Montblanc Heritage Collection, Serpent Limited Edition Writing Instruments

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,

Please find below the full press release of the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Serpent Limited Edition Writing Instruments.

Exploring The Summit Of High Artistry: Montblanc Heritage Collection Rouge & Noir, The Serpent Limited Edition Writing Instruments

High jewellery masterpieces from the Montblanc Atelier bring together the finest know-how and fearless creativity

For over a century, Montblanc has nurtured the traditional expertise of its artisans while introducing high precision and high technology tools to facilitate the creation of masterpieces that boldly push creative and technical boundaries. The absolute mastery of the métiers d’arts at the Montblanc Atelier allows the Maison to offer unparalleled pieces of virtuoso craftsmanship, bringing together the finest stone cutting, gem-setting, engraving and gold nib crafting techniques. Technical virtuosity and boundless artistry come together in the new Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Serpent editions, an exclusive collection of high jewellery writing instruments that explores innovative manufacturing techniques and sets new records, to celebrate the pioneering spirit synonymous with Montblanc since 1906.

A symbol of life and rebirth, the serpent has been an object of desire and fascination through the ages. A recurring motif in art and design, the mysterious creature was a rich source of inspiration during the Art Nouveau and Art Deco period.fpn_1459813177__le1s.jpg

fpn_1459813291__le1s-vert.png
As a tribute to the design of the serpent clip of the Montblanc 1920s writing instrument, the creature takes centre stage in the collection, sensually uncoiling its skin of precious metals and fine stones, evoking the creative vitality that continues to define Montblanc’s passion for the finest craftsmanship. Limited to just one piece worldwide and with a price of € 1.2 million, the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Ultimate Serpent Limited Edition 1 masterfully combines the finest materials with the most expert techniques to push the limits of craftsmanship. A special method developed by Montblanc allows the approx. 6,15ct Montblanc Diamond that crowns the writing instrument to enjoy greater visibility and reflect more light. By reducing the amount of metal that holds the radiant stone in place by expertly pressing the stone into a heated setting with a special tool, the diamond with its IF grade clarity and no fluorescence can be admired in its entirety.

The body of the writing instrument and the serpent that entwines it are made from a single, solid piece of Au750 rose gold. Weighing over 130g in total, this one-of-a-kind masterpiece features 99g of gold, the most amount of gold ever used in the manufacturing of a Montblanc fountain pen. In a display of gem-setting brilliance, the cap and barrel are set in full pavée with approx. 1950 or 15,34ct of dark blue sapphires, a precious backdrop for the mesmerizing serpent that entwines the body of the writing instrument decorated with a profusion of 153 individually-cut geometric diamonds. The skin of the snake is a masterpiece of engraving art, executed by the hand of the most accomplished engravers without any machine operation. When the writing instrument is closed, the serpent can be seen starting with the head on the clip, then winding down to the end of the cone. Once the cap is removed, a second serpent becomes visible, with the head starting on the nib and once again ending on the cone. The solid Au750 rose gold nib is decorated with an engraving of the snake’s head, with two rubies of the finest quality, skilfully set to illuminate the eyes of the serpent.

The extravagant motif of the serpent, intricately crafted in fine materials against the backdrop of the writing instrument has inspired further limited editions.

fpn_1459813644__le3s.jpg

fpn_1459814242__le3s-vert.png

The Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Imperial Serpent Limited Edition 3 features the undulating creature engraved in solid white ruthenium-coated gold filigree, set with 55 individually cut diamonds and 106 sapphires to give the snake its sumptuous texture against the grey surface of the writing instrument. Limited to just three pieces, the cap and barrel of the writing instrument are hand engraved with an enthralling snakeskin design finished in grey ruthenium, while the crown is adorned with a 2,25ct Montblanc Diamond with IF grade clarity. Hypnotic and seductive, the serpent’s green eyes stand out on both the clip and the engraved Au750 solid gold nib, cut from fine tsavorites.

fpn_1459814423__le10s.jpg

fpn_1459814461__le10s-vert.png

The Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Royal Serpent Limited Edition 10 combines the grey PVD-coated snakeskin motif with a cone, crown and fittings crafted from solid white gold. The serpent, elegantly swirling around the fountain pen, is set with individually cut diamonds and rubies, while the Montblanc emblem set with an elegant pavé of 72 diamonds majestically crowns the writing instrument.

Completing the collection and inspired by the mystery and symbolism of the serpent, the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Serpent Limited Edition 110 is made of PVD coated titanium in a sophisticated graphite colour, with the winding hand-engraved serpent crafted from Au750 solid white gold.

fpn_1459814540__le110s.jpg

fpn_1459814609__le110s-vert.png

The texture of the hand-engraved serpent with its fine scales contrasts with the shininess of the satin finishes and the white gold fittings in a demonstration the most skilled craftsmanship and technical agility. Shining brightly, the captivating eyes of the snake stand out in red rubies on both the clip and the Au750 white gold nib of the writing instrument. Breathing life into the creature, the clip features a flexible tongue like a real hissing serpent. Limited to just 110 pieces as a tribute to the Maison’s milestone anniversary, the Montblanc emblem is crafted from mother-of-pearl embedded in bright coral and ivory coloured resin.

Like the serpent that sheds its skin to renew itself, the Montblanc Heritage Collection, Rouge & Noir, The Serpent Limited Editions underscore Montblanc’s pursuit of excellence, rethinking the rules of craftsmanship since 1906 with extraordinary pieces.

fpn_1459814654__le110s-02.jpg

About Montblanc
Guided by the pioneering spirit since 1906, Montblanc revolutionized the culture of writing with breakthrough innovations. Today, the Maison continues to push boundaries and evolve the expression of fine craftsmanship across each of its product categories: the pinnacle of luxury writing instruments, timepieces, leather goods, accessories, fragrances and eyewear. With every innovation, Montblanc offers new functionalities and groundbreaking designs imbued with the Maison’s heritage of sophistication and crafted to the highest standards through the skills of its artisans in each of its manufactures. Reflecting its ongoing mission with fine lifetime companions born from the most pioneering ideas, the iconic Montblanc Emblem has become the ultimate seal of performance, innovation, quality and expression of style. With its origins deeply rooted in the culture of handwriting, Montblanc has set an international standard of cultural commitment, with the creation of wide-ranging initiatives to promote arts and culture in many forms, while paying tribute to the modern day patrons who support the advancement of the arts.

Note: Images were edited to fit.

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• SE1980

• Mastiff

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and in the flesh they are even prettier. The craftsmanship is absolutely and awesomely stunning.

I was actually allowed to hold them and admire them during my visit at Montblanc HWQ 2 1/2 weeks ago, wearing special gloves and all that :). I was almost forced to handle them - I was a bit weary, imagine accidentally dropping one of these pens :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

What's with all the special/limited edition Heritage pens surfacing? Is it some sort of anniversary? :D

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

What's with all the special/limited edition Heritage pens surfacing? Is it some sort of anniversary? :D

Hmmm. Let me think. When did Montblanc start as a company? 1906 I think, and it was called Simplo back then, isn't that right? About 110 years ago? ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hmmm. Let me think. When did Montblanc start as a company? 1906 I think, and it was called Simplo back then, isn't that right? About 110 years ago? ;).

Warm regards, Wim

Ahh yes I heard about the Simplo and also heard that it was made from hard rubber or something. Wow so these are commemorating MB's 110 years!

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Stunning!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Ahh yes I heard about the Simplo and also heard that it was made from hard rubber or something. Wow so these are commemorating MB's 110 years!

Yes, exactly :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I think you'd have to be the Queen of England not to look out of place using these pens.

Shows how different people have different tastes - serious bling and not in a good way. Sort of thing you'd expect certain wives around Cheshire to be using.

Shows how different people have different tastes - serious bling and not in a good way. Sort of thing you'd expect certain wives around Cheshire to be using.

It's all relative. :)

Seeing those pens for real makes one look at it differently. They are true pieces of art, and I would reckon the LE1, 3, and 10 would probably not be used at all, or maybe just once or so, to sign a very important document. The 110 is more halfway. Not cheap either, but is likely to be used more on a regular basis :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Montblanc is doing a Montegrappa, balancing between camp and kitsch. A pity, after the beautiful Heritage Rouge et Noir, I expected something more classic.

I do definitely think there is a market for this and selling these would be quite profitable. Just as much as first class and business tickets are far more profitable for the company than selling cheap economy tickets. I think this is a great business strategy.

I do definitely think there is a market for this and selling these would be quite profitable. Just as much as first class and business tickets are far more profitable for the company than selling cheap economy tickets. I think this is a great business strategy.

Considering how the Artisan Atelier has grown over the years, and how it contributes to new developments for other pens as well, I totally agree.

It is not just about bling and jewelry, which is an art in itself, but also about new developments and methods for pen making and new pen materials. From that POV it is the F1 of pen making :). Eventually new developments find their ways from F1 into "normal" cars, the same comparison can actually be drawn here for (fountain) pens.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

It actually feels very comfortable, but I obviously didn't write with any of these, I only held them, wearing special gloves :).

Generally speaking, heavy pens are comfortable to write with, provided you don't grip it :). Just let it walk over the paper without and pressure at all, it almost does the writing for you.

In short, absolutely don't give it to a ball point only death grip type writer. :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I was thinking of the feel of the uneven surface, especially with significant weight. Weight itself doesn't bother my large hands at all. I have never held, with gloves or otherwise, a pen that was not mostly smooth on its exterior (other than the clip, which with posted pens I make sure is rotated away from my hand).

I don't think you actually feel that. I have one of the art series of pens by Stipula, it is very big, heavy, with lots of protrusions/extrusions, but you don't notice that when writing with it, which I indeed do :). You hold it by the section, and it just glides effortlessly over the paper. No pressure applied, you don't even need to grip it, just hold it.

Ok, it is not as heavy as one of these, at 65.4 grams, but heavy enough :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Yes, exactly :).

Warm regards, Wim

That's a pretty impressive collection they're launching for this, it's like a 're-edition'. Good job MB!