Sheaffer Snorkel Color Identification: Peacock?

ELSpartan44

Just received the 2nd and 3rd pens. Never have had a blue Snorkel, so unsure of the color of the 3rd, From left to right: Black Imperial, Pastel Blue Snorkel (?), Peacock Blue Snorkel (?), Pastel Green Snorkel, Persian Blue TD, Black Snorkel. Other pens are for reference, since I don't have a fancy lighting setup. (Picture taken in artificial light)

fpn_1460595140__0413162037.jpg

Following Picture is natural light:

fpn_1460595923__0413161708.jpg

Got both of the blues off eBay, where they both looked like Peacock (the seller was clueless when I asked). The one I think is peacock just doesn't seem to be as vibrant as from pictures I've seen online, so I'm not really sure. Got both in pretty good, but not restored, condition for cheap so I guess I can't really complain. If it really is Peacock, it took me less than 15 minutes of searching eBay to find it... not exactly what I expected for "rare." Missed out on mint condition sage and fern green sets a couple days ago...

Would people who have been collecting Snorkels for more the two weeks or so that I have been say that the color rarity ratings here are correct (or maybe just outdated, no offence intended)? http://(bleep).com/website/sheaffersnorkelguide.htm

Haven't seen vermillion, Fiesta red, mandarin, periwinkle, buckskin, or demonstrator over that span, while searching extensively. Granted, I'm cheap and would rather find them on eBay than get them from a professional.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ELSpartan44

• 3rdlakerobert

• Roger W.

• inkstainedruth

Haven't seen vermillion, Fiesta red, mandarin, periwinkle, buckskin, or demonstrator over that span, while searching extensively. Granted, I'm cheap and would rather find them on eBay than get them from a professional.

Spoke too soon. This will go out of my price range, so heads up to any other collectors:

Mandarin Sentinel (Unrestored, but possibly near mint): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sheaffer-Snorkle-White-Dot-Fountain-Pen-14kt-Nib-Mandarin-Orange-Unused-/301928732070?hash=item464c5ad5a6:g:K1EAAOSw2GlXDsXt

Vermillion (Pencil only, Chalked): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Clipper-or-Sentinel-Pencil-Vermilion-Red-New-Old-Stock-w-Box-Chalk-Mark-/361448779032?hash=item542806ad18:g:ip8AAOSwnipWbYPy

Edited by ELSpartan44

I can't say for Peacock. I've got one that I think is Pastel Blue (Aqua?).

As for the rarity of specific colors, the link to the (bleep) article isn't working (I got a 404 error code when I tried to click on the link); I can't say beyond that, other that a Fiesta Red one with some relatively exotic nib came up in the Saturday auction last fall at Ohio Pen Show, and I knew from the get-go that there was no point in me even attempting to bid.... :wallbash: I don't remember what it ended up going for, but let's just say it was way beyond my price point (the most I've ever paid for an unrestored Snorkel (all of mine were found in the wild) was $50 US for the blue one, which has an EF nib on it -- I was told by the people in the antiques mall where I bought it that the seller told them it was working... only maybe not so much... :glare:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'd say your guesses are correct concerning the blue Snorkels. The more greenish one is peacock. Well done!

I've read the article on relative scarcity of Snorkels and accept his conclusions regarding "cachet." I think he concludes that fern green is one of the most, if not the most, scarce, and this recent eBay auction result tends to confirm that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322063587080?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I collect Snorkels and have had trouble finding peacock on eBay due to the photography issues. I've been looking for a vermillion for months without success. In case you find another peacock, I have a fiesta Clipper to trade.

Like you I'm a newcomer. I started collecting Snorkels about 6 months ago, and among my successes are many gold-tube and script-nib examples, which aren't especially rare, but I like them. More difficult were the black Statesman reverse trim; mandarin, buckskin, and sage chalked p&p sets; mint fiesta Clipper p&p set, and mint fern green and mint periwinkle Valiants. I also have Clipper/Sentinel triple sets that include the clicker ballpoints in pastel blue, burgundy, and black. I think the clicker ballpoints are rare (BTW, they probably weren't sold as triple sets).

[edit to add] I also have and Autograph p&p set and a black and a burgundy Signature.

Snorkel collections are so common these days, but if people would like to do show and tell, I'd post pics.

Edited by Robert111

The seller of the vermillion pencil is incorrect in calling it a Sentinel or Clipper. It's a Sovereign. They didn't make a vermillion pen in the higher priced models.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Snorkcolor1.jpg

If it doesn't look pastel blue the next choice is peacock, The hardest color is full fiesta red followed by fern green. Peacock, periwinkle, mandarin and vermilion are middlin hard and buckskin and new burgundy are pretty easy. I think buckskin was fairly popular in the late 50's and doesn't really appeal today so it is almost common.

Roger W.

Nice, Roger. Does your fiesta have a black or fiesta section?

Here are my best (I left out some matching pencils in order to include more of the interesting stuff):

post-82790-0-85061600-1460644164_thumb.jpg

1,2,3 Sage Statesman p&p, Admiral (sage sections, script nib)

4 fern Valiant

5 pastel blue Statesman (blue section, script nib)

6 periwinkle Valiant

7 buckskin Valiant

8,9 fiesta Clipper p&pl

10,11 mandarin Valiant p&p

12 burgundy Signature

13 black signature

14 black Autograph

15 black Statesman (reverse trim)

16,17,18 burgundy Statesman p&p w/clicker

19,20,21 pastel blue Clipper p&p w/clicker

22,23,24 black Sentinel p&p w/clicker

Robert;

My fiesta does have the matching red section. I also have the 14K plate, 14K solid and 9K solid. One day I may add the 18K solid.

Roger W.

Yes, Pastel Blue Saratoga and Peacock Blue Valiant

I'm not,sure whether it makes a difference in determining the color (can't remember offhand what models came in what colors), but it's actually a PdAg nib, so not valiant, but statesman. It is difficult to tell by the way I took the picture.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Snorkcolor1.jpg

If it doesn't look pastel blue the next choice is peacock, The hardest color is full fiesta red followed by fern green. Peacock, periwinkle, mandarin and vermilion are middlin hard and buckskin and new burgundy are pretty easy. I think buckskin was fairly popular in the late 50's and doesn't really appeal today so it is almost common.

Roger W.

Thanks. It seems really odd to me that I'm having a tough time finding buckskin. Came across a single listing for "gray" that might be it, but priced way too high for me to gamble on it. Would you recommend only buying fiesta/vermilion (whichever I need last) in person, just because it would be impossible to tell otherwise?

I'd say your guesses are correct concerning the blue Snorkels. The more greenish one is peacock. Well done!

I've read the article on relative scarcity of Snorkels and accept his conclusions regarding "cachet." I think he concludes that fern green is one of the most, if not the most, scarce, and this recent eBay auction result tends to confirm that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322063587080?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I collect Snorkels and have had trouble finding peacock on eBay due to the photography issues. I've been looking for a vermillion for months without success. In case you find another peacock, I have a fiesta Clipper to trade.

Like you I'm a newcomer. I started collecting Snorkels about 6 months ago, and among my successes are many gold-tube and script-nib examples, which aren't especially rare, but I like them. More difficult were the black Statesman reverse trim; mandarin, buckskin, and sage chalked p&p sets; mint fiesta Clipper p&p set, and mint fern green and mint periwinkle Valiants. I also have Clipper/Sentinel triple sets that include the clicker ballpoints in pastel blue, burgundy, and black. I think the clicker ballpoints are rare (BTW, they probably weren't sold as triple sets).

[edit to add] I also have and Autograph p&p set and a black and a burgundy Signature.

Snorkel collections are so common these days, but if people would like to do show and tell, I'd post pics.

I'm selfish, and there is, in my opinion, at least one of the difficult items you just listed on eBay right now. Plus one rare and interesting one you didn't mention. If it gets closer to the ending time and I can't be competitive, I'll give you a heads up. And a note on that, in each case the seller doesn't know what they have and listed it wrong. Edited by ELSpartan44

Okay, I don't collect Snorkels, per se, although I have accumulated a few at this point. So what is "reverse trim"? I think my blue one and the black one with the factory stub are both Statesman models (the grey one and the other black one are Valiants). Sadly, someone "helped" repair the grey one and they swapped out the gold tube and the sac and sleeve on me, rather than actually repairing it -- or, more importantly, showing me how to do it myself.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Robert;

My fiesta does have the matching red section. I also have the 14K plate, 14K solid and 9K solid. One day I may add the 18K solid.

Roger W.

A photo of these would be really lovely.

Reverse trim -

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/snorkel%20chrome.jpg

The background doesn't help them look chrome. Sam Marshall, that did all the work so that we know what the colors are, hated these as there was no documentation for them at all. Sam and I were chasing down what colors existed as nobody knew 15 years ago. There are rumored pens I've never seen - white, canary, sterling and flighter. I think we know what they all are now but, it was fun chasing them then. Sam had all of the models in all variations in three large cases. I'm sorry he is no longer with us.

Roger W.

I'm not,sure whether it makes a difference in determining the color (can't remember offhand what models came in what colors), but it's actually a PdAg nib, so not valiant, but statesman. It is difficult to tell by the way I took the picture.

Sorry, I made a mistake, peacock blue Statesman. :glare:

Reverse trim -

The background doesn't help them look chrome. Sam Marshall, that did all the work so that we know what the colors are, hated these as there was no documentation for them at all. Sam and I were chasing down what colors existed as nobody knew 15 years ago. There are rumored pens I've never seen - white, canary, sterling and flighter. I think we know what they all are now but, it was fun chasing them then. Sam had all of the models in all variations in three large cases. I'm sorry he is no longer with us.

Roger W.

Yes, I refer to his article in Pennant (Summer 2002) all the time. I think you refer to the table with model and color data. BTW, the Pen Collectors of America (PCA) library is a wonderful source for pen information. Not only do they provide back issues of Pennant but also a large collection of Sheaffer catalogs and other company publications.

Yes, I refer to his article in Pennant (Summer 2002) all the time. I think you refer to the table with model and color data. BTW, the Pen Collectors of America (PCA) library is a wonderful source for pen information. Not only do they provide back issues of Pennant but also a large collection of Sheaffer catalogs and other company publications.

Slightly off the original topic, but exactly on topic per the second half of your comment: The PCA library is a tremendous resource, and the PCA is a tremendous organization. The cost to join/ belong is a pittance (especially considering what most of us spend on pens,) and provides access to the library, plus subscription the the Pennant, and other benefits. To all: JOIN if you haven't already!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I was surprised to see the links for the manderin sheaffer snorkel, just won both of them - the statesman set that was listed as coral and the sentinel fountain pen that was listed as correct color, they are in beautiful condition and glad to add to my collection! I have these and the sage green set.