Asa "bhau" Eyedropper

WDP4BAAZ

Hello friends ,

Here is the story , how by search for the perfect everyday carry pen comes to the end !

Options considered :

Wality 69T : Issues with nib and feed but good ink carrying capacity

Pelikan M200 : Great piston filler but risk in using it on a shop floor

Chinese pens : Poor ink carrying capacity

Other cartridge/convertor models : Again ink capacity issue

My requirements :

Large ink storage capacity , minimum 2 ml - have to go for an eyedropper

Simple to maintain and clean - Again an eyedropper

Full burp free performance - Have to for for a Schmidt nib unit

Materials preferred - Combination of ebonite and acrylic

No surprises for ink levels - Have to go for a demonstrator

Sturdy and reliable - Have to go for our well known brand i.e. ASA from Chennai, India as pen is going to be used on shop floor and not in an air conditioned office

After discussion with Mr Subramanium of ASA pens , he gladly accepted my request to manufacture my first custom pen

And finally here is the outcome : ASA " Bhau" eyedropper

The word "Bhau" means "Big brother" in Marathi language ,

The design is inspired from ASA genius pen

Design :

Cap : Rounded cap with simple teardrop chrome clip . Cap posts nicely

Barrel : Full transparent lathe turned barrel for checking ink level

Section : Green swirled ebonite section of dia 11 mm

Nib and feed : Renowned Schmidt medium nib unit for burp free performance

Conclusion : Enjoying spectacular craftsmanship of ASA once again

Hope you all will enjoy this review

Awaiting comments from you all as usual ,

Regards ,

BAAZ

post-104009-0-97266500-1460660736_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-63661200-1460660977_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-40507600-1460661284_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-65372300-1460661487_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-90355900-1460661542_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-74105100-1460661704_thumb.jpg

post-104009-0-46367200-1460662061_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WDP4BAAZ

• bbbiswas

• mehandiratta

• thekraitmusic

I like it. Please update after some use and report on any issues or lack there of with burping.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Nice review.....awesome pen. But It's not showing on Asa site.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Very nice, I've been looking at the asa maven as that has a clear acrylic end so you can check the ink level. It may just be the photos but are the barrel walls relatively thin compared to the wality and other eydroppers?

I was wondering i this could affect burping as heat will be conducted quicker as there is less mass. However having used my Indian eyedropper a lot recently i am beginning to think burping is caused more by writing style. When taking quick notes there is no time for the feed to be saturated and burping to start.

Thanks for the pics and review

Thanks, there is only slight difference in barrel wall thickness as compared with Wality

Hi Baaz,

Nice pen, nice development story and nice review :) Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a Galactic with Jowo nib & feed served you even better ?

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Thanks Prithwijit for reading review and comments. Yes, I have also got Galactic small from Asa but due to my small hands ,myself and Subbu done this custom job

Regard ,

Baaz

Hello friends ,

Here is the story , how by search for the perfect everyday carry pen comes to the end !

Options considered :

Wality 69T : Issues with nib and feed but good ink carrying capacity

Pelikan M200 : Great piston filler but risk in using it on a shop floor

Chinese pens : Poor ink carrying capacity

Other cartridge/convertor models : Again ink capacity issue

My requirements :

Large ink storage capacity , minimum 2 ml - have to go for an eyedropper

Simple to maintain and clean - Again an eyedropper

Full burp free performance - Have to for for a Schmidt nib unit

Materials preferred - Combination of ebonite and acrylic

No surprises for ink levels - Have to go for a demonstrator

Sturdy and reliable - Have to go for our well known brand i.e. ASA from Chennai, India as pen is going to be used on shop floor and not in an air conditioned office

After discussion with Mr Subramanium of ASA pens , he gladly accepted my request to manufacture my first custom pen

And finally here is the outcome : ASA " Bhau" eyedropper

The word "Bhau" means "Big brother" in Marathi language ,

The design is inspired from ASA genius pen

Design :

Cap : Rounded cap with simple teardrop chrome clip . Cap posts nicely

Barrel : Full transparent lathe turned barrel for checking ink level

Section : Green swirled ebonite section of dia 11 mm

Nib and feed : Renowned Schmidt medium nib unit for burp free performance

Conclusion : Enjoying spectacular craftsmanship of ASA once again

Hope you all will enjoy this review

Awaiting comments from you all as usual ,

Regards ,

BAAZ

Please tell how much did it cost (excluding shipping).

• 2 months later...

I have been using Wality pens for long...main problem is their nib feed combo sometimes get unpredictable. ..the nibs are scratchy to start with but can be made very smooth with patient mesh work...we don't have Myler paper or proper mesh sizes here in India easily...i use 4 sided nail files and one piece of marbel for smoothening...the Burping is mostly due to setting problem of feed and nib...heat setting them mostly corrects that...or changing the feed ....and obviously ink level should be maintained more towards top level to minimise burping with non German nib feed...Ranga pens don't burp even with wality nib feed...

• 4 years later...

Hi Baaz. Somehow I had missed this review of yours. How are you and how has the Bhau held up to use?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.