Flex Nib In Vacumatic?

cchukan
Rate Topic 0

Hello,

Looking at buying my very first vintage pen...

I'm currently looking at Vacumatic but having a difficult time finding one with a flex nib.

So my question is, can I buy a vacumatic pen and swap it out with a parker flex nib?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cchukan

• penmanila

• Beechwood

• Zed

Top Posters In This Topic

you could, but i should tell you (as a long-time vac collector who's owned about a hundred of them) that flexible nibs are pretty hard to find in vacs, and i just have three or four of them that i'd call flexible in my whole collection.

also, vac nib sizes will differ from model to model--and there was a multitude of vacumatic models made--so a simple swap may not always be possible, especially if you want to go for correctness not just in size but also in model. good luck!

Check out my blog and my pens

A nib from an English Parker Duofold works very well, the nib has some flex, a softer feel and is available in a range of nib points. The pen below was modified by Parker in 1951 and is a joy to use.

Edited by Beechwood

My therapist has told me that a great way to let go of your anger is to write letters to people you hate and then burn them.

I must check back with him because he didn’t say what I should do with the letters.

I'd say look out for Canadian made vacumatics - many of those have pretty flexible nibs.

inkstainedruth

It's my understanding that it's somewhat unusual to find vintage Parkers of any flavor (I was going to say any stripe ;)) with nibs that flex. I got fairly lucky at Ohio Pen Show and got a blue striped Duofold (button filler) with a semi-flex oblique nib (not sure if it's an OF or an OM). But most of my vintage Parkers are nails. That makes the blue Duofold even more fun.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."