Pen Engineer

Hello Fountain Pen Friends

I like to tell you, that for now at least, the final chapter on nibs has been completed. Here, I talk about, how all the technicalities we discussed before, are applied to the design of nibs.

I hope, you will have many questions, so I can answer them and be sure that you got the idea. But first, I would like to invite you to visit this page

How to... for Nibs

and as always

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Engineer

• Drone

• RMN

• Pickwick

glad to here :rolleyes:

While I may have your attention... I would like to drag some conversation onto my blog... perhaps some liking or even followings. How could I entice you? :blush:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Thank you for sharing what you have learned. Very interesting. I was reading about inks, and you stated that putting a small amount of detergent in your ink will forever change/ruin the feed. Does something happen to the surface of the plastic?

Thank you for sharing what you have learned. Very interesting. I was reading about inks, and you stated that putting a small amount of detergent in your ink will forever change/ruin the feed. Does something happen to the surface of the plastic?

detergents are surfactants. they change the behaviour of substances when they get in contact with each other. Have a look at my blog where I talk about that... here is the link

https://fountainpendesign.wordpress.com/feed-supply-ink-function-foutain-pen/surface-tension-contact-angle-fountain-pen/

and yes, they do something to the plastic as well, to the surface of the plastic of the feed in particular, which is treated at the end of its manufacturing process. This treatment is "removed"... I haven't written about this on my blog, yet.

I hope that answers your question

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Thanks, that basically answers my question.

Unfortunately, it turns out, people often advise to clean pens (for ex. this thread, and many others) with dishsoap, detergent, or ammonia, which I have also done (dishsoap and water).

In my own experience, a pelikan nib which I had washed with soap started behaving more hyrdophilically after using pelikan ink. So I'm guessing there is some feed-ink proprietary chemical combination.

If a ni

In my own experience, a pelikan nib which I had washed with soap started behaving more hyrdophilically after using pelikan ink. So I'm guessing there is some feed-ink proprietary chemical combination.

Your observation is correct. The nib would get more hydrophilic. And that would happen with any ink. During my research work, I would only use the company's ink for testing the feed. It is a finely tuned component and I did not want any other parameters cloud my work.

If a nib gets in contact of anything besides water or ink, the easiest way to clean it is: boil it in water, we used polyethylene glycol, a chemical used for dry cleaning clothes. The latter one can use also for neutralising a soiled feed... ours are made from ABS. If you don't know what material the feed is made from, test it first on one of the upper capillary chambers.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 2 weeks later...

??? Is this in response to a post in this topic? I can't really follow it??

D.ick

yes....

It is written on top of someone's image

OneRiotOneRanger

PS: He had a lot of bad things to say about my website (interesting) and seems to have a lot of cows

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

yes....

It is written on top of someone's image

OneRiotOneRanger

PS: He had a lot of bad things to say about my website (interesting) and seems to have a lot of cows

Actually, you already replied to this in April.... but thx again

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Actually, you already replied to this in April.... but thx again

D.ick

with time... one gets older... :huh: :) :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 3 weeks later...

nice website friend

Thanks, Vishal... I am working on a big chapter at the moment... surface treatment of feeds.... will be good... a few more days of proof reading

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

I like your spelling Ingeneer, however in my country the term Ingenieur (Ir. or Ing.) is an official title that requires a certain diploma.

I think the English "engineer" would be used for a designer of things, a machine-engineer, a software-engineer...

However, you are most welcome to visit the "it writes, but it is not a fountain pen...." forum. Often questions come up about the workings and design of ballpoints, rollerballs etc.

D.ick

I am an Engineer (an EE from the U.S.). Here in Indonesia where I currently reside, my title is "Insinyur" (abbr: Ir.). An "Insinyur" is typically degreed. The similarity with the term "Ingenieur" (abbr: Ir. or Ing.) as you are called in the Netherlands, is likely because Indonesia was a Dutch colony for almost 200 years (c. 1603-1800). That said - I am not familiar with the etymology of the synonymous title "Ingineer"; but I have seen it used before.

Enjoy... David

I am an Engineer (an EE from the U.S.). Here in Indonesia where I currently reside, my title is "Insinyur" (abbr: Ir.). An "Insinyur" is typically degreed. The similarity with the term "Ingenieur" (abbr: Ir. or Ing.) as you are called in the Netherlands, is likely because Indonesia was a Dutch colony for almost 200 years (c. 1603-1800). That said - I am not familiar with the etymology of the synonymous title "Ingineer"; but I have seen it used before.

Enjoy... David

Actually, in dayly use we in the Netherlands would use the term ingenieur (without capital) also in the meaning of designer: The ingenieurs at Philips designed a new musicsystem, meaning the development department.

It's interesting how language shifts over the ages and geographically.

(Oh, BTW, as far as I know Indonesia has been a Dutch colony up to 1948.... Probably 148 yrs too long in the view of many Indonesians.. But let's stay away from any political discussions about things like that.)

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Actually, in dayly use we in the Netherlands would use the term ingenieur (without capital) also in the meaning of designer: The ingenieurs at Philips designed a new musicsystem, meaning the development department.

It's interesting how language shifts over the ages and geographically.

(Oh, BTW, as far as I know Indonesia has been a Dutch colony up to 1948.... Probably 148 yrs too long in the view of many Indonesians.. But let's stay away from any political discussions about things like that.)

Whoops - you are (mostly) correct about the Dutch occupation. Sorry...

Excerpting:

Portuguese 1512–1850

Dutch East India Company 1602–1800

French and British interlude 1806–1815

Netherlands (Dutch) East Indies 1800–1942, 1945–1950

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_Indies

Edit to add: What the time-line from Wikipedia doesn't expand upon is the gap during WWII (1942-1945). For that period Indonesia was occupied by the Japanese. Until his passing a few years ago :( , I knew an elderly Indonesian gentleman who could speak not only standard Bahasa-Indonesia and Javanese, but Dutch and Japanese as well :)

My apologies to O.P. for getting so off-topic.

Regards, David

Edited by Drone

Hi pen engineer,

I've enjoyed reading your "fountain pen magic" website, a real source of knowledge, thanks for shearing!

Surely look forward reading your new article on the surface treatment of feeds !

Best regards from Flanders in Belgium ,

Francis

​PS : I've also enjoyed some articles on your other sites, specially "being here" touched me.

I went to a similar experience a few years ago, when I also - suddenly - realized : I'm "getting old"

Looks you're not only a talented engineer, but also an excellent writer !

Hi pen engineer,

I've enjoyed reading your "fountain pen magic" website, a real source of knowledge, thanks for shearing!

Surely look forward reading your new article on the surface treatment of feeds !

Best regards from Flanders in Belgium ,

Francis

​PS : I've also enjoyed some articles on your other sites, specially "being here" touched me.

I went to a similar experience a few years ago, when I also - suddenly - realized : I'm "getting old"

Looks you're not only a talented engineer, but also an excellent writer !

thanks.... :blush:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Enjoy... David

Hi David

When you click on the Ingeneer below my name, it should take you to my ingeneer's blog, where I write about the reasons why we should write engineer as ingeneer... somewhere in between there is meant to be a smile...

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 2 weeks later...

The chapter on Feeds made or Plastic has been published.

I trust you will find it interesting and enjoyable

https://fountainpendesign.wordpress.com/feed-supply-ink-function-foutain-pen/feeds-made-of-plastic/

You really had to drink the chalice to the last drop before you could enjoy the excellent results, congratulations!
Excellent revelatory contribution which I certainly will re-read several times to get all aspects.
Your perseverance is truly inspiring, thank you for shearing !
I am already eagerly awaiting your next article on feed design….
Francis