Teal Ink For A Pilot 78G With A Bb Nib

Cassotto

Thanks! :)

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassotto

• Sailor Kenshin

• Gofixmix

• Padawan

Very dependent on the wetness of the pen, Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.

Out of my wet Esterbrook, a nice teal color that shades.

Out of a dryer pen, it will look turquoise.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If mixing isn't your thing, you may want to consider:

Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald

Callifolio Oconto or Omi Osun (available from Vanness Pens)

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Very dependent on the wetness of the pen, Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.

Out of my wet Esterbrook, a nice teal color that shades.

Out of a dryer pen, it will look turquoise.

Is a Pilot 78G with a BB nib considered a dry or a wet pen? I cannot recall what impression I got when I tried it, because the only thing that called my attention is how light the colour of the ink looked.

If mixing isn't your thing, you may want to consider:

Franklin Christoph Midnight Emerald

Callifolio Oconto or Omi Osun (available from Vanness Pens)

Thanks a lot for the new suggestions! I'll look them up.

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

I have a Pilot 78g in B I believe (not BB) and find it rather dry. I would not be concerned about using the Private Reserve Blue Suede in it at all. I've used other saturated PR inks in it without a problem--easy to clean and no special maintenance. I have Blue Suede (don't recall using it in that pen) but it's quite free-flowing so is a good fit for my dry-writing pen. And it's a good value.

I would suggest Pelikan Edelstein Topaz if available.

Or, perhaps, Aquamarine when available.

I was also going to suggest the aquamarine, though it might be too pricey for your wallet. It looks like the PR Blue Suede, seems to shade well (at least in my Visconti Eco-Roller using a cartridge). I have not filled a pen from the bottle yet, though I will do that as soon as I empty one of my currently inked pens.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Are the colours on Goulet Pens' page accurate? I'm trying to find out how many of the inks in the list I've already made I can purchase online (although I prefer, if possible, going to a shop), and it looks completely different on that site and on amazon. Look:

Goulet pens

Amazon

I'd say that the first is better, isn't it? Their site is fantastic. However, their "blue suede" looks very green to me.

Are the colours on Goulet Pens' page accurate? I'm trying to find out how many of the inks in the list I've already made I can purchase online (although I prefer, if possible, going to a shop), and it looks completely different on that site and on amazon. Look:

Goulet pens

Amazon

I'd say that the first is better, isn't it? Their site is fantastic. However, their "blue suede" looks very green to me.

Anderson Pens recently had all their sample cards redone and professionally photographed, and their PR Blue Suede sample looks definitely blue (bluer than the amazon sample in fact):

Link

Oh. That's very blue. I've had a look at the inks they -Anderson Pens- list as "teal", and I would call all of them blue, or greyish blue (with the possible exception of Noodler's General of the Armies, which looks very green in the bottle and teal-ish in the card). I've even gone to the Wikipedia to confirm whether my idea of what teal colour should be is right or not (and they confirm it's something between blue and green). Either my eyesight is very poor, colour-wise, or my screen is very badly calibrated (it's been two years since I last calibrated it with one of those photography calibrators), or there's some other problem going on.

I'm starting to believe the only solution is buying an ink that satisfies me when I actually see a written sample, which limits a lot my choices, since I'll have to stick to those inks in stock at whatever shop I decide to go, providing they have open bottles they can use for customers to see what the ink looks like (I don't know whether this is common practice or not).

Now that The Writing Desk in the UK have started selling samples, that alternative is much more feasible for us in the EU. The shipping costs shouldn't be that terrible if you buy five or ten of them.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

have you looked at some of the teal on ebay? perhaps look at robert oster signature inks robertoster.com and maybe also diamine blue/green range for good ideas.

Now that The Writing Desk in the UK have started selling samples, that alternative is much more feasible for us in the EU. The shipping costs shouldn't be that terrible if you buy five or ten of them.

This is good news. Although they don't have all the inks in the list I've made following your suggestions, I can buy some and try them with my pen, to know exactly what they will look like. I can also try other colours (I've got an orange pen waiting for a nice ink, too).

I think I'm going to order a few samples from The Writing Desk. From the list I made with your suggestions they have Private Reserve Blue Suede, Sheaffer Turquoise, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku and Diamine Steel Blue. I'm going to discard the last one, since Sailor Kenshin said it stains badly, and I ALWAYS stain my fingers and sometimes the table when filling the converter! Do all Diamine inks stain a lot, or only that one? BobR said that PR Blue Suede is easy to clean, but what about the other two, Ku-Jaku and Sheaffer Turquoise? Are their stains specially difficult to clean?

(Unrelated to the topic, but related to my question, I'm also ordering a couple of orange ink samples. Can you tell me whether Diamine's orange inks and Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-Yake are easy to clean? Everything related to red seems to stain a lot!)

• 3 months later...