Chrissy

First of all I must apologise as this ink should have been launched at the same time as the other Diamine new colour: Classic Green, that The Good Captain launched in his excellent review.

However, due to me having been laid very low by a bacterial stomach infection, I'm late on parade with this review. Still, the show must go on, so I have written with this ink a few times and finally managed to get the review form done and scanned. So I'm back in bed with my trusty MacBook typing this.
As many of you will know, Oxford Blue has to be a dark blue. That is Oxford University's team colour, whereas Cambridge University's colour is light blue. This is a fabulous dark blue. When I wrote with it, I thought I knew of several dark blues that I could use as comparisons to it, but when I actually came to find similar colours, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Oxford Blue is more blue than Montblanc JFK Navy Blue, and it's darker than Diamine Midnight. It's a well saturated really dark blue, with plenty of shading. I'm sure it will be a popular colour. I really like it. I'm not sure of the exact launch date, but it's not too far away.

• This isn't a waterproof ink, but it has good water resistance. The water was on the grid for about 1 minute before being swabbed and blotted by kitchen roll.
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny, smooth surface, and I used a Lamy F and 1.1mm nib, this ink took 12-16 secs to dry.
  • It flows very well and lubricates the nib very well. I saw no skips or hard starts despite leaving the pen uncapped while I did all of the swab tests.
  • I'm not 100% sure yet if it will be part of the standard range, but I think it will. If it is, it will be available in 80ml glass bottles and 30ml plastic refill bottles
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

fpn_1460172731__diamine_oxford_blue1.jpg

fpn_1460209735__diamine_oxford_blue2.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• radellaf

• jmccarty3

• Diderot

Thanks for the dry smudge comment. To me it seems to be a 'true blue' rather than having a tinge of green or violet, a pleasant blue.

Nice review, nice colour. I shall get 30mls and see how get on.

Thanks.

ps does it stain?

Edited by Diderot

Interesting. Along one short stretch of highway in North Carolina, two universities share a similar blue color dichotomy. At one end of US 15-501, in Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina's team color is a light sky blue. At the other end of 15-501 in Durham, 20 minutes away, Duke University's team color is dark blue.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thanks for the nice review. I'll probably give it a try.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It's a bit too generic to warrant buying a bottle. And the Bungbox 4B in the comparison looks nothing like my bottles. Very washed out. Mine are much darker.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Great review, Chrissy, and your comparison of the ink in different nib sizes is very useful. Thank you for investing your time in this.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Very nice review. Honestly, it just doesn't intrigue me enough to buy a bottle.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Another great review of a very pleasant ink - right in my colour range too. I'll get a bottle anyway but it's like a lot of my other 'blues' so it might not get a whole lot of use. We'll see.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Nice review, nice colour. I shall get 30mls and see how get on.

Thanks.

ps does it stain?

It didn't stain my Lamy converters, but it took a couple of washes with bar type soap to get it off my thumb. :)

Thanks, Chrissy. What is the difference, then, between this and the Midnight? I can't really see a difference here.

I don't see this on the Diamine web site. Has it been released yet?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thanks, Chrissy. What is the difference, then, between this and the Midnight? I can't really see a difference here.

It's darker than Midnight. Maybe 2am. :D

..... but it took a couple of washes with bar type soap to get it off my thumb. :)

I can live with that, thanks for getting back.