Pen With Something Other Than Fountain Pen Ink !

PandaPen

I backed this pen on Kickstarter (http://www.winkpens.com/). It has not shipped yet, but it was made to encourage using wine, beer, soysauce, koolaid, etc. as ink. I can't wait to get it and start experimenting! (I might skip the blood experiment, though...) :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• PandaPen

• Cryptos

I backed this pen on Kickstarter (http://www.winkpens.com/). It has not shipped yet, but it was made to encourage using wine, beer, soysauce, koolaid, etc. as ink. I can't wait to get it and start experimenting! (I might skip the blood experiment, though...) :)

OH, wow, it's beautiful. The old Spoors pens are selling for about $50 (not the really pretty ones, but the usable ones). I'm really excited to see yours in action.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I will post samples when I get it. They were less expensive during the Kickstarter campaign, but I see that they have gone up. I just looked up some Spoor pens - thanks for mentioning them!

Okay, here goes. A couple of words written in human blood (mine), using a Blanzy Plume Princess No.730 EF dip pen on Rhodia paper.

The other samples are for contrast using the same nib but with different inks. To note - the Diamine Red Dragon is quite dark here, which may be a function of the pointed pen as it is a bit lighter from a Pilot 78G fine (not shown).

The blood shows a lot of orangeness to it - picture on screen is near identical to what it looks like in person to me - and there is shading but not obvious sheen. If time permits I may try this again with a broad italic nib. Blood was also very well behaved off the nib, cleaned easily and dried very quickly under a desk lamp.

fpn_1461558902__dscn1467.jpg

Apologies for the poor handwriting - it was rather dashed off.

WD-40 in a Lamy converter, because it was completely bubbly and stiff. Works like a charm.

Did you write with it or just use it as lubricant? WD-40 will slowly dry up your rubber seals and can damage some plastics, be careful.

Yes - here

Hmm, it appears I only used dip pens for this sample.

I may have to volunteer a Preppy to sacrifice itself for the good of the community

fpn_1389329565__queenfooddyesscaled.jpg

That's straight from the bottle? It seems to work surprisingly well. I might do this to try and freak people out by licking the coloring off my pen :lol:

Do the De Atramentis Wine inks count? They are made of wines.

They dont really count since it's marketed as ink but they are really nice. I might have to buy one sometime

That pen is really cool. A bit too expensive for what it is but I'm looking forward to see reviews, and what people put in it haha

I guess the real question is: will blood sheen?

Nop, a thin layer of dried blood isn't really a different color than dried caked on blood, so it wont sheen.

Okay, here goes. A couple of words written in human blood (mine), using a Blanzy Plume Princess No.730 EF dip pen on Rhodia paper.

The other samples are for contrast using the same nib but with different inks. To note - the Diamine Red Dragon is quite dark here, which may be a function of the pointed pen as it is a bit lighter from a Pilot 78G fine (not shown).

The blood shows a lot of orangeness to it - picture on screen is near identical to what it looks like in person to me - and there is shading but not obvious sheen. If time permits I may try this again with a broad italic nib. Blood was also very well behaved off the nib, cleaned easily and dried very quickly under a desk lamp.

fpn_1461558902__dscn1467.jpg

Apologies for the poor handwriting - it was rather dashed off.

Wow, you did it! :yikes:

Flex nib? There's a lot of nice line variation.

Edited by PandaPen

I cleaned out four Platinum Preppy pens, and filled them with the Queen Food Dyes, as inks. No adjustments were made, no dilution, no flow agent, nothing. What was in the bottle is what you get. Paper is Tomoe River.

fpn_1462085085__queenfooddyes.jpeg

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I'm quite impressed. I confess to having used the kids Easter Egg dye tablets to try out some water coloring. The kids have recovered.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Green gouache in a MB 144. I have a spare feed. Fairly dilute. I was told back in the day as an art student that gouache is dye based. The MB is the only pen I have a spare feed for.

Seems to have worked.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago, upon receiving Antietam, which was probably intended to resemble blood, I decided to bleed myself a bit and write with some blood.
I didn't use anticoagulant, and thus the blood stuck to the feed and was quite a hassle to clean off. (as you can see in the swab, it was already clotting when I put it on paper.) For the love of whatever you believe in, don't fill your pen with half-coagulated blood!
But here are some telling results:
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/Andy_Quaen/EPSON325%20%202_zpszvftkzau.jpg

Low saturation, but very well behaved (If such a clumpy, obstinate liquid can described as "well behaved") - no bleed through observed. No sheen, though - when thicker parts dry, they dry into clumps and flake off.
Again, it's more orange than you would imagine, when fresh. Also, it isn't quite saturated. (at least mine isn't) EoC must have very thick blood!

Edited by bioluminescentsquid

Ah, but I used a dip pen so no feed required - other than the "feed" hahahacoughdraculacoughhahaha!

I dropped the blood straight from the wound onto the nib and wrote immediately.

Ah, but I used a dip pen so no feed required - other than the "feed" hahahacoughdraculacoughhahaha!

I dropped the blood straight from the wound onto the nib and wrote immediately.

Reminds me, I need a tetanus shot booster.

Didn't I hear some where that people used milk for secret communications?

Didn't I hear some where that people used milk for secret communications?

Been there, done that. Write with milk, it dries invisible. Warm gently and it turns brown and readable. Same as lemon juice.

Granny Aching

I'll admit that I add a few drops of my own blood when I refill my 580Al with Noodler's Fox. I use that pen strictly for Rune workings so the blood is necessary according to my beliefs. 4 drops to a barrel and I've noticed no ill effects thus far.

• 2 months later...

So I have some special crayola paint for pens that I am going to try.

So I have some special crayola paint for pens that I am going to try.

Tell us more. I have some Dollar pens which have quite a broad ink channel in the feed that might suit.

Granny Aching