Any Suggestions For A Sleeve For Front-Pocket Carry?

nanders9

I know it is not the most popular way to carry a fountain pen (especially in the opinions of many on this forum), but I like to carry my fountain pens in my front pocket. When I was just carrying a Lamy Safari or Noodler's Nib Creeper I didn't really think twice about it - it was next to my phone in my pocket so it always stayed upright and the cap never came off. However, I've recently purchased a Lamy 2000 and while I am not afraid of scratches (I bought it used) I am afraid of breaking it - especially in the section area since it is pre-2009 when they changed the design to include more metal and reduce stress cracking.

I only carry one pen at a time as I'm rarely compelled to use multiple colors in one day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a front-pocket carry sleeve or if it is really necessary or worth the cost? Like I said earlier, I am not concerned with scratches, but I am concerned about cracks and things that will affect the function of the pen.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nanders9

• my63

• Sasha Royale

• FOUR X FOUR

one of those single pen sleeves or slips, made of leather. Such as this

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Which "front pocket" ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Since I'm retired I always Polo Cargo shorts and a Polo Tee shirt with a pocket. Sometimes I'll put a pen in the side cargo pocket. Never in the front pockets. Doesn't matter what pen. I just won't put one in my front pocket.😀😀

If it is your front shirt pocket, I would either not worry about it or leave it at home. If your front pant pocket, I would not do it and leave it at home. Carry something you are not going to worry about.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Which "front pocket" ?

Front pants pocket. I thought I put that in there but I guess I forgot.

I know that it is not a popular place for fountain pens, but I don't have any shirts with pockets and I need to carry a pen with me. "Switch to Bic" is also not a solid option because I switched from a Pilot G2 (carried the same one everyday for 4 years in the front pocket of my pants with keys and a pocket knife, my Lamy Safaris/2000 now live in the other pocket with my phone) to fountain pens mostly because fountain pens generate less waste.

Sort of off topic, but would anyone be willing to share any anecdotal evidence for or against carrying a fountain pen in the front pocket of pants?

I know it is not the most popular way to carry a fountain pen (especially in the opinions of many on this forum), but I like to carry my fountain pens in my front pocket. [snip] I am not concerned with scratches, but I am concerned about cracks and things that will affect the function of the pen.

one of those single pen sleeves or slips, made of leather. Such as this

Front pants pocket.

Hmm, hate to disagree but a leather sleeve is not going to be stiff enough to prevent pen cracks (or even snaps) from front-trouser pocket articulation.

Forum member MY63 has made single pen cases with kydex for stiffness, the OP might want to drop him a line. I've 'made' a few pen tubes outfitting stiff preforms with foam & silk, but IMO even something as small as that is not going to be very comfortable in a front trouser pocket.

One idea might be to find the smallest, thinnest aluminium cigar tube that your 2000 will fit in, I suppose?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Do you wear pullover polo style shirts with a 2 - 3 button placket? I sometimes clip a pen to the placket.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Did this in college. Broke a number of fountain pens. Stained several pairs of Levi's. Ruined a pair of canary britches. Blue stained my girlfriend's Spanish saddle. Tatoo-ed a "comma" on my bum.

Eventually learned. I don't do it, now. Good luck.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Do you wear pullover polo style shirts with a 2 - 3 button placket? I sometimes clip a pen to the placket.

Excellent way to clip your pen when no pocket is available.

Hmm, hate to disagree but a leather sleeve is not going to be stiff enough to prevent pen cracks (or even snaps) from front-trouser pocket articulation.

Forum member MY63 has made single pen cases with kydex for stiffness, the OP might want to drop him a line. I've 'made' a few pen tubes outfitting stiff preforms with foam & silk, but IMO even something as small as that is not going to be very comfortable in a front trouser pocket.

One idea might be to find the smallest, thinnest aluminium cigar tube that your 2000 will fit in, I suppose?

Woah, those cases by MY63 might just fit the bill. I'll have to shoot him a message.

Unfortunately I do not wear that type of shirt very often. But definitely will give that a try the next time I do.

Lead pipe.

I always like the things I carry to serve double purposes and I'm sure this would fit that mantra :lol:

Did this in college. Broke a number of fountain pens. Stained several pairs of Levi's. Ruined a pair of canary britches. Blue stained my girlfriend's Spanish saddle. Tatoo-ed a "comma" on my bum.

Eventually learned. I don't do it, now. Good luck.

Yikes! Any particular pattern to the breakages that might suggest weak points to fountain pens that any eventual case/sleeve would need to address?

Flounder is quite right normally leather is not exactly suited to making this type of case. The details of my tests are here.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/255117-making-a-pen-case/?p=3235345

I made a number of cases working out what was possible including one with a clip and one with a lanyard ring. I also made a slim line case using kydex but it did not work as I had hoped. I found that by wet moulding the shape in the front and drying out the leather carefully I could make a case that would not bend. it does not offer as much crush protection as one of my other cases but that was not an issue.

This is the finished case it was designed to hold an M B 149 sized pen.

16107911718_f23d977516_z.jpgIMG_9398 by my0771, on Flickr

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I looked into this subject a couple years ago.

The Ohto Tasche is the ONLY pen I will put in my pants pocket.

All the others, that I know of, are subject to stress at the junction of the cap and body, or the section.

And the longer the pen, the longer the lever to crack the pen at that weak spot.

The cap of the Ohto Tasche slides over the section and body of the pen, thus does not have that weak spot. And because of the overlapping cap, the pen is shorter, so less of a lever to bend the pen.

If you insist on putting a full length pen in your front pant pocket, then a SOLID case is what I recommend.

A section of 1 inch PVC pipe would make a good case.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Nanders9 has asked me to make him a case that will fulfil his requirements, the main one being to prevent a pen from snapping in a front pocket.

I could have made a smaller version of the one in the post above but where is the fun in that :)

25944940543_84c3a1b3b4_z.jpgDSC_0339[1] by my0771, on Flickr

The lighter coloured piece is a thinner leather that the pen clip can ride over.

26480510982_2c9bf76e97_z.jpgDSC_0349[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Dyed and stitched I have started to soak and dry the leather to stiffen it.Thanks for looking

Michael

Edited by my63

Yikes! Any particular pattern to the breakages that might suggest weak points to fountain pens that any eventual case/sleeve would need to address?

Not a fountain pen, but I took the clips off a couple of Parker Jotters when I was doing this in University. If you're planning to keep a Lamy 2000, I'd hope the clip on that is a bit more solid. I'd be a lot more worried about the cap coming off if I did this with a fountain pen with a push on cap, though (it definitely sounds like that's one of the issues Sasha had) so you need a tight case that closes over the top of the pen to stop that happening.

Grab a Kaweco Sport, short enough for front pocket, good size posted.

I've considered this in the past but I was always turned off by the lack of a twist converter. However, I recently saw that Kaweco is releasing a twist converter so maybe I'll have to check them out again!

Is that a Namiki Emperor in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My first attempt worked quite well but I could not be certain that it would never bend so this time I added some kydex the details are on my blog. The finished case looks like this.

26034260723_37d4591222_z.jpgDSC_0404[1] by my0771, on Flickr

26034265423_ae4d4abc1d_z.jpgDSC_0406[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Michael