Anthony95

I have a large collection of ink, but only one purple :( must be remedied! :D. The purple I have is waterman, can anyone recommend something with a touch more red? Has anyone used diamine imperial or MB violet? If so do you think these might fit the bill. Any suggestions welcome :) I'm in the UK so noodlers and PR are harder to procure. Thank ye all :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anthony95

• AndyYNWA

• ENewton

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Monblanc Lavender Purple is one of my favorite inks, and the one I use regularly in all my older pens.

Edited by ENewton

Montblanc Lavender Purple rocks. I love it. It adds smoothness to mediocre nibs and the fast colour transition (it is a purplish magenta when you write and a dark deep purple when it is dry) is wonderful. And it is reasonably priced, you get it in a high praised Montblanc shoe bottle. I adore it - and I'm not a huge fan of purples.

Here's a sample:

imag0266.jpg?w=1160

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

Thanks :D that lavender purple has somewhat caught my attention now to see if I can find a bottle :)

I'm a fan of Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu for a light (not pale) purple.

My all time favorite purple is one that is discontinued, MB Violet, which is what was replaced by the above suggestion (though they're not really that close in color, so a poor substitute IMO)

If you want something darker, verging on black, Diamine Aubergine is a nice color, though it looks very similar to MB Lavender.

If you want a bright purple, and are ok with scents, de Atramentis Violets is a nice solid purple.

Something more bluish would be PR D.C. Show Violet.

Something more red would be Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst.

A nice dusty purple to me are J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, Kaweco Summer Purple, and one of the KWZ regular inks based on the scans I've seen.

A nice pale purple would be Toucan Violet.

And if you don't mind living dangerously, Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape. (anything with "Baystate" from Nooder's scares me! Though this doesn't seem to be as horridly stain-y as the Blue)

Edited by naimitsu

Have you tried mixing your own ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sailor Joyful Honda Purple Heart

Sailor Pen & Message San-Ya-Sou

Sailor Shigure

Sailor Sankodo Nishikisan Black Purple

Sailor Bungbox Ink of the witch

Edit: if Noodlers is difficult, this would be too. I'm sorry.

Pelikan Amethyst

Diamine Lavender

Diamine Majestic Purple

J. herbin Poussiere de lune

R&K alt-Bordeaux

R&K scabiosa

Edited by Mew

Have you tried mixing your own ?

Have tried but never been truly happy enough with the results.

Sailor Joyful Honda Purple Heart

Sailor Pen & Message San-Ya-Sou

Sailor Shigure

Sailor Sankodo Nishikisan Black Purple

Sailor Bungbox Ink of the witch

Edit: if Noodlers is difficult, this would be too. I'm sorry.

Pelikan Amethyst

Diamine Lavender

Diamine Majestic Purple

J. herbin Poussiere de lune

R&K alt-Bordeaux

R&K scabiosa

Looking into getting a few edelstein inks if I can find for a good price :) also like the look of diamine lavender. Sailor is very accessible but also rather expensive.

While looking for other inks you could add some Waterman red to the purple. I have full set of waterman for just that reason. Can also use Sheaffer as it is safe and mixes well.

There is a section or forum here for recipes, some back in 2007-9 have some fun mixes with standard inks. Also gives ideas for mixes you might want to try. I'm fond of Richard Binder's Blurple and a Waterman mix of blue and the green. A pretty teal you can move more green or blue. These mixes can be safely used in expensive or vintage pens

I like Edelstein Amethyst, which should still be relatively easy to find, and J Herbin Poussière de Lune. The pictures of MB Lavender Purple I've seen on the internet look lovely too, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying it. My favourite purple ink, however, is Nagasawa Monet Violet (by Sailor), which is quite hard to get now.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Oh thank you for posting this question! Very topical for me, I ran across a thread about French school paper and the violet ink used and I started thinking I gotta get some purple/violet ink.

So thank you to everyone who replied too!

Quote: Do the thing you think you cannot do - Eleanor Roosevelt. Song: Our House - CSN&Y or Madness

Oh thank you for posting this question! Very topical for me, I ran across a thread about French school paper and the violet ink used and I started thinking I gotta get some purple/violet ink.

So thank you to everyone who replied too!

That would likely be J Herbin Violette Pensee...watercolory, but lovely hue.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

This one maybe...?

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/AndyYNWA/Misc/LamyDarkLilac_zpswzvutfft.jpg

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Diamine Tyrian Purple.

And if you're into iron gall inks at all, I will recommend KWZI IG Violet #3, which is just yummy....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This one maybe...?

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/AndyYNWA/Misc/LamyDarkLilac_zpswzvutfft.jpg

I love that colour it was the one that really inspired me to try and find a new purple, it's like gold dust here lol :(

Also a little of topic, how are you finding the custom 74, it's also on my shopping list? :)

Edited by Anthony95

De Atramentis Aubergine

KWZ IG violet #3 or IG gummiberry

Kobe #32 Tamon Purple Grey

are a few of the ones i like.