Anthony95

My Lamy Dark Lilac (cartridges) arrived this morning. It is a gorgeous colour. I'm finding the gold sheen I've seen in one pic rather elusive. I think I may get a bottle from Sweden (the Special Edition bottles are just not available in the UK). Anthony95, if I get a bottle, I'm happy to send you a sample if you want.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anthony95

• AndyYNWA

• ENewton

• gryphon1911

Strange that the Lamy Dark Lilac in bottle is available in Sweden and not the rest of Europe. Sweden is usually a 3rd world country when it comes to fountain pens and accessories.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I think a sample will just make me all the sadder that I can't have it. :( And I'm agreed Andy very strange few folks in Germany having problems which is bizarre given that it's lamy. Have a bottle of MB lavender purple en route :)

Surely ​there must have been an Inky TOD somewhere in this forum. This is too much an important to be neglected

Strange that the Lamy Dark Lilac in bottle is available in Sweden and not the rest of Europe. Sweden is usually a 3rd world country when it comes to fountain pens and accessories.

Andy,

Is your flag pic a real flag, or editted/Photoshopped? I can't remember seeing that color scheme for any Scandinavian countries (maybe it's a municipal or other flag)?

Andy,

Is your flag pic a real flag, or editted/Photoshopped? I can't remember seeing that color scheme for any Scandinavian countries (maybe it's a municipal or other flag)?

I believe it's a flag used in border areas between Finland and Sweden.

Andy,

Craig,

It's a real flag. It's the flag of Skåne (Scania), the southernmost region of Sweden.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rr7vG1ENi9u

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I inked up this ink in a fine nib Japanese pen and the ink looks pale on both Tomoe River and printer paper.

I'll get rid of this ink.

You and them fine nibs! Get yourself a medium or broad, for once. Perhaps, in the form of a Platinum Preppy? You may want to keep the color then.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

• 1 month later...

I inked up this ink in a fine nib Japanese pen and the ink looks pale on both Tomoe River and printer paper.

I'll get rid of this ink.

That's odd. It was rather vibrant on printer paper as well as Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Maruman papers for me.

Did you remember to shake the bottle before inking?

Edited by gryphon1911

Purples I've tried:

Iroshizuku Yama Budo (less purple, more magenta, gorgeous gold sheen) - A+

Mont Blanc Lavender Purple (reddish purple, no visible sheen, lovely shading) - B+

Lamy Dark Lilac (perfect purple, gold sheen, moderate shading) - A

Diamine Tyrian Purple (reddish purple, no sheen, shading) - C

Bung Box Ink of the Witch (black purple, no sheen, no shading) - B+

Yama Budo and Lavender Purple were both the best behaved. I liked the color and vibrancy of Yama Budo and Dark Lilac best. Tyrian Purple looks slightly insipid next to the others. Tone-wise, it's very similar to Lavender Purple, but less...something. It's hard to describe. Ink of the Witch is cool, but not what I'd use if I were looking for "purple" without qualifiers.

If you can get it, Lamy Dark Lilac is the way to go. Reasonably well behaved (though not as well behaved as the Mont Blanc or Iroshizuku--some people with sweaty hands get smearing when the ink is dry due to saturation) and a perfect, gorgeous purple. The gold sheen is lovely. I ordered an extra bottle, so a friend can address her wedding invitations with it.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

What about Diamine Grape?

I love the color, but the ink won't flow in most of my pens. It is the only ink that has ever given me trouble, in more than twenty years of consistent fountain pen use. I can use it with a dip pen or in my Monteverde stub.

Other people have complained of staining, but Grape hasn't stained my Monteverde converter. With other pens, I have always ended up flushing after a day or two, so I cannot comment on whether Grape would have stained those converters had it been in contact with them for a longer time.

A customer service person working for a well known US supplier suggested De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton as a freer flowing substitute for Grape. I have not tried it yet.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sailor Shigure, it's my favorite purple ink.

Check out the purple thread in my signature line. We have lots of purples to show you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY