Quick Review: J. Herbin Café Des Îles

Resolute

Here's one I found interesting. I've only played with J. Herbin's 1670 series of inks, so it was nice to try something a bit more conventional. I had bought an empty bottle just for the style. I'm surprised I was able to get so much leftover ink out of it.

13047811_10101308371504963_4725829151554

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Resolute

• trurl

• Filot Palcon

• Guenther

It seems to fade to a lighter brown with purple undertones toward the end of the page. Is that because of the water/drip test?

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

It seems to fade to a lighter brown with purple undertones toward the end of the page. Is that because of the water/drip test?

I think that end of the paper got overexposed with my crappy cell phone camera. Sorry - I didn't even notice that. The top half most reflects the color, as that's what I was focusing on in Lightroom when I was balancing the image.

UPDATE:

I dumped the ink out of my Pelikan tonight. After sitting in the pen for a while, I started experiencing hard starts. Other times, it would flow with no problem. I've never had this issue with this pen; the ink would come out dry, dense, and dark, and by the third letter in a word it would be back to the normal color. This leads me to think that this ink dries much faster than I had initially thought. I just hope it didn't leave a bunch of residue under the nib, as I can't take apart the M200 nib unit.

UPDATE:

I dumped the ink out of my Pelikan tonight. After sitting in the pen for a while, I started experiencing hard starts. Other times, it would flow with no problem. I've never had this issue with this pen; the ink would come out dry, dense, and dark, and by the third letter in a word it would be back to the normal color. This leads me to think that this ink dries much faster than I had initially thought. I just hope it didn't leave a bunch of residue under the nib, as I can't take apart the M200 nib unit.

Yes, this was pretty much my experience too, some years ago. It used to clog my Sailor, and that's why I ditched it. Too bad that this problem hasn't been solved by Herbin.

Cafe des Iles is a Winner for me.

I find it nicer than Waterman Havana because it lacks the purplish/red tones that I see in Havana.

I´ve used it in a TWSBI Micarta (M) and a Pelikan M800 stub with no problems whatsoever. No hard starts, no skipping anf no tendency to dry out when uncapped.

I have experienced all of those problems with GvFC Hazelnut, which annoys me tremendously because I really, really like that color

Strange experiencing problems with Herbin ink as I have four and they're the wettest easy flow inks I own :/ I actually dedicate Herbins to my finicky dry nibs

• 2 months later...

I have read a couple of "posts" that were not "friendly" toward J. Herbin bottles. I have just started using from my first and only J. Herbin bottle, so I don't know what to expect "later down the road," so to speak. Your opinion about these bottles, please. C. S.

Bottles look pretty, but are a PITA after several fills due to being low and wide. Fine for a dip pen, not for a fountain pen. Still love their inks though.