2 Won't Write In A Night

kmeredith923

I finally got 2 pens I've been waiting for. Nothing fancy, just a 2025 Aihao and a blue see through Jinhao 599.

I purchased a cartridge in each and outlet them alone for a few hours to give it time to ink. 12 hours later and nothing. What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kmeredith923

• linearM

• scrivelry

• Leeuwenhoek

You could take a baby ear syringe and try forcing some water through the section and nib. Also, are you sure your pushed the cartridge into the pan far enough to break the cartridge seal?

On the first pen I really thought I had the cartridge in far enough...there'd been a positive click. I guess I was wrong! I took it back out and reinserted it and it works! Not wonderfully, but I can fiddle with that.

In the second case, I knew the cartridge had been pierced since I could see a droplet of ink at the tip when I took it out of the pen. My bulb syringe won't be here until Tuesday so I had to think a little. Finally I took the empty screw type converter that came with it a flooded it through a few times with water. The water was ink tinged at first, so it had gotten a little ways in, just not enough. Then I switched back to the cartridge and after a bit of scribbling around it finally worked. Again, not well, but that's fixable.

Thanks so much for the help! It was driving me batty!!

I don't know about the first pen but I have found the jinhao 599 to be a very dry writer. At some point I must try to sort it out.

I don't know about the first pen but I have found the jinhao 599 to be a very dry writer. At some point I must try to sort it out.

It does indeed seem dry. Let me know if you manage to get it to run a little wetter! ;)

If you look at the nib and can't see any light at all through the slit, that may be the problem.

You had probably best either search for someone who knows what they are doing giving the answer of what you should do to it, or go ask in the repair forum.

Mine is writing now, but I'm not sure what I did was any one of the several approved things to do. I am pretty sure what I did to my Sheaffer 440 whose nib had no light visible at all is the kind of thing that makes real repair people shake their heads while they shrug and say "some people... what can you do?"

That one is also writing, but God was probably cutting me a break that day...

It is a good idea with any new pen to flush the nib and feed repeatedly (maybe a dozen times) with a mild detergent solution, and then with clean water, before you try to use it. If you have a converter, you can use that to draw liquid into the pen and push it out again. If you don't have a converter, you can always just dip the whole section in the liquid so that some pools in the top of the section, and then put the section to your lips and blow through it. Takes longer, but it works. For the clean-water flush, even just holding the section under a stream of running water works. But the bulb works better.

In any case, always flush, first with detergent, then with clean water, before first use, no matter who made the pen.

ron

It is a good idea with any new pen to flush the nib and feed repeatedly (maybe a dozen times) with a mild detergent solution, and then with clean water, before you try to use it. If you have a converter, you can use that to draw liquid into the pen and push it out again. If you don't have a converter, you can always just dip the whole section in the liquid so that some pools in the top of the section, and then put the section to your lips and blow through it. Takes longer, but it works. For the clean-water flush, even just holding the section under a stream of running water works. But the bulb works better.

In any case, always flush, first with detergent, then with clean water, before first use, no matter who made the pen.

ron

Wonderful advice for a newbie! I'm learning, but this is a whole new world!