Following my review for Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, this is my review of another newly released Pelikan ink from the 4001 range: Pelikan Dark Green.

I find it a dark green with slight blue undertones. Certainly not a teal like Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine. More like the colour of Pine tree needles. It reminded me of Montblanc White Forest as soon as I wrote with it, and sure enough it is very similar to that very nice but no longer available 'Seasons greetings' ink. So if you have a hankering for Montblanc White Forest, then Pelikan Dark Green will make a good substitute for it.
I found this a slightly drier ink than the Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, and it dried on my thick, smooth paper in about half of the time. However, it still flowed well enough in my pens to look quite a bit darker when I used broader nibs. It shows some shading and is saturated. It stained my fingers for a while, and that tends to be the case with these dark green/blue inks.
I forgot all about the water test so the ink was covered in water for about 20minutes. I can clearly see there are dark grey/black remains. So it has good water resistance.
I like dark blue-greens like this, so it gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbup:
fpn_1460722170__pelikan_dark_greena.jpgfpn_1460722200__pelikan_dark_greenb.jpg
fpn_1460366203__20160411_0056.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Chrissy

• dms525

• Diderot

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. Sort of confirms everything I said about it. I know that a lot of us don't like it because they were expecting something else, whatever that may have been.... But I like it at least because it is a halfway decent replacement of White Forest (although without the lovely scent):

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nice colour, nice review; thanks.

Can anyone comment whether this one is lighter/darker than the Edelstein Aventurine?

The Dark Green is definitely darker (and bluer) than the Aventurine. Check the comparisons in my review.

Mike

The Dark Green is definitely darker (and bluer) than the Aventurine. Check the comparisons in my review.

Mike

Thanks.

I did read your review for the 1st time after seeing this review, I did see the comparison, but to my great embarrassment, I must have skimmed/not noticed the comparison with Aventurine.

Reason I was asking was because a friend gave me some of the latter and I find it light and a bit dull.

Now, I will certainly try the Dark Green.

As I've commented on reviews of their Brilliant Green, that one was always too pale for me. This one looks better.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thank you for the review. I tried this ink today and I enjoyed it a lot. It seems to be a nice looking ink offering the right mixture of attractivity and seriousness. I would evaluate the shading definitely higher than "I see some". The shading is clearly visible (but not excessive). In my eyes, it is probably the best ink in the 4001 series.

.... it is probably the best ink in the 4001 series.

I'll buy that!

Thanks for this review.

It looks similar to Iroshizuku Syo-ro, which I like. Can some one compare those two inks?

David

I did that in my review. Only one line, third last comparison.

Mike

Looks like a nice quality dark green ink from Pelikan, I am going to have to order a bottle and check it out...thanks for the review!

I did that in my review. Only one line, third last comparison.

Mike

Best I can tell, Pelikan Dark Green and Irosh. Syo-ro are quite similar in color. Definitely to be tried. Thanks!

David

Thanks for this review.

It looks similar to Iroshizuku Syo-ro, which I like. Can some one compare those two inks?

David

When I reviewed P.E. Aquamarine, I compared that ink with P.I. Syo-ro, as i thought it was a good comparison for Aquamarine. So as that swab is on there I decided to include four different comparison colours on this review.

However, I have redone the lower half of the Pelikan Dark Green review form to show a swab comparison of P.I. Syo-ro. It's bluer than Pelikan Dark Green.

fpn_1460881135__pelikan_dark_green2b.jpg

• 1 year later...

I recently loaded it into my Parker Vacumatic, and I LIKE IT :D
It took a little while for the ink to get flowing, then a nice medium dark green. It does have a bit of a blueish tone to it, but it isn't like a blue-green, it is still GREEN. To me, it is close to Waterman Green. I like it better than the Pelikan Brilliant Green, or maybe my old eyes just prefers less bright colors.

I think it will be one of the greens that will be in rotation more, if not permanently inking a pen.
I think I need to get another bottle or two.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 3 weeks later...